Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Wait I think we're getting our signals crossed. I am talking about using the edit metadata dialog or double clicking an entry to change the title case manually. Are you talking about using the bulk title case change function?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'm not entirely sure how the title got changed - I didn't intentionally change case, but I probably used the edit metadata dialog (not really sure). All I know is the case somehow is different in the DB than what's on the filesystem. This thread indicated that in several places Calibre changes the case auto-magically using the Daring Fireball logic. I'm assuming it's one of these automatic conversions that's doing this to me.

It's probably not the bulk convert dialog - I don't use that terribly often, and I run into this enough that I doubt I've used it on every single book I've seen this.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well if you can isolate a set of steps to reproduce it, let me know.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Just reproduced it. I had a book in my library called "The thirteenth tale", file name and db matched. I went to the edit metadata dialog, and clicked 'fetch data from server'. I chose a title that was the same other than case: "The Thirteenth Tale". After clicking ok the directory was updated with the new case, but the actual file was not.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

To be clear, the case of the folder containing the files changed but that of the files themselves did not?
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #21
ldolse
Wizard

Correct. Filename and folder case matched before editing the metadata. After editing the metadata as described the folder name matched the DB, but the filename was unchanged. Just double-confirmed it.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's weird, I really dont see how that's possible. Are you sure your filesystem is case sensitive?

Do the following steps:

1) Open the edit metadata dialog for some book
2) Change the case of one alphabet in the title
3) Press OK
4) Press O and see if the files have been renamed
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
ldolse
Wizard

My bad - I was under the impression that all hfsplus volumes were case sensitive. I just did my homework on hfsplus, turns out that OS X now defaults to non-case sensitive variant of hfsplus at the filesystem level, and my filesystem is NOT case sensitive.

There are still situations where case matters, which is why I was having the tab completion problem. I'm pretty sure there are others, but I can't remember a specific situation right now. I'm guessing this relates to Unix underpinnings and earlier versions of OS X which were always case sensitive...

BTW, Following your steps did not change the actual filename case, only the folder case.

Doing testing with the CLI afterward I validated that case didn't matter for directory navigation or calling the file for ebook-convert, it only mattered for tab completion.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

well yes on a case insensitive filesystem, there is no way to guarantee case matching between db and filesystem case in a robust way, so calibre doesn't try.