Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
This particular Stupid likes to check copyright dates as well as publication dates to avoid problems like that in the future. Copyright dates can still change, especially with edits and such, but usually get closer to the original publication date.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Stupid receives tangential email from headless chickens

Stupid wrote to Sony on 08/08/07. On the same day he or she received an autoresponse (love those headless chickens cackling in the background) as follows:
-----------------------
Your question has been received. We promise to respond to your incident as soon as possible, usually within one business day.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

-----------------------
Stupid did not choose to update his question. Stupid's Connect Support status remains "waiting". No credit has been entered into Stupid's Connect store account. On the 13th of August he or she received the following:
-----------------------
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message.
Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter
your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of
this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

ATTENTION AOL USERS: To update your question from our support site,
click the following link or paste it into your web browser.
http://ebooks.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/e...ted=1186566830

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Incorrect sales information on Connect Store site

Discussion Thread
Response (Jane) - 08/13/2007 12:30 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

When publishers determine the pricing for print books (their “List Price”),
they determine a separate List Price for the eBook version which is usually less
expensive than the print counterpart (sometimes 40% less). CONNECT then
provides an additional 20% discount to the customer. Some publishers have decided to
keep their eBook prices the same as print book prices, other book retailers may
discount that print title more than 20%, which would result in a deeper
discount. We continue to work with these publishers to urge them to discount their
eBook List Prices to provide you with the best eBook experience possible.

Separately, please keep in mind that with eBooks, there are no shipping fees or
sales tax, and you get the benefit of instant gratification.

If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question,
please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Customer - 08/08/2007 02:53 AM
If you examine my account history, you will find two ebook purchases on
7/27/2007 totaling $12.78. Both books were displayed with an alleged publication date
of 2007. I bought them because I thought they were new releases! When I
started reading them, I remembered having read them before. When I checked the
author's website, I saw they had been published in 1966 -- more than 40 years ago!

Please correct your publication dates where they are incorrect so your
customers can make informed buying decisions, and credit my account with $12.78
Thank you

Auto-Response - 08/08/2007 02:53 AM
Thank you for contacting CONNECT!

This message acknowledges receipt of your request for help. We will reply as
soon as possible.

If you need to add information or cancel your question, you can do so by
updating it through the questions subarea of the 'My Support History' section of
http://ebooks.custhelp.com, our support website.

Question Reference #070808-000003
Product Level 1: eBooks
Product Level 2: Billing (Purchase) Inquiry
Date Created: 08/08/2007 02:53 AM
Last Updated: 08/13/2007 12:30 PM
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Browser Version: Mozila Firefox
Connection Type: High speed DSL/Cable

[---001:002891:17963---]

-----------------------
On the 14th Stupid naively entered the following into the reply space delimited by the markers: "Issue not resolved. Request human intervention."

Hmmm. Maybe the naquita generators are offline

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-13-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: changing the text color so it is easier to read
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sorry to say this mogui but this last post cracked me up, I was laughing like crazy. You have a nice way of setting up 'the abscense of relations' between a computer and a human being. In French we call it "Un dialogue de sourds" roughly translated to 'a dialog of deafs' (like one at each end of a phone line)

I hope you won't get the 'run around' for too long yet and that the problem will be resolved.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

This very morning Stupid received another email from Sony Support. It has been seven days since he or she made his or her request for resolution of this problem. The excerpt from the email, below, which is not unlike the others, invites Stupid to have a telephone conversation with "live support technicians", which suggests Stupid had been previously corresponding with the dead ones thus accounting for the torpidity of their response.
----------------------
Discussion Thread
Response (Jane) - 08/14/2007 12:40 PM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sony Connect!

The issue you describe will require more extensive troubleshooting than can be
effectively handled through email. In order to save you time and potential
frustration, please contact our Support Team by phone. This will allow our live
support technicians to diagnose your issue further. We are available, toll-free,
at: 1-866-919-SONY (7669) from 10AM to 7PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday,
and from 11AM to 3PM Eastern Time Saturday and Sunday. Please have your
incident number available to expedite your service. We look forward to hearing from
you!
If the information I have provided does not completely answer your question,
please update this incident so I may be of further assistance to you.

Customer - 08/13/2007 07:42 PM
Issue not resolved. Request human intervention.

---------------------
Unfortunately Stupid is allergic to black holes. He or she doesn't wish to spend an afternoon on hold, even on a rainy day. Stupid is starting to think of Sony as a husband. What to do?

Thinking that Jane might like to have a new friend in China, Stupid replied: "Hi Jane. I would be happy to talk to a live person. Please call +86 158 xxxx xxxx. Thank you."

Last edited by mogui; 08-14-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: changed deepskyblue to red so the text can actually be read
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
mogui, please don't use DeepSkyBlue as a text color. It's very hard to read as the contrast is poor and the color is just way too bright. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
mogui, please don't use DeepSkyBlue as a text color. It's very hard to read as the contrast is poor and the color is just way too bright. Thanks!
Thanks. It is hard to know what others see. On my LCD monitors here, even the blue scroll bars in Windows are hard to see, but the DeepSkyBlue is OK. One of my newsletters comes in light gray text, and I have just given up on it. Your color choices work for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I changed the text color to Red and it's now readable. And as for being on hold. I've called the Connect Store's 800 number and I've not had to wait.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #23
mogui
eNigma

Stupid woke up this morning to find another polite email from Sony Support. It was a repeat of previous emails, adding only Stupid's latest message to the thread. It suggested that, should a reply not be forthcoming within 48 hours, the support issue would be deemed closed. Since he or she had not gotten a call from them, he or she wondered if they had read the email containing Stupid's phone number. Stupid had seen headless chicken chatbots on the internet before. He or she wondered what his or her idol, Alan Turing, would do. Stupid decided to do a test, so Stupid inserted a new message into the response section of Sony Support's email and sent it back to them. Stupid thought that if a human were reading the emails, he or she would get an intelligent reply, but if the email was only seen by a machine, the reply would be a nonsensical repeat of previous emails from Sony Support. Stupid's reply follows:

"I first saw the Sony Reader discussed in a Mobileread forum. It made me want one for my own. Soon I was in Fry's with my money in my hand. Publicity on Mobileread is important to the ebook community. Readers look back over old posts to see what they should buy."

Stupid knows that Sony Corporation is just chock full of honest sincere people who want to do the right thing. Stupid understands the lengths to which Sony Corporation would go to maintain its reputation for prompt, helpful, friendly, honest, sincere -- yes, even healthy and brave customer support! Stupid believes Sony didn't get to be one of the world's top virtual entities by being lax careless, indifferent, torpid, foolish, arrogant and dishonest. Stupid is pregnant with anticipation!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Stupid is pregnant with anticipation!
Okay, that's a mental image I didn't need.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #25
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
This stupid also did not have much of a wait calling Sony support...
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 AM   #26
mogui
eNigma

Stupid and Sony near reconciliation. Details follow.

On the 20th of August the Sony Connect store made an adjustment to Stupid's account. Stupid is greatly encouraged. He or she waited to see if Sony would send a support email to announce the fact, but none appeared. Stupid then tried to purchase a book with the returned money. He or she was disappointed to find that there was no way to use the money. Stupid sent a reply to Sony Support within the special delimiters that Sony Support requires. It reads as follows:
"[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]
I see that you have entered an account adjustment of $-12.78 into my connect store account. Thank you! Now can you please tell me how I can use this money? It was not added back into my Launch Promotion Balance which is still at $0.47. I selected a book to purchase. It appears in my shopping cart, but there is no cash balance showing in the cart and apparently no way to check out the purchase. What do you suggest?
[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]"

Stupid is excited over the possibility that he or she may soon be able to buy a new book!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very nice of Sony!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The $12.78 was most likely returned to the credit card on file.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #29
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The $12.78 was most likely returned to the credit card on file.
Ah, but there is no credit card on file.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

In an other line...

Stupid spent 5 minutes running for a watch before read time, only to remember Stupid has a wonderful little clock on his reader!