Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Elonex 511EB - £129 at Waterstones

The Elonex 511EB is now being sold at Waterstones for £129.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ducts/7364563/

This seems to be a re-badged WISEreader N520.

If I was buying another ereader at the moment, this would be high on my list because of the very low (for the UK) price. Especially when you consider that repairing my old CyBook Gen 3 would cost around £120.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quick question from the US - is that with VAT?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Ugh. I was supposed to hear when this was ready Ill have to ring up Elonex...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Quick question from the US - is that with VAT?
Yes. 15% at the moment. In the UK, when selling to consumers, rather than businesses, companies are required to include VAT in the advertised prices.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
I picked one of these up yesterday - I've written a fairly comprehensive review at http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...m-waterstones/.

It's a cheap and cheerful device - a few bugs, but nothing show-stopping. I reckon it's a steal for £130.
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edent View Post
I picked one of these up yesterday - I've written a fairly comprehensive review at http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...m-waterstones/.

It's a cheap and cheerful device - a few bugs, but nothing show-stopping. I reckon it's a steal for £130.
Excellent review thank you. I won't be buying one as I have enough ebook reading devices right now but it is certainly a very good price for the UK market.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I reckon its a rip off! ... but only compared to the sony 300 at £9 more from whsmiths.

A much nicer device for the money IMO

oh here is the deal http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...ookreader.aspx
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I reckon its a rip off! ... but only compared to the sony 300 at £9 more from whsmiths.

A much nicer device for the money IMO

oh here is the deal http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...ookreader.aspx
Depends which way you look at it but this has extra features which the prs-300 does not have being just a basic "no frills" reader. So I think for the added functionality, it is a very good price and worth consideration.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Depends which way you look at it but this has extra features which the prs-300 does not have being just a basic "no frills" reader. So I think for the added functionality, it is a very good price and worth consideration.
only extra feature i see is mp3 playback?

and has no sorting by author etc amnd cheaper build quality than the sony.

I think the have realised its poorer quality and are trying to shift them out.
but compertition is always good.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
poshm
Fanatic

Quote:

Text-to-speech, note-taking, memo-recorder (microphone inbuilt) and music player are the other features as far as I'm aware.

And yes competition is good, will hopefully start to bring prices down across the board
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
Quote:

It will sort by name, size and date. But it recognises directories, so if you have used something like Calibre to sort your authors, you should be fine.

As for build quality - it's 195 grammes or plastic - what do you expect? :-) It's slightly flexible but the construction seems solid to me.

As others have mentioned, TTS, 32GB card support, memo recorder and QWERTY - not to be sniffed at.

T
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I believe QWERTY is the major drawback for any dedicated eBook Reader. When I read The Lord of the Rings I do not want to see real life keyboard in front of my eyes. I want to immerse into fantasy world instead of a constant reminder of holding a computer in my hands.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edent View Post
It will sort by name, size and date. But it recognises directories, so if you have used something like Calibre to sort your authors, you should be fine.

As for build quality - it's 195 grammes or plastic - what do you expect? :-) It's slightly flexible but the construction seems solid to me.

As others have mentioned, TTS, 32GB card support, memo recorder and QWERTY - not to be sniffed at.

T
I just think for the price and for a device to read books on that for just £9 more the sony 300 is a better device, better buid quality, design (page turns on left side only is very silly imo).

thats it really.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
dazcox
Enthusiast
dazcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I'm really tempted by this, I have the Cool-er reader already and really like it but thinking of getting either a Sony PRS300 or this (want a 5" device). Can't be doing with Kindle and the DRM etc, I like my ebooks from WHSmith etc.

The PRS300 is very tempting, I will check this out tonight at Lakeside and see if I can get a hands on side by side with the sony, and i'll take my Cooler for comparision.

(Cooler is in the flea market for trade if anyones interested)
dazcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

I highkly recomend the 300, have played with and owned coolER 505 and 300.

I LOVE the 300 especially at the offer price linked above.