Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #196
mpetersen3
Enthusiast
mpetersen3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
-
- it is possible that the old binary update file above is not compatible with your modern jailbreak/OS version,
and this is the reason why you get U007 update error. Repacking the update binary
can help in this case. Please refer to jailbreak-related topics.
When you say repacking the binary I assume you mean compiling it manually is this correct? (Is there a way to compile it on the kindle with the tinyC compiler?)

I have no clue what you mean by 'jailbreak-related topics' but I will search around for some, is there any query in particular I can look for?
mpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #197
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
When you say repacking the binary I assume you mean compiling it manually is this correct?
No. I mean unpacking the update binary file using an older version of kindle_update_tool.py
and then packing it back using a newer version of that tool.
This is the topic where everything begins.
Sorry, I cannot provide you with more guidelines..

Just in case, I'm attaching the unpacked launchpad binary package in a form of gzipped
tar archive. Maybe this could help you to pack it using a newer tool, or even install launchpad manually.
This is something trivial for those who is familiar with linux.

HTH,

h1uke

P.S. I know nothing about the tinyC compiler and its usage..
Attached Files
File Type: gz lpad-pkg-source.tar.gz (41.7 KB, 238 views)
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #198
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

I realize I sound like a noob above, I didn't make the distinction between packaging (ie tar) and changing a binary into an update installer. After reading the python src and the scripts I understand what is going on. I never read this because I skipped the ss stuff (since it is non-functional, as a priority). I found the update packager script at v0.13 here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...te+tool&page=7 and successfully packaged it, then used the k3g, but to no effect, still the same U007 error. I have to run out now but later I may see if I can grep U007 in the source code for better understanding. I am also going to try installing some other update packages to see if I have the same problem. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #199
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mpetersen3: A U007 error means that the signature couldn't be verified on at least parts of the package (It usually means that the Kindle isn't jailbroken properly, or in the case of my jailbreak, that the hack isn't whitelisted). Given the info you've posted, you've been able to install usbnet, so that would indeed mean that you've got a working jailbreak, and that you should be able to use the launchpad packages, unless you happened to rename the .bin file when putting it on your Kindle, or messed up the whitelist somehow. You might want to check the logs to understand what's happening (;dumpMessages in debug mode).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-21-2011 at 11:14 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #200
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mpetersen3: A U007 error means that the signature couldn't be verified on at least parts of the package (It usually means that the Kindle isn't jailbroken properly, or in the case of my jailbreak, that the hack isn't whitelisted). Given the info you've posted, you've been able to install usbnet, so that would indeed mean that you've got a working jailbreak, and that you should be able to use the launchpad packages, unless you happened to rename the .bin file when putting it on your Kindle, or messed up the whitelist somehow. You might want to check the logs to understand what's happening (;dumpMessages in debug mode).
I was looking at yiour python code and saw that the more recent updates include some F[CD]0\d options, this looks like support for newer revs, though I assumed it is for 4.*. I used the build-updates.sh to invoke your .py script, but it didn't have any of those optional arguments so I didn't use them.

Strangely I had no /etc/whitelist file, so I created on with "update_launchpad_0.0.1c_k3g_install.bin", this led me to see error 3, at which point I was praying that I didn't own a brick (since I knew this was stupid and risky). It didn't thankfully.

Below is the ;debugMessages info I found pertaining to the original U007 update error. It appears that it is as you said and that there is a sig verification failed, more suspicious is that I noticed that on my first time using launchpad, and every time after I get W: We can't add another boot milestone. We already have 32 boot milestones and the maximum is 32

Since this sounds like it could be an issue with a max number of updates that can be installed ( and I uninstalled and installed the jailbreak and usbNet many times prior to posting here since I didn't quite get that ifconfig sets the gateway ip) I am going to back up my docs now and try to do a factory reset, hoping that will clear the max update issue.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #201
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

After resetting factory settings... I am no longer seeing the 32/32 issue, unfortunately I am getting a U004 error code when trying to run the jailbreak again.

When I type ~help I see that it still includes ~usbNetwork in its list of commands, however the feature doesn't seem to work anymore and the system goes straight to usb drive mode when plugged in.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #202
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mpetersen3:

* You shouldn't need to rebuild the packages.

* The whitelist is actually in [/mnt/us/]linkjail/etc/whitelist

* Don't restart your Kindle with a custom .bin, always use the 'Update Your Kindle' link, that's the cause of our error 3.

* I'll need an actual logdump to check that the jailbreak isn't doing something funny, not just a snippet . (The boot milestone warning is unrelated to any of this, that's a standard warning from the framework [basically, it means that the framework has been restarted a lot since the last full boot, but that shouldn't ever cause any real trouble]).

* A factory reset doesn't uninstall the hacks, it just disable most of them, since we usually rely on stuff in the userstore, which is wiped by the factory reset process. Put the linkjail & usbnet folder from the latest packages back in there, and that should clear things up.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #203
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

I never meant to restart, that must've been an error on my part. Fat fingers, hehe.

Hmm that is unusual, the reason I used /etc/whitelist was that another thread mentioned it for the U007 error and someone said it worked. They must've specified the wrong dir.

The odd thing for me is that I know I didn't have the file you are talking about. I had aliased ls="ls -al" on the kindle and looked in that file quite a few times, all it had was the standard stuff plus a folder like "usbNet".

Are there any threads on here where the actuall packing and install method is discussed? I'd like to learn more about what the install actually automates. I'll post the whole logdump as an attachment when I get to work in a bit.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #204
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

Hmm, the reason I used the /etc/whitelist was that I have never seen /mnt/us/linkjail and I have been looking in that folder with ls -al. It seems like my system's fs looked the same, I did have /mnt/us/usbNet (or something like that).

Are there any threads talking about what goes on during the kindle update install?

I will post the logs in a bit when I get to work.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #205
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

Sorry for the double post here are the logs

http://www.4shared.com/file/_00TbdmI...bgLogstar.html
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #206
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

I didn't know which files you meant should be on the userstore, so I unpacked the 0.10.N jailbreak and the 0.35.N usbnetwork files, from what I can tell by reading the build scripts it looks like I needed to copy the linkjail folder and the usbnet folders back to my /mnt/us (this is assuming that nothing in the side of the fs I can't access has been removed by the factory reset).

Udpate: this appears to have fixed my ssh/scp/telnet

Last edited by mpetersen3; 11-22-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: udpate
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #207
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

After this I tried installing launchpad again..but no luck

I tried copying the launchpad install but no luck same u007 error, back to square one, but at least I have learned alot thus far.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #208
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
I tried copying the launchpad install but no luck same u007 error, back to square one, but at least I have learned alot thus far.
congratulations!
Quote:
Are there any threads talking about what goes on during the kindle update install?
kindle update install, actually, consists of two major stages. The first stage is dedicated
to all that security stuff, and results into a decision if the requested update accepted or not.
Personally I find the above pretty boring, so don't know any details. I'm OK with the fact that
this allows me to write and deploy any code I want. That's more than enough for me.
The second stage is the actual install, and usually is controlled by install.sh script.
This script copies the binaries which constitute a 'hack' to the userstore (/mnt/us on Kindle)
and, if needed, creates some scripts to /etc/init.d and creates extra entries in /etc/rcS.d
and symbolic links to them. All this /etc stuff is needed mostly to enable the 'hack' to be activated
on startup.

HTH,

h1uke

P.S. it is 100% OK to be a noob. But you are certainly not the one
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #209
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

OT

Thanks for the reply Hluke,
Having now looked at the install.sh scripts in some hacks I have figured out as much, there is still some other stuff I am curious about that seems kindle specific, like what file ~help is drawing from, but I am sure that is in the scripts since it gets changed, I will pore over them in depth at some point in the next few days when I am avoiding my family.

I have wanted to hack my kindle as a way of learning more about linux (primarily the kernel of which I understand nothing), and to have an environment I can contribute to that I feel isn't so built up as everyday desktop linux. I know C and Java, linux is newer to me (I have only been using *nix for about a year, but not fulltime until recently with arch).

Once I can get your launchpad to work I would like to start programming/porting some stuff in c for the kindle.

p.s. your p.s. message confused me, are you making a matrix reference?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #210
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mpetersen3: I can't find a trace of *any* jailbreak installed in your logs o_O.