Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Micro SDHC in adaptor vs SDHC

Hi all

I've been playing with my new 650 all day and loving it. I see Sony is honest enough to acknowledge that using an SD card will impact battery life, but I wouldn't mind being able to carry around a little extra data in those slots I paid for!

After a little googling I'm still none the wiser as to whether a MicroSD card in an SD adapter would be easier on the battery than a full sized SDHC card. I have an 8GB Sandisk uSDHC and an 8GB Sandisk SDHC, so all other things being equal I wonder if the smaller card uses less juice.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I can't imagine they would be any different. It is still external flash memory, despite the physical size of the card.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
from what I can google they're the same except for the form
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks guys. It was worth a thought anyway!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Hi all

I've been playing with my new 650 all day and loving it. I see Sony is honest enough to acknowledge that using an SD card will impact battery life, but I wouldn't mind being able to carry around a little extra data in those slots I paid for!

After a little googling I'm still none the wiser as to whether a MicroSD card in an SD adapter would be easier on the battery than a full sized SDHC card. I have an 8GB Sandisk uSDHC and an 8GB Sandisk SDHC, so all other things being equal I wonder if the smaller card uses less juice.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!
I have a 4GB SD in my 650, and I have loaded all the books on it.
(currently 300+)

I dont load any books in the main memory.
I use my reader 3 - 5 hours a day, it was last charged on 26/10/2010, and currently the battery is showing 75% full.

However I have found that if I leave it in standby the battery drains a lot quicker, that if I power it of completely between reading sessions.

So I always power it off completely when not using it.

HTH
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
tpw
Zealot

Thanks for that MaxLV . So do you think the battery drains faster in standby mode when you have a card in? Or does it drain at the same speed regardless of card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
I have a 4GB SD in my 650, and I have loaded all the books on it.
(currently 300+)

I dont load any books in the main memory.
I use my reader 3 - 5 hours a day, it was last charged on 26/10/2010, and currently the battery is showing 75% full.

However I have found that if I leave it in standby the battery drains a lot quicker, that if I power it of completely between reading sessions.

So I always power it off completely when not using it.

HTH
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Hmm, that's interesting. The screen definitely doesn't draw power in standy, could be the SD Card. I'm travelling with my 650 for a fortnight in a few days, will test and see whats the scene. I have a micro sd card in an adapter.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Thanks for that MaxLV . So do you think the battery drains faster in standby mode when you have a card in? Or does it drain at the same speed regardless of card?
I haven't tested it without the SD card so I cant say if the battery would drain faster.

I dont know if it woulld as SD cards dont need to draw a 'trickle' current from the reader to retain it's contents.

At the moment I think leaving the reader in standby mode with or without an SD card or memory stick would drain the battery faster than powering it off completely between reading sessions as that has been my experience so far.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
beppe.bounces
beppe.bounces began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-650
What about a Memory Stick card? Would the power drain issue be less immportant? I want to buy a card of 8Gb for my PRS-650 just to put audio files on it (books are in main memory). So it would not be there permanently. What would you suggest? Memory Stick? Micro with adaptor? SD? SDHC? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance
beppe.bounces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
If I were to purchase a memory card, it would be one that is the most universal among my personal elec devices. In my case it would be SD or Micro-SD. The only product I own that could use a memory stick is the Sony Reader.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What is considered a serious drain... amongst others, I have a 505, with a 16GB SDHC card, that I recharge around every week to ten days. It is never switched off, only put in standby and I read at least two hours per day, up to six on a lazy day. As this means (worst case) 52 charges per year and this battery type (depending on your source) is good for 400-1000 charges that works out at around 8-20 years of use... if the rest lasts that long, I'd be really happy...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
MaxLV
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What is considered a serious drain... amongst others, I have a 505, with a 16GB SDHC card, that I recharge around every week to ten days. It is never switched off, only put in standby and I read at least two hours per day, up to six on a lazy day. As this means (worst case) 52 charges per year and this battery type (depending on your source) is good for 400-1000 charges that works out at around 8-20 years of use... if the rest lasts that long, I'd be really happy...
2 weeks into my testing of standby mode compared to power off between reading sessions...

Last charge was on 31/12/2010 when the battery meter showed 50% (2 bars) used/remaining.

Today 10 January it's down to 50% (2 bars) again and the last 2 days I haven't done as much reading as I usually do.

So putting the reader on standby rather than powering off between reading sessions definately drains the battery faster, although it's still better than Sony's 14 days between full charges.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #13
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
The screen definitely doesn't draw power in standy, could be the SD Card.
Nah. SD Card definitely doesn't draw power in standby. Keeping RAM up and runing does (inevitably).
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote