Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
kiliimanjaro
kiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enough

Device: PW1
Best way to jailbreak 5.7.2.1?

So I bought a used Paperwhite 3 (7th Gen) from eBay and it is currently running firmware 5.7.2.1 and I want to be able to jailbreak it solely for the ability to display book covers when it's locked.

I'm unsure of my options. Am I able to jailbreak the current firmware, or can I upgrade to a specific firmware that is able to be jailbroken?

If I am able to upgrade, is there a way to stop automatic updates from occurring to ensure that I don't lose the jailbreak?

I had a search through the forums but I couldn't find anything specific to the version that I'm on.
kiliimanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you update the firmware to 5.9.6.1 you can follow the instructions in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086
to jailbreak. That thread is specific to the PW3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliimanjaro View Post
So I bought a used Paperwhite 3 (7th Gen) from eBay and it is currently running firmware 5.7.2.1 and I want to be able to jailbreak it solely for the ability to display book covers when it's locked.

I'm unsure of my options. Am I able to jailbreak the current firmware, or can I upgrade to a specific firmware that is able to be jailbroken?

If I am able to upgrade, is there a way to stop automatic updates from occurring to ensure that I don't lose the jailbreak?

I had a search through the forums but I couldn't find anything specific to the version that I'm on.
Given you're on a very low firmware version, you could do either 5.7.4 or 5.9.6.1 factory firmware jailbreak.

The method is the same on both. 5.7.4 just gives you more options for firmware version you can run afterwards in case you want to stick to the more Kindlet friendly 5.8 or lower.

On the other hand, 5.9.6.1 does give you native support for custom fonts.

As for blocking updates, create a folder named update.bin.tmp.partial on the Kindle root/top level directory (e.g. D: or something on Windows). You'll need to do this right away before connecting to wifi to prevent automatic updates before you install factory firmware.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #4
kiliimanjaro
kiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enoughkiliimanjaro will become famous soon enough

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If you update the firmware to 5.9.6.1 you can follow the instructions in this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086
to jailbreak. That thread is specific to the PW3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Given you're on a very low firmware version, you could do either 5.7.4 or 5.9.6.1 factory firmware jailbreak.

The method is the same on both. 5.7.4 just gives you more options for firmware version you can run afterwards in case you want to stick to the more Kindlet friendly 5.8 or lower.

On the other hand, 5.9.6.1 does give you native support for custom fonts.

As for blocking updates, create a folder named update.bin.tmp.partial on the Kindle root/top level directory (e.g. D: or something on Windows). You'll need to do this right away before connecting to wifi to prevent automatic updates before you install factory firmware.
Thanks! I managed to get it up and running on 5.9.6.1 and got my book cover showing up on the Lock Screen!
kiliimanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote