Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Onyx Boox touchscreen weirdness

I have just bought an Onyx Boox Boox Poke 3 and the touchscreen behavior is very strange, doesn't detect my touch precisely. It means I have to touch everything a couple of millimeters right and a bit down than where my target really is. So, on the very left side of the screen nothing happens, and the weirdest things is that the right bezel completely sensitive for touch! Yes, the black one. Insane. Have you heard anything like that? Have you experienced anything similar with the bigger Onyx Boox readers? DO you know about some touchscreen calibration possibility?
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post
I have just bought an Onyx Boox Boox Poke 3 and the touchscreen behavior is very strange, doesn't detect my touch precisely. It means I have to touch everything a couple of millimeters right and a bit down than where my target really is. So, on the very left side of the screen nothing happens, and the weirdest things is that the right bezel completely sensitive for touch! Yes, the black one. Insane. Have you heard anything like that? Have you experienced anything similar with the bigger Onyx Boox readers? DO you know about some touchscreen calibration possibility?
Describe the problem in feedback

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-06-2021 at 09:27 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
arab
arab began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post

snip

DO you know about some touchscreen calibration possibility?
Yes. Try Settings -> Applications -> Stylus Calibration
arab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arab View Post
Yes. Try Settings -> Applications -> Stylus Calibration
Thats not available on Pokes
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
LittleBiG
Zealot

I sent it back and am waiting for the replacement. However, reading the forum, I am a bit apprehensive.
Advert
Old 01-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Phew, I thought this was only me! Some examples: in Neoreader, I have to tap the bookmark over a dozen times to get it to take. (The bookmark is so far in the corner, I tried adusting margins, but this didn't affect the bookmark position.) I have the floating tool bar hidden, but swiping it to appear is like playing a slot machine, completely random when it will work. I also have some weirdness with the lighting controls that seem to give me different results each time I go from day reading to night reading and try to recreate what I had previously. I've now seen a few posts about screen issues on the Poke 3 both here and on Facebook. I have about one more week before I can return mine to Best Buy. Not sure whether to refund or exchange. Another random oddity, albeit insignificant -- one day what looked like a weird ink splotch appeared on my gear icon on the bottom of the page...and then disappeared next time I woke my Poke. BTW, although I always set it to standby, when I go to turn it on next time, if it's not right away, it powers up from scratch. Is there a setting so that it will stay in standby?
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #7
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Also wanted to add, I wrote Onyx a DM on Facebook a couple of days ago and have not gotten a reply, so I don't know if this is a known problem or not.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
LittleBiG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
Also wanted to add, I wrote Onyx a DM on Facebook a couple of days ago and have not gotten a reply, so I don't know if this is a known problem or not.
My replacement will arrive on Monday, I will tell you if it is worth to get a replacement or you should get back your money instead. And please send me the answer of Onyx if you will have any.

I first experienced the problem in the lower right corner, the same behaviour as yours with the bookmark. But the reason is the shifted touchscreen you should touch the bezel practically.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
GoodCompany
Connoisseur

@LittleBiG That would be great, thank you! Also, I'm going to follow @ottischwenk's advice and contact them at "Feedback" on the device later today. (I hadn't noticed that that was there before.)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
LittleBiG
Zealot

When my problem appeared, I did send feedback on my reader. The answer was that they keep trying to do things better or something like that
Old 01-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #11
LittleBiG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
@LittleBiG That would be great, thank you! Also, I'm going to follow @ottischwenk's advice and contact them at "Feedback" on the device later today. (I hadn't noticed that that was there before.)
I can confirm, that the replacement works perfectly. The difference between the 2 readers was that the faulty one came with the firmware from 9th Nov, and I had to upgrade it to the 19th Nov one, but this new Poke 3 came with 19th Nov originally.
So you can indeed try getting a replacement.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #12
GoodCompany
Connoisseur

That little "weird ink splotch (that) appeared on my gear icon" turned out to be an alert that there was an update available. Totally fixed my issues as well. Happy camper. Glad to hear you are all squared away as well, thank you for the update!