Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #31
adnan007
adnan007 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjava View Post
The battery look really shitty
What if you don't do the hassle of changing the battery and keep it as it is and then just keep using the device with the power bank always plugged in? Yes, eventually the device internal battery will die, but will it still be able to run with power drawn from the power bank?
adnan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #32
mlslzrvc
mlslzrvc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan007 View Post
What if you don't do the hassle of changing the battery and keep it as it is and then just keep using the device with the power bank always plugged in? Yes, eventually the device internal battery will die, but will it still be able to run with power drawn from the power bank?

Hi adnan007,

in my case just it has happened. For some time I have been using power bank connected via USB charging port. When battery died the device could not been boot until the battery has been changed.
mlslzrvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #33
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
it seems like a problem of onyx devices that when connected, the device still uses battery energy instead of skipping the battery and using straight it from the USB like 99% of the similar devices, killing the batteries pretty fast.

Usually a phone, laptop or tablet can last 3/4 years of heavy usage without problems and here we have devices dying after 1 year.

Doesn't look good for onyx.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #34
notwaiting
notwaiting began at the beginning.

Device: mimas a2 a5 max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlslzrvc View Post
Hi,

Finally I have managed to replace battery. [...]

3.7 v 4100 mAh 3 wire lipo battery; size: 2.6 mm x 80 mm x 159 mm [...]

When I was totally disappointed I came on local battery repair shop that was willing to modify one of the batteries which they sells. It was Asus Nexus battery
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-B.../dp/B01HNSCD88

The battery has got 6 wires, they replaced it with PCB from my battery which has got 3 wires. I got the new battery for 30 euros. I hope it will last more than original one.
Thinking of ordering one. Is that possible/easy to do manually? Anyone? Or might somewhere local do it? I use my max2 as a monitor constantly in fast refresh so I know the battery will die at some point.

The power bank solution could be OK. I use a laptop, so I could just keep it powered by the usb port, but the ones on my laptop have a tendency for a faulty connection, so I too would probably use a power bank in between the laptop and the monitor, with the added benefit that I could reboot without worrying (as much) about the monitor cutting out.

This "cutting out", however, is exactly what caused a previous device to take its last breath, after its battery stopped working, namely, the n96ml: another onyx model.

Last edited by notwaiting; 05-27-2020 at 06:48 AM.
notwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Test test.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:25 AM   #36
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlslzrvc View Post
Hi,

<...>
Hello, how is your Boox holding up with this battery? I am deciding about buying a battery for Note (the dimensions seems to fit) and not sure how it would hold up. Thanks.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #37
takax
takax began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Why?

Someone removed my previous comment.
Are you itchy guy?

Last edited by issybird; 01-21-2021 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Grossly oversized and pointless image deleted.
takax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by takax View Post
Someone removed my previous comment.
Are you itchy guy?
No, they didn’t. And please read the guidelines before posting an image again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #39
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Hello,
On my Max2, I just replaced the Onyx battery with a new one (C11-ME370T for Google Asus Nexus 7 1st Generation Release 2012 as described in this thread). (23€ all included !)
Not very easy, but with care, I did it and it works !

The most difficult point is to remove the plastic sheet that covers the screws. With a knife (rounded end) I could do it with only a few scratches. Keep this sheet far from dust as you may put it later back in place without adding glue.
It's then easy to remove the screws (very small ones !) and open the Max2 to find the battery.

The Onyx battery is fitted with a small printed board that you must put on the new battery (with some wires due to the different dimensions), after you removed it's own printed board. Soldering is mandatory, taking care that you must not warm a Lithium battery. Take real care !!!

Note : on the new battery, there are 2 black wires that go into the battery : no problem, it's just a thermal sensor that is not needed. Pull the wires and the sensor comes, then detach the printed board from the battery : not needed.
Note 2 : in the attached file, the photo of the plastic sheet is not from me, but can be found in this thread.

After charging, the battery seems to work properly, as if the Max2 was new.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BattReplace.zip (1.42 MB, 559 views)
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #40
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Thanks so much for this thread! This weak my battery broke, it might die soon. It's disappointing as it was in a very good condition, then I haven't been using the reader for a few months, taken it out of the drawer just this weak. The battery went down to 4x% (46% I think) and suddenly the reader stopped responding. When I connected the power adapter it started charging and booted again. Now I can see that it dies at 67%.

Buying replacement battery

Woohoo, some company started selling replacement batteries. I've ordered one. Once I'll get it installed I'll let you know how well it performs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002608197116.html

I keep my fingers crossed, but sometimes such replacement batteries have poor capacity or/and longevity. I just know nothing about the brand.

Last edited by plusz; 08-05-2021 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Add link to a replacement battery
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #41
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I managed to replace the battery. The hardest part was to remove the old one. It was firmly glued to the thin aluminum body which made me nervous to apply force to remove it. Secondly the wires were soldered with some really hard tin. In the end I just cut them out rather than de-soldering. Interestingly the red wire was soldered to a pod with '-' symbol, the black wire to a pod with '+' symbol

Anyway I installed this battery, from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002608197116.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	rograpo.png
Views:	224
Size:	922.2 KB
ID:	188964

Surprisingly it was produced for a german company "E-CrossStu Gmbh"

What was nice the battery was provided with a plug which fitted in the empty socket on the board so I didn't have to solder the wires.

Unfortunately that's where the good news end. It doesn't work well yet. It was charged at ~50% when I installed it. I charged it to 100% and started using it, then I noticed that it seems to drop the charge quicker than I expected so I opened youtube via the built-in browser. It took about 30 minutes of watching videos to make the tablet die suddenly at about 40%. I'm charging it again but the battery meter started from 11%. In the end I hope it's just a matter of calibration by doing a full charge/discharge cycle.

Anyway, it's suspicious. The original battery was working well, then one day it started to drain quickly and switch off at about 47%. I thought it was just a battery issue but now I'm puzzled. Maybe it's caused by the firmware update. Perhaps I should also try to wipe out the device and start from scratch.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #42
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Interestingly the red wire was soldered to a pod with '-' symbol, the black wire to a pod with '+' symbol
Ouch, that would scare me.
I often screw around with battery connectors and I like to make darn sure that I understand everything and I have it all straight.
(Ok, I'm more prone to do battery-ectomies than battery replacements.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotspot3.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	188968  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #43
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I thought it was just a battery issue but now I'm puzzled. Maybe it's caused by the firmware update. Perhaps I should also try to wipe out the device and start from scratch.
Sounds very much like the battery issue which I was having with my Note Pro. Replaced the battery, and all is as it was. Didn't need to wipe the device and start anew.

Hopefully, your new battery just needed to recalibrate itself.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #44
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Most devices try to be clever with figuring out battery charge (which is not simple).
They count the electrons going in and out.
So if you have a dead battery and it says 10% and you replace it with a fully charged battery your device will say, "Wait, it was at 10% and now the voltage is suddenly higher but I haven't seen any electrons going in. Therefore it must still be at 10%."

I've run into this problem a lot.
You can't just tell it, "Dude, it's at 4.2V, you're telling me that's 10%?"

This is my JetPack which has plenty of voltage but it's too stupid to notice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotspot4.png
Views:	200
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	188970  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #45
plusz
Addict

Unfortunately the dedicated replacement battery is dead. I do not recommend buying it. Before finding that one I had already bought online the Nexus battery. It was a hassle to replace the charging board, but I managed, works perfectly!

I tested the batteries by opening youtube in the built in browser, watching an old movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9c1T-ZukQA

The dedicated replacement battery consistently died below 50% at about 30 minutes of the movie.

Name:	boox-batt-0.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	188977

The Nexus battery also loose charge quickly watching the movie, but it holds well till the end.

Name:	boox-batt-1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	188978

It's really subjective, but it feels like the reader is working noticeably faster with the Nexus battery.

I've never watched movies on this tablet before so I have no idea if the 1h of playtime is a good result or not. At least the Nexus battery behaves consistently. I guess the e-ink draws much more power than a typical IPS display on a phone when it's continually updated at max refresh rate (I think it can get up to 20 fps).

Well, I'll see if I can use it again for a whole week without charging for a basic reading.