Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #301
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It appears that you are defending Amazon's statement that for only $70, you get a free WAN connection. Your definition of free is very different from mine. It appears you consider $2 per month as being equivalent to free whereas to me, free means no additional cost.
As myself and others have pointed out, you are also paying for the cellular modem in the device. You are correct that it isn't completely free, but you don't have to pay anything extra after you purchase the device, and you can use the connectivity for as long as you own the device (or, at least, for as long as that form of connectivity is supported. I know that some places are turning off access to the 3g network that was in the Kindle Keyboard, the first few Paperwhites and the Voyage) I still have a Kindle Keyboard with 3g that works just fine.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Eventually in the US, 3g will be a thing of the past.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #303
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Eventually in the US, 3g will be a thing of the past.
I'm sure you're right...in the meantime, my 11 year old Kindle Keyboard still works fine and connects to 3g. Up until my mom died a little over a year ago, it was in use every day...now it gets charged monthly and used occasionally. My Voyage also connects to 3g just fine, and gets used almost every day--it lives in my purse and is used when I am out of the house.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #304
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm sure you're right...in the meantime, my 11 year old Kindle Keyboard still works fine and connects to 3g. Up until my mom died a little over a year ago, it was in use every day...now it gets charged monthly and used occasionally. My Voyage also connects to 3g just fine, and gets used almost every day--it lives in my purse and is used when I am out of the house.

Shari
3G is going away within a few years, it's already gone away in some areas. Verizon had planned to shutdown 3G at the end of 2020, but that's on hold.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/att-apolo...twork-shutdown

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/tech/...sed/index.html
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #305
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
some Kindle 2s and everything after that with cellular use AT&T which I believe says 3G is going away February 2022
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #306
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
3G going away is going to be good for Amazon. If those with the 3G only Kindles still want cell services, they will have to replace their Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #307
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Except I thought that Kindles were sold near cost.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote