Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Only an idea

Is it possible to create .exe file so that the users connect the kobo to Windows, double click on the setup.exe, and KOreader will be automatically installed?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Is it possible to create .exe file so that the users connect the kobo to Windows, double click on the setup.exe, and KOreader will be automatically installed?
Yes.

It is also possible to create .exe so than users double click on the setup.exe and be forwarded to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220, where they follow a tutorial for having KOreader almost automatically installed.

In both cases it is a bad idea as binaries are opaque by nature and you'll need to trust the person that shares them.

Also an app that does that for a specific platform needs to leverage platform specific APIs to deal with stuff like: partition mounting/checking, downloading bundles and editing text files.

Using cross platform toolkits like Qt or WxWidgets will result in a installer bigger that the package it is going to install. So the solution would be using C/C++ for the core, libcurl for dealing with https and winforms/cocoa/gtk for the UI.

Then with the app ready to go find a person that wants to keep it updated and build it periodically for each platform.

And all that just for one target.

Very bad idea but you can prove me wrong
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
The one-click install package is very easy to use to install. So really, no need for a .exe to do it for you. The directions are very easy to follow.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:20 AM   #4
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pazos, is it possible to create at least a .bat file that run the steps of the installation script in the second post?
(I'd like to try, though I seldom made a .bat file)
Old 06-02-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The script essentially *is* a (much better) batch file.

If you're asking about making it unattended, that could obviously be done, but it's not something I'm interested in (mainly because I feel like it'd make it *less* user-friendly).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The script does miss the hidden folder thing I think, or has that changed in the meantime?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It does it (in fact, that was the main drive behind creating it in the first place ;p) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:28 AM   #8
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The script essentially *is* a (much better) batch file.

If you're asking about making it unattended, that could obviously be done, but it's not something I'm interested in (mainly because I feel like it'd make it *less* user-friendly).

After seen the eredear cluttered with files of many formats, I always used the script to install KOreader. The first time I run the script, I trinketed a while with it; I managed to make it work and install KOreader. Flawlessly.

Friends of mine were interested in KOreader. Then, I thought: could I run the steps (for the script of course) in an easier way? For this reason I was wondering about writing a .bat file
Old 06-06-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It does it (in fact, that was the main drive behind creating it in the first place ;p) .
Hm, I seem to recall running into that issue when I tried to follow the instructions. Or maybe it was a matter of default PowerShell being too old or something and accidentally skipping something when using the script as documentation instead. In any case I've had some minor (easy to resolve) issues with it. :P
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote