Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
devnulldude08
devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N96ML
Is the N96ML screen any better than the Kindle DX?

I have a 2nd generation Kindle DX. I don't really use it too often anymore due to no light, slowness and no touch screen.

The N96ML looks interesting but it seems to have the exact same screen as the Kindle DX? 1200 @150 PPI is that the case? Is the text crisp? I've noticed on my DX the text can be somewhat jagged.

I guess what I'm asking is how much of an improvement would the N96ML be over a Kindle DX?

thanks!
devnulldude08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A good question.

I'd like some thoughts on this, too, please.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
devnulldude08
devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.devnulldude08 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

curiosity has gotten the better of me and I ordered one. Should be here this week and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnulldude08 View Post
curiosity has gotten the better of me and I ordered one. Should be here this week and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thank you!

I look forward to your thoughts on this.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #5
devnulldude08

ok, just got it today so this is my first impression after a few hours. It's MUCH better than the DX in nearly all ways.

The text actually renders better and not as jagged as the DX, PDFs are much easier to navigate and look much better than the DX, and it's faster.

I also got the N96ML with the light. The light is quite nice. I just read in the dark for 30 mins and it was perfect, with nice, even light. It's not as bright as a kindle but honestly you don't need it to be.

I think this could hit my perfect e-reader device if they upgrade to a better screen / resolution on the next release. e..g carta or mobius with higher resolution.

Bottom line:
It's not as crisp as my kobo h20 or kindle paperwhite but it's better than the DX.
Advert
Old 06-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
ok, just got it today so this is my first impression after a few hours. It's MUCH better than the DX in nearly all ways.
I wonder if this is the issue of the screen or of the software. The Kindle DX provides somewhat better quality of text visibility if a different firmware is installed (of some other model of Kindle).
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The text actually renders better and not as jagged as the DX, PDFs are much easier to navigate and look much better than the DX, and it's faster.

I also got the N96ML with the light. The light is quite nice. I just read in the dark for 30 mins and it was perfect, with nice, even light. It's not as bright as a kindle but honestly you don't need it to be.

I think this could hit my perfect e-reader device if they upgrade to a better screen / resolution on the next release. e..g carta or mobius with higher resolution.

Bottom line:
It's not as crisp as my kobo h20 or kindle paperwhite but it's better than the DX.

Thank you for your thoughts on the new N96ML.

It didn't take you long to get it!

I'm very tempted, but living here in Peru, it would take an extremely long time to get here.

Where did you order yours from?

--Thanks!

ADDED
: I have the Kindle DX-G, which I love for reading - but only when lighting conditions are ideal. Unfortunately, it has developed an electronic issue whereby the screen fades when pushing a few buttons or when going back and then forward. And sometimes, the text will fade for no apparent reason at all. For that reason, I find myself frustrated and use it very, very infrequently.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-02-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
devnulldude08

Amazon had it for Prime delivery and I paid an extra $3 for next day
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Amazon had it for Prime delivery and I paid an extra $3 for next day
Even your replies are quick!

-- I'm glad you're enjoying it. Your enthusiasm is catching!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
i had preordered the onyx boox max but they had some supply issues. ended up getting the N96 dual touch -- this screen is much better than the kindle DX too!

i heard the N96ml / Max might have a sharper screen because it lacks the touch screen, can anyone confirm?

i have a kindle voyage and love the backlight on it, but in the end i decided giving up the touch screen was too hard, so i got the N96 over the N96 ML, and use a portable LED light thing around my neck when reading in bed. the N96 stylus is already collecting dust, no need for my usage
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Albico
Albico began at the beginning.

Device: K3, Paperwhite, DXG, Onyx N96
Cool Readability DXG vs Onyx N96 Dual Screen

Upon receiving my Onyx N96 I copied some texts to it(books in PDF format) which I also had on my DXG, and started comparing.

The font reproduction on my DXG was better. I opened a few different books.
I have updated the firmware (from the ereader store.de)

The starting this reader is very slow. The reaction time to commands is slow.
Maybe I have to try a different PDF reader, but I would not really know an alternative reader that can be installed.
As different recent users of this ereader seem to be rather satisfied with the crispness of reproduced fonts, I wonder if I'm missing something which needs to be taken care of first.

If I cannot find a solution within 5 day, I must report the reader as not producing the standard quality.
Has anyone been confronted with this problem?
Albico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you for your thoughts, Albico.

These devices will never be 'crisp', due to the low DPI. However, they can be sharp and easy to read, because of the larger-sized fonts employed when reading. With lower-sized fonts, the jaggies start to show, as it does on my DX-G.

There was another thread somewhere here at Mobileread that compared (I think) the screens of both the n96 and the n96ml.

For me, one of the joys of owning the DX-G is that it feels like I'm reading from a hardback book. Sure, it's heavier than a smaller ebook reader, but sitting in a comfortable chair and wearing a smoking jacket and a glass of wine next to me, my slippers clasped lovingly in Spot's mouth, and a warm glow from the fireplace....well, what more can one wish for?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-03-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
devnulldude08

Update, I wound up selling it on ebay last week. The display just isn't as good as what I'm looking for out of a modern ereader. The pearl is just too jagged and inconsistent. The device is also really slow, startup time is in minutes and it wasn't as good with PDFs as I'd hope. I wound up getting the kobo aura one. I'm also looking at how the 13.3" field goes this year.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Update, I wound up selling it on ebay last week. The display just isn't as good as what I'm looking for out of a modern ereader. The pearl is just too jagged and inconsistent. The device is also really slow, startup time is in minutes and it wasn't as good with PDFs as I'd hope. I wound up getting the kobo aura one. I'm also looking at how the 13.3" field goes this year.

I think, perhaps, you've put your finger on why I'm still hesitating on buying one.