Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #301
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You do not have to do tracking. I personally would not let anybody track my reading.
Just see what other people say about a book that interests you.

Or, you can rate some books you really liked and then have Goodreads suggest you other books you might like. Then you rate suggested books, because you have read most of those too ;-). Goodreads server matches your list of likes and dislikes to other peoples lists of likes and suggests you books that other readers with similar tastes also like. Works great.

Oh ... do register using a nickname you haven't used anywhere else. Nobody needs to know it is you and nobody should be able to connect your likes and dislikes to your real life identity.
The whole reason my friend got me into it was the tracking to see how many books we read in a year. I did it, but as mentioned, tracking my reading was not, for me, a fun or useful activity.

I have very little interest in reviews and I don't want to rate books either. I have no trouble finding reading that interests me. I even did it without internet back in the day....

I'm sure GR is great for those who like it, but I found I had no need of it whatsoever. I guess I ought to sign in, see if there's an easy way to delete the account.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #302
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The main reason I use GR is to keep track of the books I read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #303
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but some cheapskate ebook authors use the same ISBN for different ebook formats
Self-publishers who deal with ebook formats have discussed the pros and cons of one ISBN for each ebook format, or just one ISBN for all ebooks formats.
  • Part of it is that vendors don't identify ebooks by ISBN;
  • Part of it is economics;

When neither vendor nor customer will use an ISBN, why provide an ISBN for the specific format?

My sense is that the current "best practices" for self-publishers is:
* Each printed format (hardcover, trade paperback, mass market paperback) has its own ISBN;
* All audio formats share the same ISBN;
* All ebook formats share the same ISBN;
However, I've noticed some self-publishers have started giving ePubs their own ISBN, with other ebook formats sharing the same ISBN;
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #304
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Self-publishers who deal with ebook formats have discussed the pros and cons of one ISBN for each ebook format, or just one ISBN for all ebooks formats.
  • Part of it is that vendors don't identify ebooks by ISBN;
  • Part of it is economics;

When neither vendor nor customer will use an ISBN, why provide an ISBN for the specific format?

My sense is that the current "best practices" for self-publishers is:
* Each printed format (hardcover, trade paperback, mass market paperback) has its own ISBN;
* All audio formats share the same ISBN;
* All ebook formats share the same ISBN;
However, I've noticed some self-publishers have started giving ePubs their own ISBN, with other ebook formats sharing the same ISBN;
I remember when eBooks had the same ISBN and sometimes used the same ISBN as the pBook. When you went to look by ISBN, you ended up with different formats instead of the one you wanted. It also meant when setting up an entry in Goodreads, one entry got an ISBN and the rest did not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #305
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Because an ISBN is supposed to uniquely identify a specific format of a book, whether that be paperback, hardback, ePub, PDF, Kindle or anything else. As I said in a previous post, though, there are no "ISBN police", so how they use ISBNs is a decision for each individual publisher to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert