Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Author Philip Pullman Announces A Follow-Up Trilogy To 'His Dark Materials'

Quote:
The hugely successful fantasy trilogy His Dark Materials will be getting a "companion" trilogy, author Philip Pullman announced this evening.

The first book of the new series, which will collectively be called The Book of Dust, is set for publication on October 19.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...dark-materials

Great! I still need to read the last short story he published.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I never really got the appeal of that trilogy. Everyone else just gushed over it and I thought it was simply ok at best and had trouble finishing it off. Different strokes, I guess.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Great books. Hopefully the follow-up will live up to the originals. My fave was the second book, oddly. The third book veered off in the latter half and the finale. Still, the ride was fun. I wasn't aware of his beef with the Catholic church, though I thought it was kinda funny when he killed off a major deity. A friend of mine who was in the early stages of her Christian period got grumpy about it. She's calmed down now I think. In fact, I think she denies she got grumpy. Lol. She has many fine points.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I love the serie but I have to admit I was not fond of Lyra in the first book, and the second book where the serie focuses on Will, the second protagonist, which I found more likable, and I was more driven to know what happens next. I have trouble rereading it though, because that means I have to endure Lyra in the first book.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Meh. I like the idea behind the first trilogy and I liked the first book and especially its ending. The second was alright and the third was a little meh but the trajectory of the trilogy was somewhat downward for me in quality as the story spiralled larger and larger, so I'm unsure of my interest in a new trilogy.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I never really got the appeal of that trilogy. Everyone else just gushed over it and I thought it was simply ok at best and had trouble finishing it off. Different strokes, I guess.
You are not alone there. I thought it started excellently but went down from there.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I enjoyed the trilogy, but not so much that I want more of the same.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
sadkingbilly
Bookworm
sadkingbilly began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad 2nd Edition (dead), Kobo Aura One (stolen), Likebook Mars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I wasn't aware of his beef with the Catholic church, though I thought it was kinda funny when he killed off a major deity.
For what I understand, this trilogy was his answer to the "Chronicles of Narnia" books bij a colleague of his. Seems he found the increasing amount of references to christianity tasteless and decided to write his own version.. Something like that.

Anyhow, we will see how they read
sadkingbilly is offline   Reply With Quote