Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #76
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If the book being looked up has no isbn, then the plugin does a title/author search and at that point that is the one single scenario at which it could attempt to choose a particular format over another (presuming that it comes back in the results). However this approach would only work if (1) the book has no isbn prior to metadata lookup, (2) the edition you want comes back in the search results, and (3) that isbn is in the same isbn pool as any other metadata plugins enabled. Which is just too small a subset of circumstances for general users to rely upon it.

To be honest I haven't really noticed an issue with the existing behaviour - the covers I get back generally tend to be around 600px high or so. Though in the few circumstances where they are not I haven't gone looking to see if there is another edition on B&N that would have given a better cover.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #77
KoU
KoU began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight
Hi, just posting this here :-)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1167426

Keep up the awesome work!
KoU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #78
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.2.10 released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix the URL hyperlink when clicking from book details panel to reflect changes to website

Thx KoU for pointing this out.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #79
slothful
Confused N00b
slothful began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just a quick note: This doesn't seem to work at all, without an isbn. Searching with a valid title and author returns "No matches found with query:", but taking the exact link and pasting into a browser returns the book. For example, one search, if I paste the exact query string, B&N's page has Showing all of 9 results for (what I searched). I'd guess B&N changed something and now the plugin doesn't correctly parse the results number? (If I click on the result and then copy the BN ID as isbn and retry searching metadata, it works fine... )
slothful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #80
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothful View Post
For example, one search, if I paste the exact query string, B&N's page has Showing all of 9 results for (what I searched). I'd guess B&N changed something and now the plugin doesn't correctly parse the results number? (If I click on the result and then copy the BN ID as isbn and retry searching metadata, it works fine... )
You say "For example" but don't actually supply the example for Kiwidude to use to investigate further.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #81
slothful
Confused N00b

Intentional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You say "For example" but don't actually supply the example for Kiwidude to use to investigate further.
I was thinking of sending him a pm with, because it's not appropriate. ;p (One of the adult content ebooks; they all seem to be the worst offenders.)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot plugins, but I did look at the zip file; I know the first xpath is matching exactly, ie, this:
<div id="search-results-1" data-bn-widget-name="search-results" class="list search-results"><ol class="result-set box" data-bntrack="Search Results list" data-bntrack-root="true" data-bntrack-pageaware="true">

<li class="result box has-badge" id="search-result0" data-bntrack="1">

But, I couldn't follow beyond that, with my limited knowledge.

Further messing around shows, if there's a valid ISBN, but no 'author', it fails, which is irritating. (Ie, author = "Unknown" or blank...)

All of the problem ones are, again, adult, so have only the BN ID (which is fine for me in my filename as an ISBN), but the plugin doesn't see the results as valid.

Okay, here's a somewhat crude, but hopefully appropriate, example:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?stor...e+Dave+Praeger

That returns a valid result. But, plugin say, me no give you love!
calibre, version 1.2.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Dave Praeger', u'Paul Provenza (foreword By)'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product'}
Using plugins: Barnes & Noble
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Barnes & Noble ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110814 Firefox/6.0')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Barnes & Noble took 4.95199990273
Querying: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?stor...e+Dave+Praeger
No matches found with query: u'http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?store=book&keyword=Poop+Culture+Dave+Praeger'

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 5.00 seconds
The longest time (4.952000) was taken by: Barnes & Noble
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

You can see that the exact query as printed returns 2 results, for that one. For pretty much everything else, there's just one result, so not even a need to figure out what's valid. I'm sorry I can't be more help. And it's not that big of a deal, I guess, since I only have 10 more left to search on by hand now, just disappointed because the B&N plugin seems like it would have been perfect to fill in the metadata. (All of these have the ISBN empty, and ISBN Extract bombs on them, so I wanted to avoid doing exactly what I'm doing, which is cutting and pasting each ISBN off B&N's site! )
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #82
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothful View Post
I was thinking of sending him a pm with, because it's not appropriate. ;p (One of the adult content ebooks; they all seem to be the worst offenders.)
Excellent thinking.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #83
kiwidude

@slothful - it is just a change to the B&N website. Will push a fix shortly.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #84
kiwidude

v1.2.11 released

Changes in this release:
  • Updated for changes to B&N website
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #85
slothful
Confused N00b

Wow, that was some quick turnaround. I already did all by hand, but did a couple quick tests with the plugin, and everything works as would be expected, so confirmed all fixed. Nice job!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #86
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Port for QT5

I have ported the Barnes & Noble plugin for Qt5.
Will read
Code:
author = 'Grant Drake  ported for qt5 by gbm 07.18.2014'
    version = ('qt5', 'test', 1)
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&N from 2014-07-18 22:07:26.png
Views:	345
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	125539

Remove the old plugin and install this one.

Tested with calibre 1.202.0 and calibre 1.44 using linux Mint 17.

bernie

Updated the plugin with comment lines describing the changes for QT5 and updated the changelog.txt file listing the test version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Barnes & Noble-qt5.zip (49.2 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by gbm; 07-21-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: udated file
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #87
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@gbm - Did some simple tests with Windows portable V1.202 and Windows 64bit V1.45 - No problems

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #88
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@gbm - Did some simple tests with Windows portable V1.202 and Windows 64bit V1.45 - No problems

BR
Did you test the configure Menu? That was the only part of the plugin that had to be updated.
On the edit Metadata Page and by the customize plugin on the preferences-plugins page.

bernie
Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #89
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Did you test the configure Menu? That was the only part of the plugin that had to be updated.
On the edit Metadata Page and by the customize plugin on the preferences-plugins page.

bernie
@bernie - I had tested that from Metadata Edit->Download preferences, but not from Preferences->Plug-ins->Configure, but I have now

It works there too, I turned comments and ratings off & on, did downloads - no surprises

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #90
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@bernie - I had tested that from Metadata Edit->Download preferences, but not from Preferences->Plug-ins->Configure, but I have now

It works there too, I turned comments and ratings off & on, did downloads - no surprises

BR

bernie