Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Full Sources for *everything* available

http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/

That's what I'm talking about. Now, the possibilities are endless. I think I might start to get serious about coding...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
are you sure? i would wait until there is a alternative to sending the iLiad back to iRex for re-flashing.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Wow thats impressive. Though as b_k says development will still be somewhat limited until we have a reflashing method.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I'm not too concerned for standalone applications that can run from a memory card. If anyone was doing kernel hacking or messing with the base os, than a reflashing method would definitely be necessary.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think I know what is going on...the Iliad Rev. 1 is dead and is now being thrown to the developer community on a "do what you like" base...they have nothing to lose.

But i might be wrong.

Never mind, it's a good thing, altough it's too late and without user reflash we probably won't be seeing any deep-down and useful makeovers, just littel things like more viewers.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was my inital opinion too, but I was avoiding voicing it.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Riocaz

Karel has confirmed (to a point) that they are working on reflashing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel at iRex
@Riocaz

Yes as mentioned we will continue our effort to offer the necessary tools for the developing on the iLiad platform, for now I can not give more info on this, but we will shortly, and we will keep you up to date on the progress of it all.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I think I know what is going on...the Iliad Rev. 1 is dead and is now being thrown to the developer community on a "do what you like" base...they have nothing to lose.
According to this topic: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1022 , that is not the case. Along with hints of a de-bricking option in the future, the iliad should become a great linux developer platform, similar to that of maemo. I'm really looking forward to new apps for the device.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Riocaz

Given that that statement essentially rewrites history i would take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

But as said elsewhere I am still fuming about this.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I do see the 2.9 ipdf, which is cool. However, there is none of the apps/pieces they wrote from scratch (contentlister, toolbar, pagebar) -- or at least I can't find it. This means we can't improve the stupid GUI.

Looks like they did it the Irex way -- giving away as little as possible to be in GPL compliance. *sigh*

Hey, good this steps comes a few weeks *after* they scared scotty away.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR

But i might be wrong.

Never mind, it's a good thing, altough it's too late and without user reflash we probably won't be seeing any deep-down and useful makeovers, just littel things like more viewers.
Well I am sorry to say but you are wrong here

The software for rev 2 will be the same, so the iLiad Rev. 1 is far from dead.

In contrary... we will be taking additional steps to allow the development on the iLiad platform by the open source community, more info on this topic will be released shortly.

I hope this clears things up a bit
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel
I hope this clears things up a bit
You just said there will be some nebulous announcement soon.

Um.

Honestly -- is there anything Iliad where the current official state is not "announcement soon"?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
I'm very pleased. At least they have put out the sources.

OTOH, what I don't see inside the linux-2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1.patch.gz is the code interfacing with the screen :-(. I hoped that the ioctls they were using on /dev/fbdev would be there, so that I could implement a simulator on the PC to ease development...

Well, I'll have to look at the rest of the files :-b.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
I'm very pleased. At least they have put out the sources.

OTOH, what I don't see inside the linux-2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1.patch.gz is the code interfacing with the screen :-(. I hoped that the ioctls they were using on /dev/fbdev would be there, so that I could implement a simulator on the PC to ease development...

Well, I'll have to look at the rest of the files :-b.
Antartica,

With this release, it may be time to get serious about creating a distributable virtual machine for development. If you want to update the wiki, I can create the vmware image and upload it to mobileread, torrent, etc...

Adam
Old 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Karel

Thanks for trying to clear things up...and sorry for assuming...well never mind

The question that many of us would dearly like to get an anwer to right now is (I guess) whether the new Iliad will be able to support Suspend mode...is that the case?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote