Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Dashka Slater
Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
My Books Just Came Out in E-Book Format

Hi Everyone,

I'm the author of five books for children and adults and two of my books just came out as e-books this week. Even though I don't have an e-reader of my own, I thought this would be a good opportunity to learn a bit about the world, particularly as I'm a magazine journalist and I often write on environmental topics. I have been following closely (and sometimes weighing in on) the debate about which format is greener -- conventional or digital books.

You can learn more about me at www.dashkaslater.com

My blog on environmental topics is here:
http://dashkaslater.blogspot.com/

My children's book blog is here:
http://dashka-slater.livejournal.com/

My books (in both paper and digital formats) are here:
http://www.amazon.com/Dashka-Slater/...r_dp_pel_pop_1

I look forward to learning more!

Dashka Slater
Dashka Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Dashka and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Well done, Dashka. Good to have your company. Maybe we'll make you a convert. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Dashka and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

We have lots of resources here for Authors - please join in ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	oc_welcome_anim2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	55110 to the forum, Dashka.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Welcome to MobileRead. I'm the official forum meanie.

I just read over your comments on Amazon, and something struck me: You're referring to the iPad as an ebook reader. It isn't, any more than my netbook is one, or my Nintendo DS Lite for that matter. The iPad is a general-purpose tablet computer which can run ebook-reading software, along with many other things. A true ebook reader is something like my Sony 505, which is optimized to display ebooks, not surf the Web, play video games, or follow the stock market. This might have some bearing on the discussion.

Also, you're well-meaning but misguided in thinking that if we pay more for dead-trees books, the publishers will spend more to get them printed on sustainably-produced paper. For one thing, I'm not certain they get a higher wholesale price for a book sold by Fred's Bookshop than Borders, since Fred's is going through at least one layer of distributors, while a company the size of Borders may be buying directly from publishers. But even if that is the case, all they'll do is pocket the extra money. The publishers will make a higher profit, which benefits their management and stock speculators, but doesn't do jack for the rainforests.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for us, as readers, to buy our books cheaply (preferably on electrons instead of dead trees) and donate the money saved to rainforest preservation organizations. It might not do any good there, but it's certainly not going to do any more good in Barry O'Callaghan's pocket.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Dashka Slater
Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Dashka Slater knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Interesting points, Worldwalker...

Of course you're right that the I-Pad isn't an e-reader. My point was just that many -- particularly in the children's book world -- see it as the platform most likely to spur e-book sales.

Now, will customers paying full price for books mean that publishers spend more on sustainable paper for DTBs? Not necessarily. But the price squeezing by the big chains does make it more difficult to get publishers to pay for sustainable paper, just as it's harder to get them to pay for decent publicity or pay for authors who don't write blockbusters. When everything becomes about cheap, other considerations (quality, sustainability) wind up shunted to the back of the line.

And if you qualify as the forum's meanie, then this must be a very nice forum indeed!

Dashka

Dashka Slater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, e-books, new books