Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
ForMyWife
ForMyWife began at the beginning.

Device: Sony vs. Kindle
Kindle Books with the Sony PRS600

Looking at the 600 for my wife's Bday. Haven't found a clear answer to my question in searching. Does the 600 work with Kindle Books?

The wife really likes Amazon's selection; I like Sony's price.

Thanks a ton!

-C
ForMyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, the formats are incompatible, not to mention the DRM. You would have to remove the DRM, and convert the format from Amazon (Mobipocket) to Sony (ePub).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Just because I am an incorrigible nitpicker, I have to point out that correctly, that's converting from Mobipocket (Amazon) to ePub (Sony) -- Amazon and Sony are vendors, not formats. Mobipocket and ePub are the formats, and .mobi and .epub are the file extensions. Yes, I know: those who live by the nit shall die by the nit, and there's a giant killer nit waiting in my future somewhere.

Part of the problem with ebook readers that are tied to specific stores, right now, is that nobody is quite sure how the publishers' cartel ("Agency 5") which has been formed is going to work out in the long run. Right now, they're forcing retailers to charge more for ebooks than for paperbacks -- sometimes even more than for hardcovers -- and they clearly want the prices to go up, even though their costs, compared to a physical book, are considerably lower. So I'd be really paranoid about buying an ebook reader right now with the intention of depending on any given manufacturer's bookstore.

If I were buying a reading device today, I'd be looking at flexibility. What file formats can it handle? Can I get the books on there without outside intervention? How much control does the manufacturer have over my device (e.g., the 1984 debacle)? Can I read what I want to read -- and perhaps more important, will I still be able to read it next week, even if the vendor changes formats, goes bankrupt, or just abandons the market?

My personal solution to those problems has been straightforward: I do not buy DRM-restricted ebooks, and I don't buy ebooks that cost more than their pbook counterparts. I realize that some people would rather trade rights for convenience, and some are wealthy enough not to care about ebook prices, but even for them, the matter of flexibility, store independence, and future-proofing should be a consideration. Platform lock-in is only good for manufacturers and publishers; it's very, very bad for us.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
OK, the simple answer is "no" - but as a fan of amazon, I understand your wife's point of view. Oddly enough, I have a Sony PRS-600 and just LOVE it.

For e-books, you have a fairly wide range of bookstores with the epub format. Check the wiki page here on the forum for the lists of e-book stores, free sources for e-books and e-book lending libraries. You aren't actually limited to a single source for your books - especially with a format like epub.

I actually bought my Sony through Amazon (obviously, one of their vendors), and I suspect that after all the Agency pricing stuff shakes out, Amazon may also be selling books in a variety of formats, too. But take a look at what some of the other online booksellers offer - I use primarily the Sony store (US) and Kobo, though I admit to checking the Amazon listings for books I'm interested in purchasing - mostly for the reviews.
Cheers,
Bev
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote