Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
j5uh
j5uh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
ebook ads? the future?

I've been reading the forums for awhile and I received a nook as a birthday gift 2 weeks ago. I love my nook.

But as someone whos career is involved in the web, I'm curious to wonder if ebook publishers will eventually want to start building an ad network. So give away books for free, in exchange of ads placed on the bottom or top of your e-reader.

Would you be open to this as an ebook reader?
I feel like i would be open to having ads flashing in my face in turn for free content. Isn't that how blogs and news sites work? =) or maybe even get books at a discount with ads or pay extra with no ads.

Just a random thought.
j5uh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Wowio.com used to do that. They would create PDF files with a couple of ads at the beginning and end of the file, and insert your name into it as well. They'd let you download for free something like 3 books a day, up to 20 a month. Unfortunately, they couldn't get enough income from that since they seemed to only have less than a dozen sponsors. They discontinued the business plan several months before I finished downloading the ones I wanted.

In the late 60s or early 70s, I used to get paperback books with an advertising insert in the middle. A lot of them had either cigarette advertising or book club mailers which I usually ripped out.

I wouldn't buy a book with animated ads or lots of ads interspersed within the text, but I didn't find the single page ads at the beginning and end of the PDFs to be egregiously annoying. But I think that it would need to be at a substantial discount (free is good) for me to put up with any ads.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 03-06-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to say "for free"
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow... everything old is new again. We had a poll about this with quite a long discussion maybe a year ago. Search for the thread and you can read a lot of opinions on this issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I wouldn't mind ads as long as they were at the beginning or end AND able to be avoided with "skip to chapter 1". I mean, it's not like we don't get blurbs or promos for books by the same authors/similar books now.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I could understand ads on the homepage, but only something small. Once I tap into my Library and onward there would be zero ads.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I wouldn't mind ads in books, even interspersed in the text, as long as they were displayed at the same time as the text like a banner ad or could be scrolled past; what I wouldn't be able to stand would be ads that make you wait a certain number of seconds before you can get back to your book (like how some websites make you watch a commercial before entering the site, although I don't think many places do that anymore).
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
cob666
cob666 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Ads in ebooks can't really be compared to any other type of online or web advertisement. The reader would have to have a full featured web browser and the ability to hyperlink from within a book. I think this methodology would be able to work for people using their PC or iDevice to read books where the ads could be served up in real time and would never become outdated. I don't see this coming to your average reader device any time in the near future. I also don't see publishers giving away ebooks with embedded ads, at least not new releases or hot titles.

It's far more comparable to print media advertisement.
cob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We've been through this already. Can this thread be closed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
To update the earlier comment about WOWIO, its free-to-the-reader, ad-supported PDF downloads are definitely still around. Sponsorship availability varies, but several categories offer free downloads as of this writing (including comics and graphic novels, selected classics, etc.).

[disclosure: I work for WOWIO]
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Here's an article about Wowio today.

They continue to offer ad-supported eBooks, and they have signed a deal with Ingram which will go into effect Nov. 1.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ng/?test=faces
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Here's an article about Wowio today.

They continue to offer ad-supported eBooks, and they have signed a deal with Ingram which will go into effect Nov. 1.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ng/?test=faces
I saw that today also. Interesting idea, and depending on how it's implemented, I could go for it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote