Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Can't sync ebook library with reader

I screwed up somehow and now my reader attemps to sync with the library everytime I connect it to my computer, but never finishes. What I did was try to use my desktop PC with the reader and authorized it. When it finished sync'ing, there were 2 copies of each book on the reader. I deleted the extra copies by deleting the books from the ebook library on the computer. That caused the extra copies to be deleted from my reader and it appeared to be as it was before connecting it to the desktop.

I went back to my notebook and that's when I got into trouble. It would sync a few books, then get stuck on one. I canceled the sync of that book and got a message like, "0 of 10 books transferred." All but one of the books I own are still on my reader. What I want to do is to have the sync operation complete so that it won't get stuck every time I connect the reader to my notebook. Since the books are still in the Sony ebook library software, I thought about deleting all of them from the reader and then sync'ing or transferring them back again, but I can't do that without first deleting them from the Sony library. According to the user manual, pressing the reset button doesn't delete anything. I'm out of solutions.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what happened and how to get out of it? I'm concerned that, when I buy a new book, I won't be able to transfer it to the reader because it will get stuck sync'ing an older book.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I screwed up somehow and now my reader attemps to sync with the library everytime I connect it to my computer, but never finishes. What I did was try to use my desktop PC with the reader and authorized it. When it finished sync'ing, there were 2 copies of each book on the reader. I deleted the extra copies by deleting the books from the ebook library on the computer. That caused the extra copies to be deleted from my reader and it appeared to be as it was before connecting it to the desktop.

I went back to my notebook and that's when I got into trouble. It would sync a few books, then get stuck on one. I canceled the sync of that book and got a message like, "0 of 10 books transferred." All but one of the books I own are still on my reader. What I want to do is to have the sync operation complete so that it won't get stuck every time I connect the reader to my notebook. Since the books are still in the Sony ebook library software, I thought about deleting all of them from the reader and then sync'ing or transferring them back again, but I can't do that without first deleting them from the Sony library. According to the user manual, pressing the reset button doesn't delete anything. I'm out of solutions.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what happened and how to get out of it? I'm concerned that, when I buy a new book, I won't be able to transfer it to the reader because it will get stuck sync'ing an older book.

Dave W
Easiest compromise: Switch off syncing and transfer manually. Syncing is known for being a bit bumby, although most users only had problems with syncing in the former version of eBook library. Are you using the newest one?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I was using the sync function also when I first got my PRS 600 reader. I worked great for 2 days then started hanging. It worked when it wanted to for me. Do yourself a favor and use calibre instead.

Calibre is super easy to setup, operate, and transfer your books to your reader with.
------------------------
I know that this doesnt answer your question, but the honest truth is I dont think their is an answer. Sony sync simply sucks stupendously.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
kronium
kronium began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Does Calibre transfer notes and highlights out of the 600?
kronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok, here's what caused my Reader to hang while syncing:

Apparently, the file (ebook) was not in the folder it was supposed to be in, and the Sync was hung up and was doing nothing. It stalled with no progress being made.

Go to the Windows-like area of your Reader Library software and individually click on each book there to see if the book will open. If you get a message that the book can't be located, then delete the book from the Reader Library.

After I did this, I had no problem whatsover with Syncing on my two ebook Readers.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
greenhalgh55
greenhalgh55 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Help Please! I have managed to download and transfer a couple of free ebooks which were e-pub. Feeling confident I went and bought a couple but I can't transfer them onto the Sony 600. Each file has a little purple cog on it. Anyone help me out. I have only had it two days and it took me hours to work out how to download and transfer.
greenhalgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Thanks, everyone, especially Don. Don's answer did the trick. I found one book, the PRS-600 user's manual, that the reader library couldn't find. I deleted it and the reader successfully sync'ed up. However, for some unexplainable reason, when I reloaded the 600 manual, the Sony software deleted the book I was currently reading. I hadn't deleted it from the library. So I was able to retrieve it. I lost the page I was on, but that was easy to find. So I'm back in business. Thanks again.

Sony should be embarrassed by releasing such poor software. I'm using version 3.1.00.12040 which, I believe is the latest version. In my past, I did a bit of programming, mostly in C and C++. While I'm far from expert, One thing I always included were error traps so that, if the software did something which caused it to hang or generate an error, it would be reported to the user. For something like getting hung, I'd use what I called a "dead man timer." It was a timer that got periodically reset by properly running software. If the software got stuck somewhere, the timer would expire, report the problem, and reset (jump to start) the program. Why hasn't Sony done something similar? Judging from the responses to this thread, I'd say that I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem.

Dave W.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
poodlemama
poodlemama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ok, here's what caused my Reader to hang while syncing:

Apparently, the file (ebook) was not in the folder it was supposed to be in, and the Sync was hung up and was doing nothing. It stalled with no progress being made.

Go to the Windows-like area of your Reader Library software and individually click on each book there to see if the book will open. If you get a message that the book can't be located, then delete the book from the Reader Library.

After I did this, I had no problem whatsover with Syncing on my two ebook Readers.

Don

Thanks soo much Don.... I tried and tried and couldn't make it work. I did what you said and worked like normal. Thanks again.
poodlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
darrenel
darrenel began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
I am so pleased that I now use Calibre - I can do most things now - like change names easily - download the newspaper (the guardian) every morning to my reader - no more double book problems - syncing with the Reader software was a complete pain. Get rid of Reader software.

All the best
D
darrenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Teknoviking
Electric Norseman
Teknoviking began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Smile Great!

Deleting the "Lost" book worked like a charm on my 505 too.
Teknoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Arts
Arts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Don: Thanks, indeed one book was missing and the sync, just stopped.

Sony: No feedback? WTF?
Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Don: Thanks, indeed one book was missing and the sync, just stopped.

Sony: No feedback? WTF?

Glad that worked for you, Arts.

Also, welcome to MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Arts
Arts began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Gracias Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Glad that worked for you, Arts.
Also, welcome to MobileRead.
Gracias Don,
I am a newbie to mobile readers so this forum should be very helpful, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute later on.
Arts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
liamvictor
liamvictor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just this moment joined the forum to thank Dr. Drib for the solution to the syncing problem.

Looking forward now to having a good nose around here and finding some other nuggets.

Kind regards,
Liam
liamvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
kealiiballao
Bibliophile1980
kealiiballao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Listen to everyone, the Sony Reader Library software sucks big-time! My Sony Reader was out of service for 2 months because of the irritating syncing issues. I found that there was some kind of bug in the software, but it kept reoccurring. I gave up on the Sony software and found Calibre. I uninstalled the sony software and I only use calibre. Also, calibre lets you convert your files in to lots of different file types. If one day you should buy a different e-reader, you don't have to repurchase new copies of your books, just use calibre to convert them.
kealiiballao is offline   Reply With Quote