Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What did you think of Sometimes a Great Notion?
Loved it! 3 20.00%
Hated it! 0 0%
It was okay. 1 6.67%
Never read it. 1 6.67%
Never heard of it. 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Sometimes a Great Notion

All right, you guys have pretty much steered me towards all of the good books I have read since I got a reader so I have to say I was somewhat shaken when I was at dinner with my family last night and 3/4 of the table blithely announced that their favourite book was "Sometimes a Great Notion" and I had never heard of it? I had certainly heard of "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest", also by Kesey but not his second book. If I can trust you guys to steer me towards things like this who can I trust?

Seriously though...thoughts etc. regarding this one as my finger is poised over the purchase button at Fictionwise?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I've never been a fan of Kesey, and having lived in the NW my whole life I have to admit I'm sick of hearing about him, so that may skew my opinions slightly. I think he's a decent writer, not a great one. I think he's mainly hype. (Please feel free to resist the urge to hit quote and reply to that statement now, these are my opinions. You can't and won't change them.)

It's not a bad book by any means, and it doesn't surprise me that it might be someone's favorite book, but 3/4 of the people sitting around a table seems a bit excessive to me. If you're interested in it, I'd reccomend finding a $0.99 copy at a used book store and give it a shot. My experience is that if it's not a book you're being forced to read in school, it's one you either read entirely or give up on comepletely.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert