Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I usually watch the emmy's but...

this year I'm not planning to watch.

Anyone else refuse to watch because they consider many of the nominations absurd? I'm not going to signal my acceptance of mediocrity by watching the show (and it's sponsors). I've just got to say it somewhere... :P

My particular points - Lack of "Best" nominations for Battlestar Galactica, Big Band Theory, 24, N.C.I.S...... The performances of Grace Park, Edward James Olmos... The 3rd season of 30 Rock getting nominated when it was nothing compared to the previous 2 (I swear the only enjoyable thing about it was getting to look at Salma Hayek).. And at the same time they leave out Big Bang Theory... The writing for the end of The Shield, BSG, Breaking Bad, Damages and Big Bang Theory?
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Big Bang Theory? Really? I don't see why people even like that show. Throw in a cute girl and a bunch of geek cliches and call it funny. However I did see one episode that featured Summer Glau that was great.

But yeah those awards shows always seem to have glaring omissions imo, this year more than most perhaps.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Every time I glance at this thread's title, I read "I usually watch the enemy's butt", and keep wondering where you are going with this...

On topically: I don't really care about award shows, because I think nominations and winners are selected to fit with an agenda we know nothing about. Plus, they are way too long, usually, and they bore me out of my mind.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I think they're boring too, although I saw a little of Neil Patrick Harris on whatever other awards show he recently hosted and he was funny.

I also like the big bang theory. The four geeks are entertaining to watch. Sheldon's great. It's all brain dead entertainment, like nearly everything else on tv.

Whenever I see commercials for the Alma awards (for latin celebs) I always think to myself if there were the White People awards (with whatever politically correct name you want to give them), people would be angry. So why is a latin awards show acceptable? And does it do anyone any good to reward people based on their ethnicity? "There are better actors than you, but for a LATIN, you're pretty good." The whole idea sounds kind of insulting to me.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Every time I glance at this thread's title, I read "I usually watch the enemy's butt", and keep wondering where you are going with this...
Good, I wasn't the only one then! I kept wondering why anybody would only watch an enemy's butt...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Good, I wasn't the only one then! I kept wondering why anybody would only watch an enemy's butt...

Well, it's always good to keep an eye on one's enemies, isn't it. And when you can watch his or her butt you can be sure he/she's NOT just sitting around doing nothing.... So watching it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Well, it's always good to keep an eye on one's enemies, isn't it. And when you can watch his or her butt you can be sure he/she's NOT just sitting around doing nothing.... So watching it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
It certainly adds an odd twist to the phrase, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Incidentally...N.C.I.S, United States of Tara, and Australia's Funniest Home Video Show (though the last is obviously not up for nomination)...they're my three, current television shows that I watch fairly constantly. The Emmy's...just another industry awards show I don't watch or care about.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Speaking of N.C.I.S., did anyone watch the spin off show? Was it any good?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Speaking of N.C.I.S., did anyone watch the spin off show? Was it any good?
I didn't think it had started (September 22, according to Wikipedia). Of course, here, we won't get it until later, but they've at least kept it down to just over a week (as with the first episode of the new series of N.C.I.S....being broadcast the 29th here. N.C.I.S.: Los Angeles will be broadcast the following night).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I stopped watching Prime Time television a couple of years ago and haven't missed it at all! Shannon has been trying to get me to watch Big Bang Theory (she bought the DVD's) but I would much rather read!

As far as awards shows go, it seems to me that Hollywood (and the entertainment industry in general) is narcissistic enough without having to pat themselves on the back with all the multitudes of awards shows they've concocted. I agree with you VCat, there must be something going on behind the scenes that we, the general populace, are missing!

After re-reading this post before submitting it, I sound a little cynical.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:

LOL! had the same thing in mind!

anyways , don't really watch these award shows.. i just ask from people who won. hehe

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote