Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I guess it would have to be human flesh, but that's only from a cultural perspective.
I know! I know! That's a Ricky story that's too weird to forget!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The cafeteria downstairs today had "fried ravioli." The server said, "It's like fried cheese sticks." I said, "No, I've had fried cheese sticks, and this is nothing like that."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Peanut Butter Hershey's.

Actually the friend didn't so much eat it as take a bite, chew a little, pull a face not associated with micheln starred comestibles and then made use of a tissue....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
One of our celebrity chef's made a 'special' meal to celebrate the birth of a baby - it was on TV a few years ago.

(The birth was a prerequisite for the the dish. )

I hope you're not referencing what I think you're referencing. *shudder*

(from the referenced site. Not for the weak of stomach!): "That practice, known as "placentophagy," did not go over well when depicted last year on the British cooking show "TV Dinner," according to The Independent, a London newspaper. The show featured a London couple celebrating the birth of their granddaughter by preparing, then eating, the baby's placenta as a means of reflecting rituals around the world and symbolically sharing in the baby's gene pool.

The placenta was fried with shallots and garlic, flambeed and pureed and served to 20 family and friends as a pate on focaccia bread. The father had 17 helpings, but other guests were less enthusiastic, the paper reported. "
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
you consumed or viewed the consumption?

I've eaten the normal oddities, grasshoppers, pickled pigs feet, snake, etc. saw plenty of horse flesh in the Parisian markets, normal for them disturbing to me.

I've had lung soup, fried brains and cow tit schnitzel in Germany. in each case I did not know what I was eating, but found the texture revolting. when told I ate a few more bites so my hosts did not have the pleasure of "grossing" me out, I had already indicated I was not fond of it.

never eat wild sea gull eggs. taste like rotten fish!
Both, actually. It was an experiment in Cultural Anthropology. Long time ago and a good 1300 miles from here. But, at least it's good to know that if I ever had to do it again (you know .... plane wreck in the Andes), I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'd have more problem with the horseflesh myself.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Meat sticks from street venders in Rota, Spain! No telling what kind of meat they were, but being so close to Gibraltar, Barbary Macaques were a distinct possibility.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You know, it all depends on where you come from... Most Americans I've met looked horrified when I ate salty liquorice. They'd spit it out after one taste (especially the double salted versions!) But it's yummie!

And what about our soused herring? (The Dutch variety, naturally, not the cooked one)

Outside our native cuisine or western cuisine, I can't remember eating something that would be called weird...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #23
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
The first Thanksgiving I spent with my future husband's family, I was surprised by the offering of pretty much a whole goat. The thing that really got me, though, was the inispiszhi-- goat intestine wrapped around fat. A real delicasy, I'm told....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And what about our soused herring? (The Dutch variety, naturally, not the cooked one)
A raw herring pickled in a mild vinegar with onion and other vegetables is very popular in Europe. Sometimes it is served plain, sometimes with mayonnaise. YUMMY!
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herring#Pickled_herring

Also see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollmops
Mouthwatering. Isn't it?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
A raw herring pickled in a mild vinegar with onion and other vegetables is very popular in Europe. Sometimes it is served plain, sometimes with mayonnaise. YUMMY!
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herring#Pickled_herring

Also see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollmops
Mouthwatering. Isn't it?
I never liked rollmopses. But a true Dutch soused herring should be eaten, either out of the fist (lift it by the tail and throw your head back and let the herring slide inside) or on a bun. Some add onions, but I rather like it plain better.

(oh, once you reach the tail, you'll have finished it, you never eat the tail!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #26
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-12-2010 at 06:42 PM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
Pigs blood. I was about 4 years old and I don't remember how it was cooked but I do remember how much I loved it! I haven't eaten it since but sure would like to.
Pigs blood is routinely consumed in this country. Most of the time it is, however, very well disguised in various traditional pig products.
Just do not tell my wife that a significant portion of those special sausages we like to eat is pig blood ;-)
That would be the end of those wonderful Haggis-like sausages in this household. She loves them, and she knows she does not want to know what they are made from
Even better example is here:
http://mygastronomy.blogspot.com/200...d-pudding.html

Last edited by kacir; 07-14-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I once swallowed a fly, don't ask why, I swallowed a fly... perhaps I'll die?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #29
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Hmm, I've had Ciorbă de burtă in Romania (but it isn't considered "weird" there).
I've also eaten several live mealworms and grasshoppers, as well as various larvae.

And then the regular stuff that some of you seem to find weird, like horse meat, dutch soused herring et cetera.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #30
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Hmm, I've had Ciorbă de burtă in Romania (but it isn't considered "weird" there).
It is not considered weird here either. In the Czech Republic its equivalent is even considered the be national dish.