Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'll third Deadly Appearances.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #32
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I nominate The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1) by Candace Robb

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41413-owen-archer

Quote:
The Owen Archer mysteries (including the short story "The Bone Jar" ) are set in England in the late 14th century. Owen Archer is a spy for John Thoresby, Archbishop of York and sometime Lord Chancellor of England. Owen is ably assisted in his sleuthing by an ensemble of York residents who include his wife, the Apothecary Lucie Wilton; Bess Merchet, proprietor of the York Tavern; Magda Digby, midwife; and Brother Michaelo, the Archbishop's secretary.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did Ellis Peters start all this with her Brother Cadfael series, or were detectives from the Middle Ages always popular? This is the second such nomination this month. But it does look interesting, so...

With my third and final vote, I second The Apothecary Rose.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #34
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I think it was Agatha Christie (remember "Death Comes as the End" 1944?)

But there are several good ancient sleuths, as Gordianus by Steven Saylor (Ancient Rome), Judge Dee by Robert van Gulik (Ancient China), Sano Ichiro by Laura Joh Rowland (Ancient Japan), to name a few.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Did Ellis Peters start all this with her Brother Cadfael series, or were detectives from the Middle Ages always popular? This is the second such nomination this month. But it does look interesting, so...

With my third and final vote, I second The Apothecary Rose.
People may have this; I'm pretty sure it was a freebie at some point. I'm out of nominations so I can't help it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
But there are several good ancient sleuths, as Gordianus by Steven Saylor (Ancient Rome), Judge Dee by Robert van Gulik (Ancient China), Sano Ichiro by Laura Joh Rowland (Ancient Japan), to name a few.
The club read a Judge Dee, The Chinese Maze Murders, in 2011.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #36
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
In have a couple of nominations.

Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey, first published in 1949.

Spoiler:
Amazon.com Review
Brat Farrar has been carefully coached to assume the identity of Patrick Ashby, heir to the Ashby fortune who disappeared when he was 13. Just when it seems that Brat will pull off the deception, he discovers the truth about Patrick's disappearance, a dark secret that threatens to tear apart the family and jeopardize Brat's carefully laid plans. Called "the best of its kind" by the New Yorker, Josephine Tey's classic is a tale of unrelenting suspense and tension.

Review
“Josephine Tey enjoys a category to herself, as a virtuoso in the spurious . . . the nature of the deception on this occasion is too good to give away.”
— New Statesman

Amazon

Also there's a PD version at the Unversity of Adelaide's website. You can read it online:
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tey/josephine/

The other book I'd like to nominate is Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler, the first of his Bryant and May series.
Spoiler:

This mystery features the impending retirement of a Scotland Yard detective and the death of another. When Arthur Bryant is apparently blown up, his erstwhile partner, John May, begins reflecting on their first case together more than 60 years earlier. May, a raw recruit of 19, and Bryant, a 23-year-old detective, became the core of the Peculiar Crimes Unit, created to handle cases that were too important to ignore, yet that somehow seemed disproportionately insignificant in the face of the hundreds of civilians killed each night during the Blitz. Both men had been hurried through training and were suddenly faced with the strange case of the Palace Phantom, a killer victimizing the cast in an elaborate production of Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. May was both intrigued by and dismayed at Bryant's methods and seeming flights of fancy. He used everything from crime-scene forensics to spiritualists to help him build his case. Fowler skillfully shifts the action between 1940 and the 21st century, building suspense and growing awareness as each case comes to its respective climax. Not surprisingly, they are connected. The details of wartime London and the destruction and deprivation of daily life are vividly conveyed. Today's teens will identify with the young lives so drastically affected by the war while following the clues, and red herrings, to a satisfactory conclusion

Amazon
Kobo
Amazon UK
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I nominate Quiller Barracuda by Adam Hall.

This 1990 book is the 14th in the Quiller series. They need not be read in order.
How is it OK to read book 14 before any others? This I highly suspect. I've never read any series where you can read that far into it because it's OK to read out of order.

I would suggest you nominate the first book of the series. My guess is that you are up to 14 in the series and are just saying it's OK to read out of order just to try to get it to win so you can read 14.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #38
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll second Leviathan Wakes.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is it OK to read book 14 before any others? This I highly suspect. I've never read any series where you can read that far into it because it's OK to read out of order.

I would suggest you nominate the first book of the series. My guess is that you are up to 14 in the series and are just saying it's OK to read out of order just to try to get it to win so you can read 14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I nominate Quiller Barracuda by Adam Hall.

This 1990 book is the 14th in the Quiller series. They need not be read in order.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/adam-hall/

<SNIP>

The US price is currently only $4.99, less than other Quiller books.
I think it's obvious GA Russell choose the 14th book because it's the cheapest in the series, which is laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Some series benefit from being read in order; others, it doesn't really matter. I suspect Perry Mason's in the latter category.
I think the same goes for Quiller. With some series, the backstory is important and there's progression. With others, the situation is a given and largely unchanging.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think the same goes for Quiller. With some series, the backstory is important and there's progression. With others, the situation is a given and largely unchanging.
But what about the progression of the main character?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
No problem. I'll just replace CRussel's name with yours. He'll have one more vote and you'll have two more more left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
In have a couple of nominations.

Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey, first published in 1949.
OK, since I've had my vote restored, I'll toss in a second for Josephine Tey. I'm actually astounded that we've never read any of them. (And if you want another link to the book, in the Canadian Public Domain, here is the link to FadedPage.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #42
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
I think it's obvious GA Russell choose the 14th book because it's the cheapest in the series, which is laudable.

Actually, issy, I chose Quiller Barracuda because of the high praise it received. The second Quiller book, The Ninth Directive, is one of my most favorite books. I wanted to nominate a book I haven't yet read.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #43
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I'll second Brat Farrar and Full Dark House.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what about the progression of the main character?
For some series, character growth is far less important than continuity. Nero Wolfe is a case in point. Fascinating but unchanging characters and relationships form the framework upon which the stories hang, and they can be read in any order with no loss. In such series, the stability of the key characters is a plus. Curling up with one of these books is like a visit from an old friend. Their very unchanging nature works to develop a bond of trust with the reader.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #45
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
I'll second Brat Farrar and Full Dark House.
Crussell already seconded Brat Farrar, so this would be a third.

Can I get a third for Full Dark House? I've never read it but I have a friend who's a big fan of this series.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote