Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So in effect he is totally removing the CSS for ReadingFooter then?
Pretty much yes. It does make it simpler to change two values rather than digging through that long line to find the ones that apply to your device.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #92
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
There's also "fine tuning of top/bottom margins".
Actually, it says "fine tuning of top and left margins".
Maybe the 0,0 point of the page?

I guess, I now have enough incentive to switch finally to 2.8.1
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #93
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Actually, it says "fine tuning of top and left margins".
Maybe the 0,0 point of the page?

I guess, I now have enough incentive to switch finally to 2.8.1
Yes, it does say top & left. Maybe I should stop trying to post on the run Thanks for catching it!
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #94
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
As Anak commented, I'm not clear on what the "Margins fine tuning" values represent. Does anyone know what these do?

Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 848E86, 0, 10
# Top margin
replace_int = 848E88, 0, 10
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #95
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I haven't tried but I have a hunch it set's the "origin" for the top left corner of the screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #96
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
Running version 7 of the patcher. I get the following error for either line 10 or 12 of the conf file.

--------------------------------
Kobo Patch Generator ver. 1.0 (c) 2013 MZ

Loading config file ...
OK

Checking config syntax ...
Syntax error in config at line 12
----------------------------------

line 12 is (only removed '#' from downloaded version):
replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 110;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 30px;\n\tfont-size: 25px;\n}\n\n`

line 10 was only modified to put the comment on the front but it has same error message if not commented out.

What is going wrong here?
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #97
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You need the CURRENT version of kpg; you are using 1.0; the 07 patch includes version 1.3.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #98
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Does anyone know how to contact the patcher's author? (I dont speak russian so hard for me to register on his board)

I'd like to sent to him some requests like to start new ebooks always from page 1 (regardless TOCs), to force style like custom fonts and line spacing, to unlock restricted dictionaries, ect...

Last edited by byblo; 08-27-2013 at 05:30 AM.
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #99
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
On my Kobo Glo, the new footer modifications were causing all sorts of problems in .kepubs. Some books loaded fine but wouldn't display the chapter titles at the bottom, other books would hang the device as they tried to load and wouldn't display until I slept the Glo and woke it back up.

I've disabled the footer modifications for now.

I also noticed that there's two methods to fix the page break issues. Does anyone know what the difference is between them? Both work conditionally for me, one with some of my fonts, some with the other one, and yet some more of my fonts will only break on paragraphs no matter what. Very confusing.

I also found good results keeping the top margin at 10 and eliminating the left margin.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #100
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Yes, it does say top & left. Maybe I should stop trying to post on the run Thanks for catching it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
As Anak commented, I'm not clear on what the "Margins fine tuning" values represent. Does anyone know what these do?

Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 848E86, 0, 10
# Top margin
replace_int = 848E88, 0, 10
Yes, it does change the start coordinate of the viewport. It does not alter the size of the viewport itself. So it only shifts the viewport to the right and down.

For regular epub de default viewport staring point (x,y) is (0,n)
where n = default height top margin. I don't now the exact number but on a Touch my guess is about 10 to 20px.

There is no need to change the left margin as the viewport already starts at the first pixel: utilizing the full width (resolution) of the screen.
This is not so for the vertical height of the screen. This n-height top margin can not be reduced this way.
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Margins fine tuning`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 848E86, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 848E88, 1A 46, 00 22
# Values for replace
# Left margin
replace_int = 848E86, 0, 44
# Top margin
replace_int = 848E88, 0, 40
</Patch>
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Margins fine tuning`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 848E86, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 848E88, 1A 46, 00 22
# Values for replace
# Left margin
replace_int = 848E86, 0, 00
# Top margin
replace_int = 848E88, 0, 00
</Patch>
The book CSS contains this to remove all margins:
Code:
@page {margin:0;}
body {margin:0;}
p {margin:0;padding:0;}

See attached images.
An increased left margin shifts all text to the right and "pushes" part of the text that is located originally on the right hand side of the screen outside the screen demensions. Some words or part of words are not readable any more. Which can be seen in the attached images.

I don't now if it is possible to adjust the size viewport too when adjusting the start coordinate of the viewport.

Touch: screen resolution is 800×600 px
Default viewport width: 600 px (uses full screen width; no left or right margins)
Default viewport heigth: 800 px -/- n height of the top margin (hard coded top margin)
Assumption here: n height = 10 px
That makes the default viewport is 790 (800-/-10) × 600 px

When adjusting the start coordinate of the viewport to, lets say
left: 20
top: 30

The viewport size should be adjusted to 760 × 580 px (height: 790-/-30;width: 600 -/-20) to keep all text on the screen. But this creates uneven left and right page margins (only shifts the viewport). To create even left and right margins the viewport width should be adjusted 2*left margin settings (here: 2*20=40px) to 560 px.
But what I would like is to reduce the hard coded top margin completly. So I can read books full screen (for Touch: 800×600) and when I do need/like some page margins I can adjust them in the book CSS itself (where it should be).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	482
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	110114   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	486
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	110115  

Last edited by Anak; 08-28-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #101
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
After reading the tread and seeing the photos posted I decided to try the patcher, the first time didn’t worked so I gave up, but with the new version I decided to try again and this time it worked, just not the way I wanted.
I saw several photos with the page numbers in the footer in a smaller font, but I couldn’t make mine like that, I have no footer, I have a glo and after trying several combinations I ended up with 60/60/10 that seems to be used by several people, I also tried changing the font size in the footer, but it didn’t work.
Can somenome tell me how to make the footer apear in small letters?
Thank’s in advance.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #102
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
comment out the first line and uncomment the 2nd:

Original:
Code:
# Disable footer example
replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter...
# Decrease footer example
#replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter...
New (see the reversed # signs?):
Code:
# Disable footer example
To make the font bigger/smaller, change this number (you will find this almost at the end of that second line where you removed the # sign:
Code:
...\n\theight: 30px;\n\tfont-size: 25px;\n}
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #103
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
In version 0.7 there's no part
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable reading footer style`
patch_enable = `no`
replace_bytes = 9B9444, 0E F7 22 E4, 00 46 00 46
</Patch>
in "kpg.conf" anymore.

Does it mean, one should not use that config code?
Or, more specific:
What is the best way to disable the footer completly?
(I'm not sure, if I will keep such a radical configuration, but I like to try it some days/weeks to be sure, if I miss the page numbers really.)

Another detail:
Does Kobo Patcher affects only *.epub or even *.kepub?

I ask, because I like the option in KEPUBs to apply userstyles in a more easy and centralized way than for EPUBs.
But on the other hand, I dislike the header in KEBUBs. I there's no way to shut them off, I would not use KEBUBs.

Thanks.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #104
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
In version 0.7 there's no part
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Disable reading footer style`
patch_enable = `no`
replace_bytes = 9B9444, 0E F7 22 E4, 00 46 00 46
</Patch>
in "kpg.conf" anymore.

Does it mean, one should not use that config code?
Or, more specific:
What is the best way to disable the footer completly?
(I'm not sure, if I will keep such a radical configuration, but I like to try it some days/weeks to be sure, if I miss the page numbers really.)
I just left the `Custom reading footer style` patch exactly as it is in metazoa's file, which again removed the footer completely on my Aura HD, just as in the earlier versions of the patch.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #105
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
comment out the first line and uncomment the 2nd:

Original:
Code:
# Disable footer example
New (see the reversed # signs?):
Code:
# Disable footer example
To make the font bigger/smaller, change this number (you will find this almost at the end of that second line where you removed the # sign:
Code:
...\n\theight: 30px;\n\tfont-size: 25px;\n}
Thank you, I made the changes and now I have the footer in small letters, however I still have an empty line between the text and the footer, I changed
Quote:
tmin-height: 40px;\n\tmax-height: 40px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20
but when I run the kpg.exe it gives an error and no file is made. This is what I have
Spoiler:
Quote:
replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 40px;\n\tmax-height: 40px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 10;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `* {\n\theight: 35px;\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n`
</Patch>

and this is the error I get when running kpg
Spoiler:

Thank you for your help, I realize that probably this is quite simple to fix if you know what you are doing, which is not my case, I try to understand and learn what I can, but sometimes I get stucked and have to ask for help or give up on trying to change things
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote