Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #106
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
but it's certainly not the case that everything pre-2007 was wonderful and working perfectly, then the iPhone came along and ruined it all...

Just sayin'
The point being that many things didn't exactly change for the better, the most unfortunate thing about it is that so many companies followed Apple's lead, depriving us of our choices. Well, the other companies also found out offering less functionality for more money makes a lot of sense for the bottom line!

But really, tell me how did the dust get into the covered SD card slots and not into the iphone's SIM card slot? It basically is the same.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #107
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, the other companies also found out offering less functionality for more money makes a lot of sense for the bottom line!
I think there's a bit more to it than that - as Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola & LG have found out to their cost.

Quote:
But really, tell me how did the dust get into the covered SD card slots and not into the iphone's SIM card slot? It basically is the same.
SIM card was buried inside the phone beneath the battery, so no slot as such. As I say, I was only there for a year, but as I understand it the company saw sense and started specifying 'ruggedised' phones for the people who needed them.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #108
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbroome View Post
I'll never move over the cloud. I like to buy stuff and own it and be able to access it without internet access. No idea what people see in this cloud stuff.
I don't stream from the cloud, but I do stream from my PC. Disk space is cheaper than flash memory.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #109
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
SIM card was buried inside the phone beneath the battery, so no slot as such.
The mSD card slot on my Galaxy Player 4 is located underneath the back cover. The same thing with my old school flip phone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #110
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
it's certainly not the case that everything pre-2007 was wonderful and working perfectly, then the iPhone came along and ruined it all...

Just sayin'
I worked construction as a student, and smashed a watch while doing so. On the other hand my current watch has lasted over ten years, several batteries and countless straps maybe because, like most of the population, I don't currently work construction. Extreme conditions require ruggedized equipment, but that's what they are extreme conditions, not mainstream.

The iPhone sim card slots in externally, not internally, it has a completely unprotected adapter socket on the bottom and relatively unprotected speakers and buttons. I don't think one of them would last long in construction either. I certainly wouldn't take one to work on a concrete gang. On the other hand I've carried SD slot devices in my pocket for years and never, ever had a problem with them. I've never needed a "cloud" either.

To me it's still FUD and a desire from some quarters to promote expensive, limited "cloud" services.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #111
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I know what providers see in "this cloud stuff".

$$$$$$$$$
The way there's a huge push towards it at the same time as tiered data plans and limited "unlimited" data is kinda hilarious.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #112
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbroome View Post
The way there's a huge push towards it at the same time as tiered data plans and limited "unlimited" data is kinda hilarious.
Exactly. Even my home broadband has a limit of 250GB per month. We need faster pipes and unlimited data (or more generous bandwidth limits) for the "cloud" to work.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #113
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Exactly. Even my home broadband has a limit of 250GB per month. We need faster pipes and unlimited data (or more generous bandwidth limits) for the "cloud" to work.
I agree. And that's just one thing we'd need for it to really work. There are others.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #114
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The point being that many things didn't exactly change for the better, the most unfortunate thing about it is that so many companies followed Apple's lead, depriving us of our choices.
Did you not like when pcs stop arriving with floppy?
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #115
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Did you not like when pcs stop arriving with floppy?
Funny you should mention that --- we now need to go around and hunt for external floppy disks for use in our company. A lot of customers use old automated production equipment and the programs that are written for it must be input by 3 1/2" floppy disks. Took us a whole day scouting computer malls to come up with a vastly overpriced external drive that connects to USB just a few months ago for a customer. Only this way he can use a new computer for new software and it is still compatible with his machines.

Hell, some very old embroidery machines are still be run by tape with punch code.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-02-2012 at 06:40 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #116
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
After eight pages...

I would love a seven inch Fire with blue tooth, gps, and a camera. It would need to cost less than $300.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #117
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Other people who might need more storage from their tablets: Original content creators, sound engineers, composers, filmmakers and field recordists. And those numbers should include amateurs, since content creation is one of the potential joys of owning a tablet for anyone.

That said, we have to stop presuming the KF is limited in terms of being a walled garden. I myself used to say this until I visited XDA and found that, when rooted, the Fire is a more flexible and powerful open Android Tablet than the Nook Color and other B&N offerings. People on that site have been ecstatic about their rooted experience with the Fire. Frankly, if I weren't watching my belt at the moment, I'd have grabbed one during Amazon's sale last weekend.

In the long run, I expect I'll need more power, though, and should save/lie in wait for sales accordingly. The iPad turns out to be quite a good device for music production on a small scale. The ASUS looks interesting, but I have yet to love the screen on any ASUS laptop or tablet I've tried so far. They always seem to skimp in that area. If the iPad runs a serviceable version of Logic, then it becomes the original music creation tablet for Android to beat. I'm hoping that Samsung will create something for Google after ASUS has its shot.

And I'd like a removable battery as well. Perhaps it's time for that feature to make a comeback on the same Android tablet that offers an SD slot or two.

And multiple dictionaries for the reader would be nice. Apple's inline dictionary is pretty, but it isn't going to help you if you're reading an Italian novel in which some of the words and phrases haven't been translated, or a bilingual edition of Mallarme.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-03-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #118
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
After eight pages...

I would love a seven inch Fire with blue tooth, gps, and a camera. It would need to cost less than $300.
I want a 7" tablet with ICS, Google Play, and mSD for less than $200.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #119
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want a 7" tablet with ICS, Google Play, and mSD for less than $200.
I want a 5" tablet than unfolds to 10", with a life time supply of ice cream sandwiches, delivered by a Playboy Playmate who owes me $200.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #120
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I want a 5" tablet than unfolds to 10", with a life time supply of ice cream sandwiches, delivered by a Playboy Playmate who owes me $200.

ApK
I'm voting for yours.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote