Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
This is a UK service. Do many libraries in the UK offer ebooks? If you are a UK resident, can you join any library in the country, or do you have to live in the area that the library serves?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
potpneherb
potpneherb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I think you need an address in the library's catchment area, I know Liverpool library has an ebook lending program but the selection just isn't very good. When I had a look I found that they would have books 2 and 5 in a series or something similar which I found strange
potpneherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by potpneherb View Post
I think you need an address in the library's catchment area
Not necessarily, so it's worth checking. I joined Luton library (http://www.lutonlibraries.co.uk/) despite not living there - you just have to pay them a physical visit once to show them your id when you join.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Well, my public library allows me to borrow up to 99 (!) electronic media at the same time. This service costs me 10 € (13.70 USD)/year.
4 books don't sound very alluring for a commercial subscription service.
Ah, but what is your selection like ? If its anything like my library, its limited.
If this service offers a better selection, then its worth paying the money.

Your library offers DVDs and CDs that you can borrow free, too. Yet iTunes and Netflix are flourishing businesses.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Ah, but what is your selection like ? If its anything like my library, its limited.
If this service offers a better selection, then its worth paying the money.

Your library offers DVDs and CDs that you can borrow free, too. Yet iTunes and Netflix are flourishing businesses.
One difference with Netflix - at least you can turn back in the movie as soon as you are done with it and not have to wait two weeks to return it. With a system such as that, they have capped your "borrowing" to no more than 8 books a month (provided you get the maximum of 4 out at a time).

I'm sure somewhere a system like this could work. It would need to be a lace that does not have decent library coverage. I live in SE PA and the libraries are all over the place, so it would have a very hard time taking hold here.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
potpneherb
potpneherb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I think the reason it's capped at 8 books a month is so that royalties to the publisher are not spread too thin. I think they are going to have the first chapter of books available for subscribers to read online so you can get a feel for the book before you loan it although I'm not to sure about that.
potpneherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
That sounds like a very expensive library card...I'd rather just keep my library card and call it a day.
Exactly. I say Support the Public Libraries!

(this is very akin to School vouchers as far as I'm concerned -- hate them too!)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #23
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Exactly. I say Support the Public Libraries!

(this is very akin to School vouchers as far as I'm concerned -- hate them too!)
i've gotta agree with that. cut the nonsense out of public education and you won't need school vouchers.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
OMG, Sooooo true! I can't understand it myself. The county I live in has the HIGHEST property taxes and the POOREST schools in the area. It drives me CRAZY that there are no libraries in walking (shit, barely driving) distance AND the kids here get piss poor educations. Library? What's a library? Do you mean it's a place where kids in school can use books? Strange thing, that. The kids here have great parks & recreation.

I see private school in my children's futures.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OMG, Sooooo true! I can't understand it myself. The county I live in has the HIGHEST property taxes and the POOREST schools in the area. It drives me CRAZY that there are no libraries in walking (shit, barely driving) distance AND the kids here get piss poor educations. Library? What's a library? Do you mean it's a place where kids in school can use books? Strange thing, that. The kids here have great parks & recreation.

I see private school in my children's futures.
Yeah the big thing on our city vote this year is a multi-million-dollar recreation center ..... and they are closing libraries!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah the big thing on our city vote this year is a multi-million-dollar recreation center ..... and they are closing libraries!
What is that about??! I don't give a good damn if my kid has great recreation if he/she can't read. Sheesh. Since when did extracurricular activities become more important than the education itself?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
kennyc

Quote:
What is that about??! I don't give a good damn if my kid has great recreation if he/she can't read. Sheesh. Since when did extracurricular activities become more important than the education itself?
Apparently that is exactly the case here. We'll see if the vote passes or not. There was a "save the libraries" vote last year that failed.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #28
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Rec centers serve as glorified babysitters - that is probably the appeal.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #29
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I want recreations centers AND libraries. Perhaps we could have both if churches were no longer exempt from income/property/sales taxes. It's a shame that teachers are being fired throughout the country because of budget reasons. That's all I have to say so that I'm not flagged for the Politics and Religion forum.

Last edited by SCION; 10-25-2011 at 12:00 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, lending