Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Please disable editing of post

Please consider disabling editing of posts.

Several times I have gone to a thread to read it only to find that the original poster has edited or removed their question after it was answered. This makes it hard to know what the replies are talking about, or makes the entire thread useless. It's particularly annoying when searching for something specific only to find that the poster got their answer and then self-destructed the thread.

I realize that being able to edit a post is convenient, but the forum already provides the ability to preview a post before publishing it. An occasional typo or spelling mistake is preferable to having confusing or useless threads.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
As one who is notorious for making typos..I would have to say a big old "NO" to this suggestion. Anyone following the thread will probably see whats happening, or ask if they're not sure. Taking away everyone's editing rights because one or two bad threads is ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Maybe then set it so one can only edit for 15 minutes, or some other reasonable amount of time, after posting.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As one who is notorious for making typos..I would have to say a big old "NO" to this suggestion. Anyone following the thread will probably see whats happening, or ask if they're not sure. Taking away everyone's editing rights because one or two bad threads is ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

Halo do you have an example of a post that has prompted this request....
There is a "reason for edit" box that sometimes gets filled in.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you Nyssa. I occasionally make typo's and it is good to be able to correct myself if I catch that I've made an error. Or sometimes I see my posting (after just having made it) and realize that I haven't made my meaning quite clear so I go back and add to it in an effort to avoid confusion.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
As annoying as it is when people delete what they have posted I can't think of a single thread I've seen on this forum where you can't get the gist of the conversation from the responses.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
SylvieB1984
Enthusiast
SylvieB1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah I for one have used the edit feature also... notorious for typos here too, and I like to fix them lol
SylvieB1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'd be happy with a time limit of at least 15 minutes, but not with the removal of the ability to edit completely. Having said that, in all the time I've been on MR, I've never found people editing their posts out of recognition to be an issue.

This is a community with a large proportion of users who love good writing and like to hone their contributions for clarity, so being able to edit is important.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 07-04-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: needed to choose a better word.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Here's a thread I came across earlier today where the OP has deleted his initial post after 5 replies, causing no end of confusion.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141312
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Here's a thread I came across earlier today where the OP has deleted his initial post after 5 replies, causing no end of confusion.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141312

Unusual situation - I can't say I've noticed that happen often. I can accept that the posts immediately below the first seem to have no bearing on what I gather the OP was asking about.

Not too sure it needed the original deleting, all he needed to do was politely ask the posters to 'get on topic'.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Well, this one is even more funny!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141361

And I don't really think this is a global problem, enough to actually turn off the feature. But rather one person that doesn't get the answers he wants and then goes sulking...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Well, this one is even more funny!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141361

And I don't really think this is a global problem, enough to actually turn off the feature. But rather one person that doesn't get the answers he wants and then goes sulking...
Seems a mite childish.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I agree that the substance of a post shouldn't be adjusted to change a point of view or -- heaven forbid -- remove a post on whim (that's a mod job). But that's down to personal integrity. The edit facility should be -- and I think mostly is -- used to fix embarrassing trypos and, in my case, sometimes to add a useful link. I don't alter or add to a post once a single comment is made. That's rude. But I feel the ability to edit is an important feature if not abused. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
Seconded ! I need the edit button !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I suspect the OP in the two threads cited diagnosed his own problem to discover it was down to PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard) and deleted his posts to cover it up.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote