Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #31
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post

I also downloaded the MyCast Weather app ($4.99), and it is neat! It puts the temperature in the bar at the bottom of the screen, and when I touch the Nook Color's notifications icon, the temperature, location, current weather, and weather alerts come up along with the SD card and Nook info. Cool!
Can you tell me if your home for weather is in Canada, Hamilton for example if this ap would be any use?
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #32
12paws
12paws began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Hi I'm new here and I was hoping to get some help with the update on my Nookcolor. I've done the updates before and had no problem. Today tho, I did a manual update, put it in my nook as followed instructions and so far, update HAS NOT happened and still have 1.1.0. What else is recommended in order to push the update and take place? Also ... dumb question, as I've searched here ... what does root nook means/what does it do/purpose of it?

Thanks in advance!
12paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can't say that I'm surprised. The major shortcomings of the stock reader app and update 1.1 were precursors to this. I've outgrown the stock device. I'll just buy an Android tablet now and move on.
I agree. I unrooted my NC this morning and updated. My bad; guess I should have checked the apps first. They are charging for all this stuff I got for free in the regular Android market?

I really wanted to support B&N but it looks like I, too, will be in the market for a regular Android tablet. Any recommendations?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Is there a way to go BACKWARDS? I think I want to go ahead and just root.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
-Email works well. It actually looks better than the stock Android email app in my opinion. I only set it up with Gmail. As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust the settings for email. It's not push since that would probably kill battery life, I have no idea how often it refreshes.
There is a way to adjust the settings in the email program (I have 4 email accounts loaded into this). To get to the settings, you tap the drop-down menu at the top, then hit Accounts, so it lists all of your accounts by name. At the right side is a wheel icon. Tap that to get to the settings.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #36
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paws View Post
Hi I'm new here and I was hoping to get some help with the update on my Nookcolor. I've done the updates before and had no problem. Today tho, I did a manual update, put it in my nook as followed instructions and so far, update HAS NOT happened and still have 1.1.0. What else is recommended in order to push the update and take place? Also ... dumb question, as I've searched here ... what does root nook means/what does it do/purpose of it?

Thanks in advance!
First part of the question - it usually means that your update download was corrupt. (Hopefully, someone will post an MD5 of one that works.)

Second part of your question is in my signature.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #37
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snard View Post
That's odd; the article posted on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/b...s-and-flash-w/) says that landscape reading has been added. I don't have the download yet so I can't verify their claim. Has anyone else noticed if books can be read in landscape? (other than the children's books from before that could ONLY be read in landscape)
No, landscape is NOT available in the new update - I'm always careful not to take too seriously what the Engadget children report on!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #38
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can't say that I'm surprised. The major shortcomings of the stock reader app and update 1.1 were precursors to this. I've outgrown the stock device. I'll just buy an Android tablet now and move on.
+1 Totally agree.

B&N stock device deviated so much from the stock Android OS that it's major work for them to add their B&N features on top of moving Android platform. I had no expectation with their new update would make the device more tablet like and folks disappointment only confirms my suspicion.

For over a month now I've been running Gingerbread 2.3 (CM7) on my nook and couldn't be happier. Folks on CM7 keep on adding features and bug fixes faster than I care to update. They've even added tablet like features to make the nook more tablet like.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
For over a month now I've been running Gingerbread 2.3 (CM7) on my nook and couldn't be happier.
How does this differ from the images available at xda? Will the B&N update also blow away your CM7? If my rooted nook is going to get hosed I might as well look at the alternatives.....
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #40
12paws
12paws began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stuart View Post
First part of the question - it usually means that your update download was corrupt. (Hopefully, someone will post an MD5 of one that works.)

Second part of your question is in my signature.
Thanks!
12paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #41
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I turned my wifi off for now until I find out if it will block a root or not in case I decide to root again. I don't think it will, but who knows. All I really wanted was:
- sideloaded books on home screen
- flash support
- pdf to bookmark
- better browser or browser app

It did do a couple of those things and I can download ezpdf so it's not too bad for me.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Can you tell me if your home for weather is in Canada, Hamilton for example if this ap would be any use?

I just tried changing the location in my app, and Hamiltion, ONT., does show up, radar map, data, and all!

Back to reset it to my home in Indiana.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #43
orb9220
orb9220 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Successful download of update and install

File name: nookcolor_1_2_update.zip
File size: 190 MB (199,715,879 bytes) Size on disk: 190 MB (199,716,864 bytes)
MD5 checksum: D0B6323258F2793D19A1C9286E2AB753

But underwhelmed of the update. Waiting for autonooter 3.1?
orb9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #44
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
But underwhelmed of the update. Waiting for autonooter 3.1?
This was going to be my next question. I unrooted this morning. Do I have to wait for a new autonooter in order to root my NC and put CM7 on it?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'll do that once it comes out, I'm so new to the Nook Color, that I think I like it so far. The Comics I was able to just convert to ePub and they look awesome!

Is there any way to remove from your library things that you put on a shelf?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote