Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
sean729
sean729 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Facebook ePub

Hello. Just wanted to share a successful, if somewhat unconventional, conversion story.

Not too long ago Facebook activated a feature that allowed users to download a backup of their data as a zip archive. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r0egO0x07g

I reviewed the structure and contents of the facebook zip archive and it seemed pretty straightforward containing html, jpg, mp4 files, so on a lark I imported it into Calibre 0.7.53 and was able to convert it into an epub file.

The epub contained all wall posts, photos, notes, profile information and was readable on a Kobo. Of course the Kobo cannot play the video. Not sure how other devices like an iPad might be able to handle video embedded in an epub (my guess is probably not).

I tried to do this with Facebook after I failed to find a way to get my blogspot content into an epub format file. There is a for-charge service called blog2print that will create a PDF as well as a bound soft cover book.

http://blogspot.sharedbook.com/blog2...ger/index.html

It gave me the idea that I might be able to use the blogger export feature to generate an epub, but no luck there. Would be nice if it was possible.
sean729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert