Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Need a bit of nook help here please.

Hi,

I found a guy that wants to sell me a nook Wi-Fi for $100.

I spoke to him on the phone tonight and he said he got it for Christmas, charged it up, turned it on, turned it off and put it back in the box.

I asked him if he registered it and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Maybe his story is true.

Anyway, I'm meeting him tomorrow. I asked him to charge it tonight so I could turn it on when we meet.

What should I look for? Are there different versions of it like 1.0, 1.1 and so on? If so, which is good and which is not so good?

What should I be on the lookout for when I test it out and how do I test it for the various functions and so on?

I need help on this please. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I thank you,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyfinn; 03-29-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: rephrase
mickeyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Let's see. About 50 people have read my request for help so far.

Is there a secret handshake or something folks have to know to get people to help them here in MobileRead?

Anyway, thank y'all for the wonderful advice.

Last edited by mickeyfinn; 03-29-2011 at 05:02 AM.
mickeyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello Mickey,

I have never seen a Nook in my life, but I would just search for scratches on the device, to determin if it was used or not and think the version should be given on the package or in its papers.

OTOH they sell refurbished Nooks for 89$ now.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The version doesn't matter too much unless you want to root it (and that is apparently easier with the old type hardware, as I understand it.)
The software (firmware) version is easy to update. Once you regsiter it (if you want to do that) ir will get to you automatically if you're connected to Internet.
I have no idea if there is something particular to look out for, except of course signs of careless use.

OT: Where can I get a refurb for 89? More friends want me to shop for them...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...furbished+nook
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If you are wanting to root the Nook (get access to change things on Nook like the way non B&N books are in a different folder and don't have cover flow, etc...), it is much easier to root Nooks with serial numbers starting with 1001-1002, once you get to the nooks starting with 1003, they get more complicated to root.

If you are uninterested in rooting, it doesn't matter what serial number you have. It also doesn't matter what firmware you have (1.5 is the newest) as it it extremely easy to update.

I would check the page turn buttons as some of the first nooks had problems with the buttons cracking. I can't really think of anything else. Hopefully he has some of the free B&N books on it so you can see how it works, but if it is unregistered it probably doesn't have any.

Good luck!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

I found a guy that wants to sell me a nook Wi-Fi for $100.

I spoke to him on the phone tonight and he said he got it for Christmas, charged it up, turned it on, turned it off and put it back in the box.

I asked him if he registered it and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Maybe his story is true.

Anyway, I'm meeting him tomorrow. I asked him to charge it tonight so I could turn it on when we meet.

What should I look for? Are there different versions of it like 1.0, 1.1 and so on? If so, which is good and which is not so good?

What should I be on the lookout for when I test it out and how do I test it for the various functions and so on?

I need help on this please. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I thank you,

Mickey
Hi Mickey it's only 11:00 am here on the East Coast, LOL patience my friend, people will start to chime in.

you should look it over, no dings, cracks etc.
It should have V1.5 but no worries if it doesn't, once connected to wifi it should update itself. If not you can always go to BN.com and update it manually from there, super easy.

Just ask if you can have about 5 to 10 mins with it. Get to know the device a bit, Don't start tapping things like someone who just drank 10 cups of coffee and then a bag of M&M's. You have to remember the LCD tech is handshaking with the eInk tech, so it's tap ta da, tap ta da. It's almost like a waltz

Also if you have Barnes and Noble in the neighborhood, it may be a good idea to go there, and they should have Nook staff at the Nook display and have them run over some of the features etc.

hope this helps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote