Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo screen with problem

I live in Brazil and bought a Kobo at borders on october, it arrive just before Christmas. So far everything was fine, been reading it everyday.
Yesterday I read a little before going to sleep. Today when I picked it up the screen was showing the cover of the book. After I turned it on the upper part of the screen is fine but the lower part has problems.

In the middel the image is fixed, looking like the cover of the book (about the width of a finger), bellow that the image is also fine (left side abot one third of the screen) but the rest show light grey bars.

I tryed turning it on an off but the problem remains. Also tryed reseting but nothing changed.

As I said the cover of the book was fine when I picked it up today, but after I turning it on, even if I turn it off I can't even get the cover right.

I noticed some people here had similar problems, but have anyone managed to get it solved withou returning the device ? I'm not sure Borders will pay for the international postage back...
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What happens when you turn all iterations of cover display off? That would mean changing the options in settings and perhaps also in how your "books" list appears.

What Kobo reader do you have--WiFi or original? What version of the firmware? Which desktop application do you use, and what version of that are you using?

The two versions of the reader don't seem to do resets the same way, in terms of what one has to do to get a truly clean install.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Mine is Wifi, firmware is 1.8 (I think, with only half the screen is hard to walk around to check)
The desktop app I've used so far is Calibre.
I imagine that turning anything related to covers off will not help. hte screen is messed up in every place I go.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If you can post a picture it might help. There seem to be two possibilities: 1. the screen is cracked, or 2. the screen connector is slightly loose. Usually a crack would show diagonal jagged edges. I've never seen pictures of a confirmed loose connector, but I would guess the bad parts would be nicely rectangular, matching the dot array. Kobo should certainly replace the second, I'm not sure of the first.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

When I get hoem I'll take a picture.
But I can advance that the part in the middle that is fixed has a diagonal line, bellow dark above light.
The rest of the imageis formed by horizontal bars (grey) like barcodes, some parts the bars are vertical.
I do not think it's a crack, the turned off image was fine, just after I turned it on today and saw it messed up taht the off image is also messed.
Had it been a crack it would be messed before turning it on.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A number of years ago, I bought some sort of techie toy in the US. When it developed a problem, I was surprised to find out that the warranty was good only in the country selling it and that I could not receive warranty based services unless the device was shipped to them from the US.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Here is the picture

I imagine that I'll need to ship it to somewhere. The big problem is the high cost posting here
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

My husband has had something similar. It happened when he tried to turn the reader off when it was plugged in and charging. I did a paperclip reset and it was healed. I am not saying you will have the same luck . His reader was fully charged when i did it. I am not sure that makes any difference.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Already tryed that. No luck. WIl leave it charging but I doubt it'll make any difference but doesn't hurt trying.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Here is the picture

reminds me of the screen problems I had with my first Nintendo Game Boy 20 years ago...

best guess would be a loose connector, I also have the black Wifi kobo but cannot figure out how to get it open to look at the hardware...

So far I have not had ANY issues (except freezing or hanging up on loading converted epub files, or trying to view TXT files) since I bought it on Dec 26th 2010...
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

SO we've been using it for the same time. I bought mine on Oct, pre ordered, but only received it around xmas. Before this issue it was working fine.

Just tryed reset fully charged. Also tryed factory reset. The only change is that, after factory reset, I got time set (as expected) but not being able to see it all makes harder to move on.

Last edited by JexMcByte; 01-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

You might just have to try and return it. Manufacturer's defects happen--and they are covered under warranty--but doing it internationally has to be a huge challenge.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

I also opened a ticket at kobobooks and a custom care request at borders.
Havent receveied any feedback from any of them yet
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

People with screen problems on the Get Satisfaction Kobo Support Board, which is "official" and staffed by Kobo employees, are reporting that readers returned to them that have manufacturers defects involving the screen are being replaced under warranty but that screens that have been damaged by the user are replaced for $70CAD.

If you don't have a response from Kobo in a few days, go to that board and recap with your ticket number. I have no idea how they handle return of readers from your country.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
JexMcByte
Enthusiast

Wonder how they decide the problem is manufacture defect or user related. Mine was workiing at night and not working in the morning.

Guess a ghost could have mishandled it somewhere

Jokes apart, I followed your link and posted a problem there also.
Thanks