Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
rodrick
rodrick began at the beginning.

Device: smartq t7
Smartq T7 very nice

Ordered The Smartq T7 a week ago from www.jiongtang.com. arrive a couple of days ago. So far the best reader I have ever had.
The first was a Rocket Ebook reader, then a Compac PDA, With ubook. The most successful up till now was the Siemens SL4 Simpad, again running ubook tried a couple of palms, and most recently a Smartq 7, running FBreader was pretty good. After couple of days of use, hands down winner is the T7 running FBreader.
It's lighter than the smartq t7 is slimmer, I find it very comfortable to hold.
the buttons are useful and of high quality. And android is a pleasure to use in the tablet format, much better than Ubuntu on the smartq 7. I actually like Android better on the T7 than I do on my Motorola Milestone, which I find kinda odd.
The T7's screen is very nice 800x600 the 600 makes a big difference. Also makes a big difference for browsing the web which on the T7 is a pleasant exercise.
When I unpacked the T7 it was running 2.1 revision 2.4 which was buggy as hell. upgraded to 2.1 revision 3 and what a change runs beautifully. It comes with ireader which I haven't even tried. First thing I did was go to google market and downloaded FBreader. Aldiko is very nice but I find FBreader faster and the interface cleaner. Google market, Gmail, and Calendar ship with the T7. It even comes with Terminal Emulator, I doubt I'll ever use it but I love the fact it's there, shows respect for there customers.
rodrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
You can't imagine how excited I was to see your post! I ordered a T7 about a month ago from Hotmid, but then I had to leave town and it got hung up at the border. Am hoping to get it sometime next week. I couldn't find the T7 on jiontang's site though...just the Q7 and Q5.

This is the first I've seen about it other than Chippy's review and video at Carrypad (which was the reason I decided to buy it).
http://carrypad.com/2010/08/27/smart...e-update-news/

Although I haven't really looked since I've been back, I was beginning to fear no one was buying it because it was junk. Whew! What a relief to read your positives about it as a reader because that will be its primary use for me, although I'm sure I'll spend/waste a lot of time tinkering as this will be my first experience with Android. I've already bookmarked the Android forum but it's good to see someone here at MR w/a T7.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead.
d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 09-21-2010 at 11:41 PM.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
rodrick
rodrick began at the beginning.

I'm glad my post was of help. I have followed this forum for quite a few years using it as a guide to which device I would buy for my reading. Have been using the Smartq 7 since it came out (Thank you ColdSun for your reviews). But Ubuntu on a tablet has issues. Having a Android phone I thought that android would make a very good operating system for a reader. Except the Android tablets have been kind of ordinary and I like buttons. The Smartq T7 is the first to tick all the box's for me.

After having it for a few days. the only thing that I would like to improve is battery life, it isn't bad but it could be better. I havn't timed it but I get a solid few hours, I think better that my Smartq 7. and better than anything else I have had except my original Rocket which would give you a solid 8 to 10 hours. The T7 also uses a little to much power in standby. Good while you go make a cup of coffee or feed the Cats. but no while your at work.
rodrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Coolmicro
Groupie
Coolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enough

Device: Tablette android SmartQ T7 - Nook Touch - Pocketbook 602
Hello,
I'm French and I bought a tablet SmartQ for 20 days.
Very happy with my purchase, I use several hours a day to read ebooks of our site (www.ebooksgratuits.com).
For those interested, I made a small web page in French on this subject:
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/divers/smartq_t7.html
Coolmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
jellycan
jellycan began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ T7
Just got my T7 for two days, first impression has been good, overall build quality is better than expected. Have tried reading a couple of pdf documents, not perfect but more than workable. One thing though, I can't download from Market, it can browse no problem, but it just gets stuck at "start downloading", then nothing happens. Have goggled this, apparently quite a common problem, wonder if it is anything to do with the particular revision of Android 2.1 it is running? Anyone in the know care to shed light on this?

slowpod
jellycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes, the market does not support slate devices yet. It's a conscience decision by Google, as in most cases the screen resolution is not supported. Rather than have users have a bad experience, they just say "It's not supported"

The work around is to find the *.APK file from some other source, load it onto the SD card and run it with some kind of file manager. If you have a supported Android phone, you can download it to the phone, but don't install, then copy it to your PC, then to your slate.

They say Android 3.0 will support tablets, thus the market. We'll see! That's the reason that I'm holding off on getting an Android slate; when I see one running 3.0 and the Market, I'll take a closer look.

Last edited by wodin; 10-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
jellycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, the market does not support slate devices yet. It's a conscience decision by Google, as in most cases the screen resolution is not supported. Rather than have users have a bad experience, they just say "It's not supported"
Thanks for this information, Wodin. I can download from some Chinese sites that are sort of Market look alike, so it is technically possible and works well, strange Google can't or won't do that.

I bought my tablet mostly for ebook reading, so I am not too disappointed about not being able to download from Market.

Jelly
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
jellycan

I upgraded my T7 firmware to V3 and so far Market works, I have successfully installed two free apps from Market. BTW, V3 is worth getting just for the nicer hq interface and longer battery life.

Jelly
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jellycan, Try this for Apps: http://slideme.org/home/

Seems to have most of what Android market has. I was also was able to download apps from AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com), although I think this site may be affiliated with market because I had to sign up for a GMail account.

Where did you find firmware V3? I looked everywhere I could think of but only found 2.1 as the latest version.

You can probably guess that I'm having my first Android experiences.

And in that vein, can anybody tell whether the horizontal scroll key is ONLY for volume control? The only application I could scroll horizontally in was Alkido eBook reader.
All other places I've tried to use it as a horizontal scroll key in just opens up the damn ringer volume.
d
Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
jellycan

[QUOTE=CharlieBird;1157800]jellycan, Try this for Apps: http://slideme.org/home/

Where did you find firmware V3? I looked everywhere I could think of but only found 2.1 as the latest version.

Thanks CharlieBird, have looked at Slideme and it is okay, except the process of installing apps are a bit cumbersome.

firmware V3 is still Android 2.1, it is just an update over the previous 2.1 firmware, you only find it in the Chinese version of the official website, download the first link below.

http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/support/download/T7/

Market now works well, except it does not scroll in portrait mode, it will scroll in landscape mode, weird!

Jellycan
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

I see what you mean about the firmware numbers. I did have the latest V3. Thx. It's odd about how Market works (or doesn't) for you, because the only way I've used it is in the portrait mode.

I'm liking my T7 more every day. As you mentioned, the quality is better than expected and it's a real pleasure to hold. I'm wishing my cell phone had an Android OS. Starting to feel comfortable with Android and like it more also. It seems to be an investigatory type learning because I've not found any kind of general informational-type manuals on it. For instances, do you know if there is a trash bin to empty w/accumulated deletions? Like Windows or Linux.
d
Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
goforit
goforit began at the beginning.

Device: smartqt7, pocket edge
I'm looking for an ereader+MID with handwriting recognition, because I'd prefer that to an onscreen keyboard for searches and writing emails. The smartq T7's resistive screen combined with an Android app looks as if handwriting recognition should be possible, but I'd really like to hear from someone who's actually tried it before buying.

Secondly, does anyone know what it's like to use a dictionary, preferably foreign, with a reading app? Is it just a matter of tapping on a word and up pops the definition in a window?

TIA for any info.
goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
wanchilai
wanchilai began at the beginning.

smartq t7 blank screen

i bought unit of smartq t7 last week. my problem is, the device
completely cannot be used,only blank screen (white) appear when
i push start button. Hope anybody can advice me on how to solve this problem.
wanchilai is offline   Reply With Quote