Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #151
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
One word more! hi folks what do you expect for 139 €!? in the meantime an ipad mni cost 500 €
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #152
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
Now i remember. Yes there were some ugly bugs in the T1 firmware. But it got fixed with a view firmware upgrades. I just read about this because I got my T1 later, when these bugs are fixed. Since this time these the firmware is stable as the firmware of nook or kindle. The T2 never had such big bugs.

But i can understand that someone experienced the T1 at it got first announced and sold. But believe me these bugs are fixed. The T1 with the later firmware is stable, the T2 is stable, so i see not why the T3 should have some flaky.

By the way, i also had an PRS 650. This was my first reader. It was a nice reader, but it had an bug with drm ebooks, and that bug got lately fixed by sony.
Reader freezes when accessing dictionary while reading

PRS-T1 becomes unresponsive

My refurb displays similar behavior. Sure, I could mess around with it and maybe get it to work, but why bother? It should work already. Back it goes.

A friend got a T2 and I helped him convert and load some books on and immediately hit a bug where you could only add so many collections or something like that. Looked it up on the net. I just didn't expect this after the x50 range which worked really well out of the box. I'm not impressed with the firmware of the T range.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #153
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I just didn't expect this after the x50 range which worked really well out of the box. I'm not impressed with the firmware of the T range.
I can just share my experience with the PRS 650, PRS T1 and PRS T2. And i'am afraid it's not the same as you. I can not join the praise for the PRS 650. IMHO the PRS 650 is as flaky as the PRS-T1 oder PRS T2. Maybe there is some kind of nostalgia, that lead people to praise the PRS 650/PRS 350.

Last edited by samy2; 09-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #154
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
In addition to Matt's comments above, I would think that a clip on light would still work with the standard cover of the new T3s. When you have the cover open and folded back you should be able to clip on the light to either the cover or the reader itself, depending on the clip. Admittedly, it looks like your stuck with the standard Sony cover--unless someone decides to develop a cover that snaps on like the Sony cover.
True, I hadn't thought of that. But it's not ideal. Normally I clip a light on the back. If I have to clip it on the front then I have to fold it round. Do-able, for sure, but not ideal.

And the thing about the no-3rd-party cases is true. I doubt anyone's gonna go to the trouble of making a special case for this, and if they do, it's gonna be expensive.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #155
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
I can just share my experience with the PRS 650, PRS T1 and PRS T2. And i'am afraid it's not the same as you. I can not join the praise for the PRS 650. IMHO the PRS 650 is as flaky as the PRS-T1 oder PRS T2. Maybe there is some kind of nostalgia, that lead people to praise the PRS 650/PRS 350.
I respectfully disagree. The 650 firmware was far more robust than the T1 firmware. While your experiences have been good with the T1 firmware, many uses have had problems, as evidenced by the threads I cited. Sadly I have shared their problems pretty much exactly. I doubt it's isolated coincidence.

Last edited by Rizla; 09-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #156
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I will wait and see what more folks think as they get the reader in hand, but I will probably get one when it goes on sale at some point. My Kobo Aura HD is great for just reading, but HORRID and UNRELIABLE for proofreading purposes!

A Sony with higher resolution and the usual good highlighting and note taking is good enough for me. Besides, I actually prefer a lighted cover for reading in complete darkness.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #157
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I respectfully disagree. The 650 firmware was far more robust than the T1 firmware. While your experiences have been good with the T1 firmware, many uses have had problems, as evidenced by the threads I cited. Sadly I have shared their problems pretty much exactly. I doubt it's isolated coincidence.
I had zero problems with 650 and 350 and even 600. I read about 500 books between them. The T1 I have occasional problems, battery discharge, application failure and slowdown when deleting from device, the whirring arrows thing that goes on until the battery dies, occasional freezing and double page turns using the buttons. Still they fade into insignificance when comparing to a few newer mainstream device problems.

IMO Sony's only competitor in the mainstream reader market for robust software are earlier versions of Sony Software. Of course I will be happy to see something better, but not holding my breath.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote