Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
calibre 0.9.0: conversion from pdf to mobi seems to be stuck?

I started a conversion from pdf to mobi, and it seems to be stuck. the running time so far is over 77 minutes. It has been at 1% the entire time, and still claims to be "converting input to html". Last night, an attempt at this conversion ran for about 2.5 hours before I stopped it, so when I restarted it today, I turned on the debugging output. I have the input folder, and it has numerous files in it, but over the past 20 minutes, *nothing* in the input folder has changed. Even looking at file-sizes (in bytes), I'm not seeing differences.

Aside from the index.html file and the metadata.opf, all other files in the temp directory are either png or jpg. There aren't any other html files. But, the index.html file is 7.8 MB, so I guess it's putting everything in there. The png/jpg files are all images from the original pdf, so those shouldn't be causing a problem.

I'm not sure if this could be related, but the source pdf is in chinese. The input files seem to be handling that just fine, though, and I'm seeing the chinese characters there, so I don't think that's where the issue is.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.0. Not sure if I should just cancel the conversion again or if I should give it more time. It just seems like it's taking a lot longer than conversions have taken in the past.

Since it appears that the creation of the html files seems to be complete, and just not recognized as so, would it make sense to try to cancel the conversion job, then try to use the debug folder for a conversion from html to mobi?
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
run till it crashes or gets done. This could be 24+ hours

Size does Not relate to Time for Calibre conversions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Yipes! 24 hours, really? My poor laptops fan was going like crazy, and the block on the charger was actually hot to the touch, so I killed it, but i will try again if I can't find a better option.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
Since it appears that the creation of the html files seems to be complete, and just not recognized as so, would it make sense to try to cancel the conversion job, then try to use the debug folder for a conversion from html to mobi?
It's worth a try.

Also if you enabled any extra features such as heuristics try disabling those just to see if it changes anything.

Chinese may be part of the issue; if Calibre gets stuck on 100% CPU usage you might just have to add a debug message here and there to find out which function it got stuck in. Maybe it's looking for spaces between words or something.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
Yipes! 24 hours, really? My poor laptops fan was going like crazy, and the block on the charger was actually hot to the touch, so I killed it, but i will try again if I can't find a better option.
Set your laptop on a (clean) metal Cake cooling rack. the metal wicks some heat away and lets lots of air in.
Set The power brick on the thin edge so the 2 Big sides are vertical. The do run hot to the touch. but you should be able to touch one that is not getting too hot (over 80C)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
TuxGirl
Groupie

ended up noticing that the index.html file was not actually correct, and it looks like the format of the pdf file isn't going to play nicely with conversion after all (apparently a couple pages in, it switched to vertical mode instead of going across from left to right), so I'm going to give up for now... I know of a website that has the text formatted left-to-right for the entire thing, it just has a lot of stuff around the text i want, so I was avoiding using it, since I didn't want to have to strip everything...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the website is formatted consistently, you can probably filter the unwanted parts out.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote