Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Travelling with an iPad

My wife and I are going on a trip to Europe from Australia next month to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and her 70th birthday, and I am thinking of taking my iPad2 which has wi-fi but not 3G.

Has anyone else done something like this? I'm particularly interested to know whether I will be able to use the internet in any hotels or other places which offer free wi-fi.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Yes most definitely. I live in Spain and have travelled all over Europe doing exactly that.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I think there are apps and websites that help you locate free wifi access close to where you are. I haven't tried them though so I don't know how reliable they are. Many hotels everywhere have free wifi access. I try to check that when booking, although it's never foolproof, sometimes your room is too far from the hotspot or it just doesn't work. But in big cities many cafes and restaurants have free wifi. In Paris you can get wifi at McDonald's and many other places.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You won't have any problems, Alex. I've used my iPad all over Europe. It's generally pretty easy to find WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree with everyone else. It won't be a problem at all. Here in the Netherlands there's also lots of free wifi-spots. Have a great trip
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all, that's most helpful.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've used Free Wifi Finder in the past, with some success. IIRC it lists known free spots where you happen to be, as well as paid ones. There's a paid version as well. Always good to have an app on board.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

McDonald's has free WiFi virtually everywhere in Europe. I certainly wouldn't recommend them for any other reason, but the WiFi can be useful there.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
McDonald's has free WiFi virtually everywhere in Europe. I certainly wouldn't recommend them for any other reason, but the WiFi can be useful there.
I enjoy their Caramel Frappe while browsing in Mikky D's in the USA.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks for the suggestions, though I'm afraid I agree with Harry - so far as the food is concerned
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think all mcdonald resto got free wifi..
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
I think all mcdonald resto got free wifi..
Not all. There's at least one of the ones around me that doesn't have it.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not all. There's at least one of the ones around me that doesn't have it.

too bad! in my place, all mcdonalds got wifi though i can't always connect
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
jennysimpson
jennysimpson began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Yup, you can definitely use the ipad on places with free wifi usually fast food chains, starbucks and restaurants offers free wifi spot these days. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary and advance happy birthday to your wife.
jennysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennysimpson View Post
Yup, you can definitely use the ipad on places with free wifi usually fast food chains, starbucks and restaurants offers free wifi spot these days. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary and advance happy birthday to your wife.
Thank you, Jenny, and welcome to the forums.