Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Kobo Vox chargers on Ebay

There are several devices on eBay which state they will charge Kobo Voxs. Search on Kobo Vox Charger.

Note that many of the devices are for a cigarette lighter adapter which, unless you have the exact USB cable and/or resistor/whatever in place won't work. (Indeed one of them states 1000 mAh which, as we know, is insufficient. Previous sentence is wrong.) So these are quite misleading.

Two are the AC adapter type with permanently attached cable. One of which is 1000 mAmps and the Vox likes 2000 mAmps so I'd suggest the only one that states 2A or 2100mah. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5V-2A-High-Po...item43af643505 Note that eBay states they have sold 90 of them so they must work or there would've been returns. (Last sentence added.)

A third is the AC adapter with a USB port and an extra cable. I'd prefer that one as that device can be use for more than just devices with a micro USB end. However that device description is slightly ambiguous on whether it will charge the Vox so I've asked a clarifying question of the vendor.

Note that I have yet to try these so they may not work. Don't blame me, etc, etc.

Edits have been marked with explanations in brackets.

Last edited by TonyToews; 08-01-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Here is a thread about the Vox's proprietary USB pinout that distinguishes it from standard Micro B connectors. If this eBay charger does not display proper charging information on the status bar, then you'll have to modify the cable.

I see that the Voxes currently being sold have a different, probably cheaper, charger than the originals, so they were likely sourced from a new supplier. I expect once the design went out for tenders, some manufacturers would have come up with their own chargers.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I was doing some searches today on RYO USB cables and found this (among others).

To my eyes it looks like all that is needed is a USB OTG cable for the recharger function to work.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

If that's all it is, you can buy a USB OTG cable from http://www.focalprice.com/ for $1.69, free shipping.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Here is a thread about the Vox's proprietary USB pinout that distinguishes it from standard Micro B connectors.
Thanks for that link. Very interesting.

In light of that I won't purchase the separate charger and cable I was thinking of purchasing as that means that cable has to have the various pins linked together which would cause problems if I used that cable elsewhere.

So likely the only real alternative that would work is the charger I referenced which has the cable and micro USB end coming right out of the charger.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
If that's all it is, you can buy a USB OTG cable from http://www.focalprice.com/ for $1.69, free shipping.
Trouble is the USB A end is the wrong gender.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post

In light of that I won't purchase the separate charger and cable I was thinking of purchasing as that means that cable has to have the various pins linked together which would cause problems if I used that cable elsewhere.
The pin that's linked on the micro B plug is one that's otherwise not used and the standard USB connector only has 4 pins. I know someone using a Vox charger for their Blackberry with no problems.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist

Anyway, I just purchased the eBay charger linked earlier in this thread and will report how it works when I get it. I have my charger in the bedroom and hate having to go get it when the battery runs down while reading in the living room. For that price, it's a no brainer. I think I saw where Kobo is now selling the charger aftermarket, but can't find it now. I think from Kobo it was around $40 ???
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist

I just noticed the same vendor has a 2 amp Vox car charger available. Even Kobo doesn't offer one of those and most car chargers are low power anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Anyway, I just purchased the eBay charger linked earlier in this thread and will report how it works when I get it. I have my charger in the bedroom and hate having to go get it when the battery runs down while reading in the living room. For that price, it's a no brainer. I think I saw where Kobo is now selling the charger aftermarket, but can't find it now. I think from Kobo it was around $40 ???
Yes I recall seeing it too, it was $39.99 cad... Pretty expensive! The car charger at $8.99 is definitely a no-brainer as well!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
oldyellr
Evangelist

Well, I just received this charger I ordered and I'm delighted!

The cord is about 15" longer than my original Kobo charger and thicker, yet flexible, unlike the skinny zipcord on the original that the dog or cat liked to chew. My Kobo one has detachable prongs, but current Kobo ones don't. Also, the current Kobo USB connector does not plug in flush, so it seems like it's not fully plugged in, but this one does.

And, yes, it does work with the Vox battery indicator. Definitely a good value for $12 including shipping.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
oldyellr
Evangelist

Oops, I just discovered the Vox AC charger from yourcharger does have detachable prongs, just a different style than those on the original Vox charger. I see that this vendor has other travel chargers complete with an assortment of foreign AC plug adaptors, so if you wanted to venture overseas, you could search around on the site and find another charger that has all the adaptors. I suppose the Vox charger doesn't include them because it has the Vox USB wiring instead.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

All my electronic devices that I travel with can take 50-60 Hz and 110 to 240 VAC. I've checked. So if I travel over seas I'm going to take a surge protector with me, which I always do anyhow, and buy an adapter for the surge protector.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:

The cord is about 15" longer than my original Kobo charger and thicker, yet flexible, unlike the skinny zipcord on the original that the dog or cat liked to chew. My Kobo one has detachable prongs, but current Kobo ones don't. Also, the current Kobo USB connector does not plug in flush, so it seems like it's not fully plugged in, but this one does.

And, yes, it does work with the Vox battery indicator. Definitely a good value for $12 including shipping.
Aside from not charging via USB (which sometimes becomes an pain while traveling in planes that don't offer any other power source other than USB) my biggest complaint with charging my Vox is that the cord is never long enough. It is impossible for me to charge and read from the outlet closest to the bed or my favorite reading chair without the use of an extension cord. This cord may be worth the $12 for the extra 15" of length.

After using this cord do you find that it charges on par with the original charging cord that comes with the Vox?
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:

Likewise. And the Vox charge indicator is green as my Vox was already fully charged.