Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
p2n33
p2n33 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Printing Problem - Unable to resolve with CSS moldifications

Hello,

This isn't a Library Management problem, but I noticed that CSS modifications are in this forum, and that relates to my issue.

Big printing problem. My Windows PC global window text (set by right-click on desktop, display properties, appearance, advanced) is set to a dark tan because I don't like white glare. Most unfortunately, when I print from Calibre's Ebook Viewer it uses that dark tan color as the printer background, resulting in huge toner loss and an unreadable page. This is strange as the appearance of a book, in Calibre's Ebook Viewer, without CSS modification, is white. So I thought that if I apply a CSS modification in the E-Book Viewer (preferences, User Stylesheet), that would solve the problem. I went ahead and did that with a kindly offered sample from the CSS thread:

body {color:rgb(0,0,0);
background-color:rgb(228,226,224);
text-align:justify;
line-spacing:1.8;
margin-top:0px;
margin-bottom:4px;
margin-right:50px;
margin-left:50px;
text-indent:3em;}
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
{color:black;
text-align:center;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:bold;}

That made the background appearance a pleasing light tan. However, when I go to print in the Ebook Viewer, the page is now all white and no text shows -- that is, a blank sheet!

For what it's worth, Calibre is the only application installed on my computer (out of many dozens) that latches onto my global window text color to use as the background color of a printed page. All other apps properly use white. I can work around this by using the Firefox epub reader addon, which prints perfectly, but otherwise it's very primitive. I want to solve this because Calibre is such a sophisticated app -- I love it -- but this printing problem is very big. Any workaround suggestions -- CSS modification or anything else -- would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by p2n33; 05-15-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: extraneous word
p2n33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I'd like to bump this question, as I have a similar problem when I try to print from the viewer to a PDF file (using two different PDF drivers). In both cases I get white-on-white printing (well, blank pages, to be precise).

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Probably not doing anything wrong. You may be expecting more of the calibre viewer than it was designed to do. Pretty sure it will have a white background as it's output.

Printing to a pdf output is not the best way to get a professional looking pdf. Mostly handy for quick and dirty photocopy quality stuff. (like a bank statement)

Lot of printing utilities so I am sure you can find one to do what you want if it can be done by just printing to pdf.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
I'd like to bump this question, as I have a similar problem when I try to print from the viewer to a PDF file (using two different PDF drivers). In both cases I get white-on-white printing (well, blank pages, to be precise).

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?
If you want a pdf version of your book convert it to pdf using the Library GUI. You might also want to change the page setup for that conversion to Tablet.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, I understand. I just wanted to really create a PDF file (with margins and such), so that I can print it later. I thought the best way of doing this is to use a (virtual) printer driver for which I can specify these things.

Thanks anyway. Cheers, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote