Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
DX Folder Breakthrough!

Okay, the question is: are we ever going to get one?

As the DX slowly spreads its wings around the globe, more users will no doubt suffer folderless misery, not to mention the anguish of poor PDF navigation.

Let's please keep the issue alive.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are numerous devices available which do have folder support. Presumably, those people for whom this is an important issue will buy one of those, and not a Kindle DX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Well, of course that's not entirely true. Decisions are seldom based on one feature. The world doesn't simply divide into folder wanters and non-folder wanters. Many of us like the DX but would be much happier if they added a basic feature like folder functionality.

In an ideal world, good companies listen to their customers. A firmware release is not inconceivable.

FOLDERS! FOLDERS! FOLDERS! Lets have ya!
:-)

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 10-17-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Unfortunately without folders I can't use my Kindle DX as much as I could otherwise. I would like to have a folder named "work" for example (maybe password protected), different folders for classics, english books, other languages, a folder for my girlfriend. As it is now, I keep only a few titles in all that 3.3 Gb space...
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I know a lot of people really like folders and I think how we use our devices is very personal, but what about searches? Once indexed the search function works really well on the kindle. I have a few hundred books, but I'm typically only reading a handful at the same time which means the most recent read list works well.

Is this mainly an academic issue where you might have many papers/reference documents active at any one time? Not trying to be confrontational just one of those issues that's not a big deal for me, but it is for others and I'm trying to understand it better.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
No, it's not just academic. I rarely have a problem finding a particular book, but often I want to look through my books. But maybe only fiction... well, I don't want to go through ten pages of books (especially with slow page turns) to find 7 fiction books in all that.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I know a lot of people really like folders and I think how we use our devices is very personal, but what about searches? Once indexed the search function works really well on the kindle. I have a few hundred books, but I'm typically only reading a handful at the same time which means the most recent read list works well.

Is this mainly an academic issue where you might have many papers/reference documents active at any one time? Not trying to be confrontational just one of those issues that's not a big deal for me, but it is for others and I'm trying to understand it better.
I thought it wasn't possible to search across multiple pdfs in the Kindle DX? Has that changed? If so, huzzah! If not, and you have fifty articles on various issues having to do with RNA Polymerase, you're going to have a fun time finding the five on crystal structures of murine RNA Polymerase. If you could stick those five in a separate folder, that would help. It wouldn't be as good as the search function, but it would be better than nothing.

You can search across .azw documents in the DX (at least since you can do that in the K2 I'd be very surprised if you couldn't in the DX) so search could somewhat substitute for folders for those documents. But even for those I don't know that you can search on, for instance, read versus unread. Or fantasy versus historical.

I sure wish I had folders on my K2 and if I had a DX I'd want them there too.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Well, there is a work-around on non-DRM books if you use Calibre.

Give your books a tag, such as "work" in Calibre. Then tell Calibre to convert (reconvert) the books to mobi format and to "Add metatags" to the book. For example: work, tag2, unread

You will end up with a line something like this (I don't remember the exact format): ttwork tttag2 ttunread

As a result a search for ttwork, or tttag2 or ttunread will find this book.

I had asked KovidGoyal to add the tt delimiter to each tag to make searching more accurate. The issue is that if you search for "work" you would find a lot of books that have the word work in them. Prepending the "tt" to a tag creates a unique 'word' that won't be confused with real words in the book.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
What a misleading title. Thanks for nothing.Pat yourself on the back for fooling me.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Lol agreed, stop practicing your marketing gimmicks here.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
jessezhao
JesseZhao
jessezhao began at the beginning.

Device: 218A
kindle dx now opensource,mybe we can develop add this function to originally application.
jessezhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic really should be changed as it makes one think the DX now has folder support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessezhao View Post
kindle dx now opensource,mybe we can develop add this function to originally application.
Really? I know that the DX/Kindle is built on Linux and Amazon has always released the Linux-related modules they had to make publicly available. This has led to many to think its open source, but the actual Kindle application has not been open source. Has this changed?

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
jessezhao
JesseZhao
jessezhao began at the beginning.

Device: 218A
in china QT Embedded ported on Kindle DX.
the next i want to develop some file browser use qt gui sdk,and maybe we can port some well pdf reader on kindle dx
jessezhao is offline   Reply With Quote