Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-13-2022, 05:48 PM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Short aliases

May we have short aliases for searching fields like languages and formats?

Perhaps just 'l' or 'lang' for languages, and 'f' or 'fmt' for formats. This would be hyper comfy!
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
May we have short aliases for searching fields like languages and formats?

Perhaps just 'l' or 'lang' for languages, and 'f' or 'fmt' for formats. This would be hyper comfy!
Preferences > Search > Grouped Searches. While it's meant to combine multiple columns into one easy prefix, I also use it for shorthand prefixes.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2022, 12:09 AM   #3
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Preferences > Search > Grouped Searches. While it's meant to combine multiple columns into one easy prefix, I also use it for shorthand prefixes.
ahhh, that's awesome!!

just created my shorthand "aliases" for languages, formats and authors ('l', 'f' and 'a')

I thought I'd need to add the # symbol for searches, but it's not necessary!

Old 11-15-2022, 12:18 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I'd name it something like "Search Alias" in order to make it more obvious this was an option.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:41 AM   #5
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Personally, I'd name it something like "Search Alias" in order to make it more obvious this was an option.
Being a long time Calibre user, I'm fine with the fact that I keep discovering and rediscovering features all the time... All in all it's fun, but I didn't see that one coming, really. At one point, I even had custom columns for languages and formats, just to obtain the shorthand lookup names, lol.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 11-15-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Advert
Old 11-16-2022, 01:42 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I only somewhat-recently learned that Preferences > Searching > Similar Books allows you to change the criteria for them, including to user categories and grouped searches. Makes it a lot more useful
Old 01-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #7
Comfy.n

I did some tidying up today and came up with the following set of Search Aliases:

a - author (built-in column)
c - #current_status (custom column of text type, with a fixed set of values: Reading, (to) Reread, DNF, Read)
d - date (built-in column)
f - #formats (custom column using template {:'re(approximate_formats(), ',', ', ')'} )
fv - #fav (custom column yes/no for favorite titles, triggers a star emblem in cover grid)
i - identifiers (built-in column)
l - languages (built-in column)
lv - #last_viewed (custom column set by Job Spy plugin)
m - last_modified (built-in column)
p - publisher (built-in column)
pd - pubdate (built-in column)
r - rating (built-in column)
rr - #grrating (custom column from Goodreads plugin)
s - series (built-in column)
t - title (built-in column)
tg - tags (built-in column)

Very happy with this new setup.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 01-22-2023 at 07:41 AM.