Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Is anyone else NOT having problems with 1.6.1 on a laptop?
I think it will depend largely on the laptop manufacturer. I still think it's an intermittent issue based on certain wireless NIC drivers. K4PC 1.6.1 is dynamically linking OpenSSL dll's, which also happen to be packaged up with many Windows wireless NIC drivers. I suspect that the different dll's are confusing K4PC. I've run into the same issue with some other (*ahem*) software I've worked on. Hopefully, Amazon figures it out soon and releases an update.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post. If you uninstall your wireless NIC drivers and use a hardwired ethernet connection to test if 1.6.1 then works on your laptop, you'll be able to bitch to Amazon and tell them definitively that it's related to the wireless drivers on our laptop. No takers for testing yet?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #17
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Is anyone else NOT having problems with 1.6.1 on a laptop?

Carol
i'm not having problems with 1.6.1 on a laptop
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i'm not having problems with 1.6.1 on a laptop
I'm guessing that if you do a search for a file named libeay32.dll on your system, you'll find it in relatively few places (and maybe only inside the Kindle for PC program directory).

Those having the issues with 1.6.1 will find that it pops up in a few more places on their particular machines.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm guessing that if you do a search for a file named libeay32.dll on your system, you'll find it in relatively few places (and maybe only inside the Kindle for PC program directory).

Those having the issues with 1.6.1 will find that it pops up in a few more places on their particular machines.
Out of curiosity I just did a search for libeay32.dll and I don't have it on my laptop. Still don't know if I should chance 1.6.1. I'm on 1.6.0. What does 1.6.1 give me.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just bug fixes, I think. You have nothing to lose by trying to upgrade to 1.6.1; if it works, it works; if it doesn't, just reinstall 1.6.0.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just bug fixes, I think. You have nothing to lose by trying to upgrade to 1.6.1; if it works, it works; if it doesn't, just reinstall 1.6.0.
Wouldn't I have to uninstall and register?

Carol
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't have to. I installed 1.6.1 (or rather, it decided to do it itself, because I'd left the "automatically install upgrades" box checked). It didn't work. I uninstalled it, reinstalled 1.6.0 and it worked fine. I didn't have to re-register, and its "name" stayed the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I didn't have to. I installed 1.6.1 (or rather, it decided to do it itself, because I'd left the "automatically install upgrades" box checked). It didn't work. I uninstalled it, reinstalled 1.6.0 and it worked fine. I didn't have to re-register, and its "name" stayed the same.
Were all your books there or did you have to download them again.

Carol
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

They were all there; uninstalling the program doesn't touch the "My Kindle Content" folder.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
K4PC

I just answered this on another thread. I am having the same trouble with K4PC. I use Win7. It was working great, but a couple of days ago then, bam, it quit working. I have un & re-installed to no avail.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I just answered this on another thread. I am having the same trouble with K4PC. I use Win7. It was working great, but a couple of days ago then, bam, it quit working. I have un & re-installed to no avail.
Thanks Ed. I think I'm gonna stick with 1.6.0 for now. Out of curiosity, did you try and do a search for the file DD mentioned.

Carol
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #27
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
K4PC

I uninstalled K4PC and went to my Downloads folder and found the K4PC with the oldest date and re-installed it. This one works fine. I didn't see any difference, anyway. I think the new one has page numbers, but I always used the percentage.

The installer did ask me if I wanted to install a newer version, but I said to skip that version. Works great now.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I uninstalled the 1.6.1 version that I'd been updated to and installed an earlier version. After I'd opened and then closed it I tried opening it again and was re-updated to the version that doesn't work. I'm forced to wonder what Amazon is playing at when they come up with a version that doesn't work at all. It has me more than a little annoyed at the present time. And I'm not even sure who to complain to at Amazon about the problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I uninstalled the 1.6.1 version that I'd been updated to and installed an earlier version. After I'd opened and then closed it I tried opening it again and was re-updated to the version that doesn't work.
You need to uncheck the "automatically install updates" option.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
You need to uncheck the "automatically install updates" option.
Thanks for the heads up Harry. Needless to say it will be a while before I trust an update on the Kindle for PC again. Why Amazon doesn't keep an archive of older Kindle for PC apps onsite I don't know. It would make things a lot more simple to correct when things like this happen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote