Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Beckford, William: The History of the Caliph Vathek. v1. 21 May 07

I didn't like the cover I had on this. This new one shows up MUCH better on the Reader. I also added a CONTENTS page, even though this short novel only has an "Introduction" and one chapter heading, which is the actual title of the novel.

A great oriental and gothic tale. Lin Carter republished this in his Ballantine Adult Fantasy series. A great read and great fun.

Here's what one reviewer wrote:

"William Beckford was an eccentric millionaire; his short novel Vathek is an eccentric novel. It is apparently a morality tale based on some of the stories in the Arabian Nights. It tells the story of Vathek, an imaginary descendant and successor of Caliph Haroun al Raschid. He has two passions: for decadent luxury (vast feasts, beautiful concubines) and arcane knowledge. When an evil looking Indian magician visits his court, his desire for knowldge becomes even greater when he sees something of the magical power of this man."

Hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The History of the Caliph Vathek.v2.lrf (184.3 KB, 1130 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: V2 has a better cover and a CONTENTS page - Added Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Better cover - it shows up better - and a Contents page

I actually didn't forget the Contents page, but thought it would be ok without one, due to the nature of this book.

As you can see, by the posting-time, I couldn't sleep without having a Contents page.

Don
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thank you - Vathek is a favourite of mine.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
im reading it now.did you dislike the one with the oriental leaning back in a rather small image?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
im reading it now.did you dislike the one with the oriental leaning back in a rather small image?
Hi, Lobolover:

I couldn't remember why I removed the drawing, until I went back to my LRF file and that helped jog my memory.

I LOVE the drawing, but I remember now that it appeared too transparent on the Sony. I think it's because the lines of the drawing are so thin that the drawing doesn't show up that well.

Don
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
the nonsuch classics cover you mean?

anyway,finished it yesterday.And I can see the description of Istrakhan having influenced Sarkomand and lots of other things in Lovecraft's "the dream quest of unknown kadath".

stil,of all characters,I REALY didnt think Nouronihar deserved eternal suffering and damnation.I mean,WHAT did she do?She became the wife of the CALIPH.SO?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote