Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #1
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
"Condensing" ("stacking"?) series display in the Library?

I've been searching for a bit, but I guess I'm not using the right terms or correct keywords to find what I'm after. My apologies if this is something I'm not seeing because of poor search kung fu!!

In my Apple Books (iPad Pro, iOS 15,6) library, I have a trilogy of books (I think this one was purchased through the apple bookstore) that show as a "stack" of the covers.

(attachment1:library-01.png)

When I tap the "stack" it opens up and I see the books laid out with "Book 1" and "Book 2" and such.

(attachment2:library-02.png)

I have other books (iirc, the books below were pruchased from ebooks.com) that are themselves part of various series and yet they are not "stacked" like this.

(attachment3:library-03.png)

I have no problem editing the metadata using Sigil or other similar programs, updating epub2 to epub3, and so on, but I can't seem to figure out what to edit/add/etc to achieve the desired result (which is already there for a few series in my library).

Any guidance on how to replicate this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library-01.png
Views:	447
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	195336   Click image for larger version

Name:	library-02.png
Views:	453
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	195337   Click image for larger version

Name:	library-03.png
Views:	448
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	195338  

Last edited by CubGeek; 07-26-2022 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
CubGeek
Connoisseur

duplicate
Old 08-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Okay, after much more searching, I seem to have found a way that it was possible (well, at least it *was*, 7 years ago). However, it's pretty convoluted, required using a Mac, and involved changing the Books.plist file in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books for the books you want to have in a series, and also you have to add rows in the BKSeries-*.sqlite database on ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iBooksX/Data/Documents/BKSeriesDatabase for them and the series.

So... hmmm... This one may be a pass.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, iBooks/Books is a pass.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #5
CubGeek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, iBooks/Books is a pass.
And that's perfectly okay, too. Luckily there seems to be lots of good options for folks to choose from.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My library shows next book in series and a "buy" button. Really annoys me. I don't want my library to look like a book store.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote