Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
Tialis - The Kindle refurb is only $139.99, $10 cheaper than the nook.
or just spend only $10 more and get a brand new nook
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Well, if everything equal, I see no reason to buy a refurb to save only $10. Unfortunately, you need to check out the ebook stores behind each, and based my random compare, it seems amazon has most selection and cheapest ebooks, followed by Sony, and B&N's ebooks are generally more expensive; depending on how many ebooks you plan to buy, that may be a factor especially books bought on amazon cannot be converted to something readable on the nook. I have tons of Chinese classics and public domain English titles that can last me for a decade at least, so I don't buy ebooks that often (maybe a dozen at most each year), so the price difference between the ebook stores is not a big factor for me and I really like the screen contrast of the nook (I don't really like the battery draining touch screen but I guess it's a tradeoff that I can bear for a better e-ink screen), and the nook supports all my local library ebooks in the epub format, that's why I chose the nook.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the selection of BN's ebooks have grown tremoundoulsy in the past few months. besides the listing of the amount of titles by amazon are extremely padded. Amazon will count each copy of one title to include in the overall number of titles given you the perception they have many more titles. Now yes everyone does this but Amazon seems to take to it different level. They count Dracular (one title) but they countabout 60 times because of all it's copies. BN I think stops at something 15 not sure about Sony. But you are talking about 40 more listings they include for their overall count but its still only one title.

Prices between the two have leveled. Back in Nov. Dec of 09 sure Amazon had everyone beat but between BN matching and then Apple coming in to strke their deal with publishers. Amazon's price advantage is no longer.

Last edited by boswd; 06-25-2010 at 11:23 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Tialis
Tialis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Finally i had to buy the kindle... in my country (spain) is not possible to buy the kindle online.. so in the end i bought the kindle wifi!

Thank you all for all your help!
Tialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
strawfordt
strawfordt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
$70 Refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Also, if you call Amazon, they will give you a seventy dollar refund on the price difference for the Kindle you bought last week.
Quite surprised to hear about the refund. I bought the Kindle 2 on June 11th. Can I get a $70 refund? I live in Canada.

Do you just call and ask?
strawfordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawfordt View Post
Quite surprised to hear about the refund. I bought the Kindle 2 on June 11th. Can I get a $70 refund? I live in Canada.

Do you just call and ask?
http://dealiciousmom.com/2010/06/kin...189-on-amazon/

You may want to read this
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #22
Jenny1965
Jenny1965
Jenny1965 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I am brand new and appreciate all the info about the Kindle and the Nook. You have sold me on the Nook with the epub. Thanks
Jenny1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
Jenny1965
Jenny1965

Another question. Why are some people buying 2 of the same product. I have read where someone will own a Kindle then buy the Sony also. Is there a reason why?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
Jenny1965
Jenny1965

Free ereader sites

Does anyone know of any good sites which allows you to download free ebooks?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #25
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1965 View Post
Another question. Why are some people buying 2 of the same product. I have read where someone will own a Kindle then buy the Sony also. Is there a reason why?
Do consumers have to have a reason why? Some people buy things because they can afford them and want to try them out and end up liking them. Some might buy something basic and them later get something more advanced but keep old faithful. Some might buy different sizes for different reasons. There is no one answer, and it doesn't really matter, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1965 View Post
Does anyone know of any good sites which allows you to download free ebooks?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Do consumers have to have a reason why? Some people buy things because they can afford them and want to try them out and end up liking them. Some might buy something basic and them later get something more advanced but keep old faithful. Some might buy different sizes for different reasons. There is no one answer, and it doesn't really matter, anyway.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

Yeah, I tend to agree with that.

If you can afford to buy a bunch of diffferent devices, it's pretty easy to just get them all and see which one you like best. People do this all the time with other things as well like trying out different foods, girlfriends, etc.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #27
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Let me ask my wife if I can purchase different girls just to see. Wish me luck!
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
We'll miss you....
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #29
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I believe an issue you want to consider is "do you buy most of your books new?".

If you borrow a lot from the library (and your library has a good eBook selection) then Nook is a better choice. For mainly purchased books, magazines, and newspapers, I think Kindle is a better choice.

I think the Kindle is well implemented and tied to the best eBook store. With the updated firmware it does PDF as good as any which have the same screen real estate ( portrait/landscape & zoom/pan). Kindle's big problem is that it does not play well with other DRM sources of content.

IF Amazon offered a service that allowed us to easily read public library books from Overdrive.com, then Kindle would be fantastic. Imagine a button on your Overdrive checkout "Send to my Kindle". And Amazon format shifted, re-encrypted with the same expiration, and delivered via WhisperNet to the Kindle.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #30
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post

Make sure you explain that people do it all the time with eReaders.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, nook