Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobarefeet View Post
Okay, I tried again, created library folder. Still got the bad database using my PC with Vista.
You will get that message again and again unless you start Calibre from the command line with the command that Kovid gave you. Kovid's command is required to tell Calibre about the new Library folder. Until you use that command, Calibre will try to go to the old (broken) folder. If you want to use your Vista machine, let us know and we'll help you use the command line. Once you have started it once with Kovid's command, you'll be able to start it normally.

If you're happy using it on the laptop, there's no need to worry about this.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
tobarefeet
tobarefeet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Calibre is working like a charm on my Windows 7 laptop. Converting my books in batch and sending to Kindle in batch. Who can ask for more.
Bravo to Calibre.
tobarefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #18
Leigh_aus
Leigh_aus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have the same problem!

I'm also trying to get Calibre to work and am failing miserably! No matter what I do, I seem to get the "bad database location" when asked to choose a location for the library. I've tried some of the tips given, but with no success.

I'm not too great with computers, so I could be doing something pretty basic wrong. I tried to start it from the command prompt, but it tells me that calibre is not recognised as an internal or external command, operatable program or batch file.

Would so appreciate any help that can be given. I really want to use calibre, but am presently tearing my hair out!

Last edited by Leigh_aus; 05-22-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Leigh_aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #19
jlweb
jlweb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had similar problems on my Dell Studio XPS laptop; after several clean installs/uninstalls, I tried it on my desktop PC. Both run Windows 7, but the essential difference (I believe) - the Dell is 64-bit, my desktop 32-bit. Also, the PC is running English Windows, the Dell is German.

Has anyone else got it running on 64-bit Windows 7?
jlweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlweb View Post
Has anyone else got it running on 64-bit Windows 7?
yes - this was the 1st PC I installed to - never had any problems.
I have UAC disabled-so maybe UAC is a factor.

I then installed a backup copy on a Vista 32 bit PC ( also with UAC disabled) - no issues there either.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe there is a problem if the path to the database contains any characters outside the standard ASCII character set. I winder if this was the issue on the Dell as you said it was running a German version of Windows?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #22
jlweb
jlweb began at the beginning.

I haven't tried disabling UAC on my laptop - but UAC is enabled on my desktop PC, so I don't think that's the issue (unless there's a bug/issue with UAC in conjunction with 64-bit). The path to the library doesn't have any non-ASCII characters (also tried a clean install with c:\library). I suppose it could be the McAfee AV software the Dell came with (I'm going to uninstall that as soon as it expires in a couple of months). But since I got it running on my 32-bit Win 7 PC I'm a happy camper, this is primarily a matter of intellectual curiosity now. I also got the Linux version running on an OpenSuSE 11.2 desktop without any difficulties whatsoever.
jlweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #23
woodworm
woodworm began at the beginning.

I'm still getting this problem and I have tried all the above!

Win 7 ultimate with Microsoft Security Essentials
- disabled UAC
- disabled MSE
- created a folder called c:\calibre and given it full control for all
- started calibre from a command prompt window as administrator and tried the --with-library option
The debug output shows

Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 215, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 215, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file
Catastrophic failure initializing GUI, bailing out...
Error in sys.excepthook:

Original exception was: <no more output, just a C:\... prompt>

Every time the GUI shows a message with the u'c:\calibre format for the path. Somebody says that u' just means Unicode, but it looks like the seat of the problem to me!
woodworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
woodworm
woodworm began at the beginning.

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!

Whilst I was writing this post Calibre quietly opened up in the background and sat there mocking me. And I have no idea what it was that fixed it!

Oh well........
woodworm is offline   Reply With Quote