Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Possible to use outside of USA?

I am planning to buy a reader, and currently Irex 1000 is at the top of my list.

I have 3 questions:
1. Is it possible to use this reader outside the US? I read somewhere that some Irex readers require you to register your device using a valid USA address, is this correct or applicable to the 1000S?
2. How well is the .pdf support?
3. How well is the .chm support? Would it be wise to convert the chm to pdf if the support is weak?

Thanks!
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You don't need to do anything to use the DR1000, it works in any country. You can register on the irex website, but quite frankly I don't know why you need to. In theory it just allows irex to advise you of updates.

pdf support is excellent, or better than others I have tried largely due to the size of the display and you can write all over them

It doesn't support chm natively. I don't know if fbreader does, but if it does, fbreader has been ported to the DR1000 and so it would be able to read them.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
Fbreader is not the best choise for chm reading. It reads just little chm files
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
1. Is it possible to use this reader outside the US? I read somewhere that some Irex readers require you to register your device using a valid USA address, is this correct or applicable to the 1000S?
I think you're getting confused with the new DR800 that is coming out soon. The DR800 is being launched in the US only, for now. Both the DR1000 and older iLiad are international.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Thanks for the replies guys I will most likely end up going for 1000S I think.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
CHM files are nearly impossible to use it. as far as i've checked , FBReader views one megabyte or less. the only valid option is you if you convert if to PDFs. in that case you have a huge file , all essentially JPGs.
anyway , if you find a way around it , please let me know.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
CHM files are nearly impossible to use it. as far as i've checked , FBReader views one megabyte or less. the only valid option is you if you convert if to PDFs. in that case you have a huge file , all essentially JPGs.
anyway , if you find a way around it , please let me know.
I have several CHM files that are bigger then 1MB (one even more then 20MB) which can be read on the DR, so the limitation is not the size, maybe something in the content of the file.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote