Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you donate U$S 10 to have a better contentlister?
Yeah, of course! 35 79.55%
No way José 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Better contenlister: Would you donate U$S10 to developers?

MAKING THINGS HAPPEN:

The question is clear.

Would you donate U$S10 to a group of developers just to build a decent version of the contentlister? Please vote and we'll see how much we can collect to make this happen.

Last edited by Napoleon; 12-15-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: title too long
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
But of course. Moreover, I'd donate $50 to have the iLiad go to 2.6 kernel and implement stable Sleep function and longer battery life.

It's such a great screen, in search of better software.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
joelypolly
joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joelypolly has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iliad
After paying 900 AUD for the reader and enjoying it for almost half a year I am reluctant pay a bit more to get it working better. However, as this is a community effort so I will contribute. It is unfortunate that it has come down to this as this should be the responsibility of the iRex team to improve a product they are still selling.
joelypolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I am also disappointed at iRex shifting all its R&D force to new product. Hope it's a tempory strategy, and iRex will re-focus on removing iLiad's bugs soon.
As an amateur developer, iRex's releasing iLiad source code is quite good for me. I can do something fancy with my iLiad now. Although I am willing to share my resources, I do the coding for fun and for my own interests, not for general users's needs. So, I think community projects are more prone to developer-centered, not user-centered. Community projects alone will not make iLiad better selling in market.
Therefore, iRex should pay more attention to the needs of general users. After all, general users are the major customers, not developers. Releasing source code is a plus, but it's not fundamentally critical.
I am not complaining. In fact, I am quite satisfied with my iLiad (as long as it can survive two more years). I just want to say: If iRex hopes, by releasing source code, community projects will keep iLiad survive, that's impossible.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I absolutely agree, that it's really lame for iRex to drop development for the iLiad.

Since every other device on the market, most of them far cheaper, has good Power Management and can last forever (like my Sonys), iRex should do their best to make it available for the iLiad, if it is to compete.

I don't really understand their marketing strategy. They are dropping their 8" device, which to many is the perfect size for book-reading, and is the ONLY ONE available on the market, to focus on a 10" device, which in a few months will have several cheaper competitors, with likely better and more stable software. Go figure.

If it wasn't for the size, I probably wouldn't have bought an iRex product. If they do indeed stop development for the iLiad, I'd never touch another one of their products, and would steer others away from iRex.

Having said this, I do love the size. I've had enough time now to play with the 6" Sony and the iLiad, and the 8" screen makes all the difference to me. But the Sony feels much better made, and I believe it is.

To me, Power Management is certainly worth a $50 contribution, if it would give me instant On like with the Sony, and something close to the Sony's inexhaustible battery life.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited by Sonist; 12-24-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Although I hope that iRex will not withdraw its R&D force from iLiad, I think the hope is destined to fail. It seems that the hardware architecture of DR1000 is better than iLiad, so I guess that, in two years at most, when DR1000 series is stable, iRex will announce DR800 to replace iLiad. The only difference between DR800 and DR1000 is the size of screen. If I were the decision maker of iRex, I would make such decision, because it will maximize the results of R&D.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-25-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Although I hope that iRex will not withdraw its R&D force from iLiad,
They already have done.

To the original poster: what would this $10 contribution be used for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They already have done.
I knew that. The question is whether it's a temporary strategy or a final decision.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think they're highly unlikely to put any R&D effort back into the iLiad, having withdrawn it. Do you think it's likely to happen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
ericshliao
Guru

There must be some reasoning behind each decision option. Although I hope that it's a temporary strategy, but I guess iRex must be planning to maximize its R&D results, so announcement of DR800 to replace iLiad seems reasonable. iLiad can be regarded as an abandondaned product.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-25-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I absolutely agree, that it's really lame for iRex to drop development for the iLiad.
As a fellow iLiad user I agree that it sucks, but it does make some sense from iRex's point of view. They only have a very small development team, and it makes sense that they want to focus their resources on working on software updates for the new device. It was a nice move on their part to release the source code for the iLiad to the public, so that hopefully others can do some of the development that iRex itself doesn't have the resources to work on.

Quote:
Since every other device on the market, most of them far cheaper, has good Power Management and can last forever (like my Sonys), iRex should do their best to make it available for the iLiad, if it is to compete.
They originally wanted to do power management for the iLiad, but found out after looking into it more that it's basically impossible. There are some legitimate reasons for this that have been discussed elsewhere. At best, it would be extremely difficult. The open source community may come up with a solution for this, but I think it's fairly unlikely. There are some serious hurdles they'll need to overcome to get it working.

Quote:
I don't really understand their marketing strategy. They are dropping their 8" device, which to many is the perfect size for book-reading, and is the ONLY ONE available on the market, to focus on a 10" device, which in a few months will have several cheaper competitors, with likely better and more stable software. Go figure.
Technically, they're not dropping the iLiad. They are still selling and supporting it, they're just not actively developing new features for it. If the iLiad does everything you need "as is", then you can still purchase one and get the full warranty on it.

As far as competitors being better and more stable, we'll have to wait and see since their products don't exist yet. If they do turn out to be better, hopefully that'll push iRex to improve their DR1000 even more, which is a good thing.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
JamesT
JamesT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi Shaggy

I guess we can moan as much as we want about the Irex decision to stop development on the Iliad but it will not change what they did. I will certainly never buy an Irex product again.

The important thing now is will the source code release bring improvements from the development community any time soon?

I realise these things take time but I for one can feel my enthusiasm draining away.

Can the community developers publish a plan of something so we know what to look forward to?

JamesT
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
Can the community developers publish a plan of something so we know what to look forward to?
See here for a roadmap.

Work on the contentlister has already been done.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
JamesT
JamesT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Adam
Thanks for link to the roadmap that is exactly what I wished to see.
Good luck with your endeavours!
JamesT
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They already have done.

To the original poster: what would this $10 contribution be used for?
@HarryT:

Well, it was just a hypothetical question, with a two-fold objective:

a) See if anyone else (besides me) was bothered by this curse (the six-files-per-page thing) [which was recently and beautifully solved by hansel hansel], and
b) Show the developers out there (i'm not one) that people are really looking forward to a solution on this, even willing to donate a few bucks to have this solved.

I didn't think in any particular way to use $10 hypothetical contribution. I guess I was just thinking in the way the Ubuntu community develop mostly based on donations.

Hope that answers your question & thank you for voting!
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote