Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
idlebones
idlebones began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS 505 Returns - Are you being Charged?

I recently had cause to send a defective Sony PRS 505 device back for repairs. I live in Ireland, and followed the instructions on the Sony Website and sent it to an agent in Cork City. Several weeks later, the Agent called me to say that I needed to pay €79 Euro for "Security Reasons" to have the unit sent to Sony Uk, as they don't fix them in Ireland.

My device was under warranty, and I sent it back to the address specified by Sony, yet they have the cheek to charge me for it before it even reaches a Sony warehouse?!

Can anyone tell me off their exerience in the UK? Have you been charged in such a way? They also told me that if the Sony Engineers decide the unit was damaged by me, they will keep my €79!

Regards,

Owen
idlebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've moved this thread from reader software (because this is not a software problem) to the Sony Reader section. Hopefully, more Sony-owners will now see it.

Meanwhile, idlebones, how old is the 505? Is it still under warranty? And what sort of defect does it have?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I sent mine back for warranty repair 5 days before the warranty ran out in the US and I was charged $29. I also had to pay to ship it to them myself. I don't even remember what the $29 was for; I was just relieved they would fix it. They sent me a brand new PRS505 instead of fixing my original.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebones View Post
I recently had cause to send a defective Sony PRS 505 device back for repairs. I live in Ireland, and followed the instructions on the Sony Website and sent it to an agent in Cork City. Several weeks later, the Agent called me to say that I needed to pay €79 Euro for "Security Reasons" to have the unit sent to Sony Uk, as they don't fix them in Ireland.

My device was under warranty, and I sent it back to the address specified by Sony, yet they have the cheek to charge me for it before it even reaches a Sony warehouse?!

Can anyone tell me off their exerience in the UK? Have you been charged in such a way? They also told me that if the Sony Engineers decide the unit was damaged by me, they will keep my €79!

Regards,

Owen

See my post, "Yikes screen gone west". Troubleshooting

dont know how to link it here sorry

Mack 120
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack 120 View Post
See my post, "Yikes screen gone west". Troubleshooting
dont know how to link it here sorry

Mack 120
It's here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29470
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I recently returned a defective Sony reader I had received as a Christmas gift. I wasn't charged anything, but they apparently sent a refurbished unit in exchange. Considering my original unit was brand new, I was somewhat disappointed that the replacement unit was a refurb unit. However, to be honest, there is absolutely no sign of wear anywhere on the reader, and I would not have known it was a refurb at all except the inside box made it very clear, and there was also a small label on the plastic the reader was packed in.

But I guess it's better to have a refurbished unit that looks new and works perfectly than to have a new unit that was defective out of the box!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I recently returned a defective Sony reader I had received as a Christmas gift. I wasn't charged anything, but they apparently sent a refurbished unit in exchange. Considering my original unit was brand new, I was somewhat disappointed that the replacement unit was a refurb unit. However, to be honest, there is absolutely no sign of wear anywhere on the reader, and I would not have known it was a refurb at all except the inside box made it very clear, and there was also a small label on the plastic the reader was packed in.

But I guess it's better to have a refurbished unit that looks new and works perfectly than to have a new unit that was defective out of the box!

SteveK

That's strange. Maybe it was an accident? Well as long as you're happy
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lilac_Jive - I can't say I'm happy with it, but I can accept it. I will call the Sony Exchange Center to find out why I received a refurbished unit in exchange for a brand new defective unit, but at least I have a reader that works as it should. Given how new the refurbished reader looks, it's entirely possible that it was never actually used. Like mine, it may have been defective out of the box, or perhaps failed a random QC test at Sony. At any rate, I have a refurbished unit that looks new and works like new. So although I can't say I'm thrilled, I suppose it's "good enough".

Thanks.

SteveK
Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Lilac_Jive - I can't say I'm happy with it, but I can accept it. I will call the Sony Exchange Center to find out why I received a refurbished unit in exchange for a brand new defective unit, but at least I have a reader that works as it should. Given how new the refurbished reader looks, it's entirely possible that it was never actually used. Like mine, it may have been defective out of the box, or perhaps failed a random QC test at Sony. At any rate, I have a refurbished unit that looks new and works like new. So although I can't say I'm thrilled, I suppose it's "good enough".

Thanks.

SteveK
I would give them a buzz and just ask.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
SteveK
Addict

Lilac_Jive - I just got off the phone with them a moment ago. They indicated they are only authorized to send refurbished units in exchange for returned units. He did say he would try to see if he could get me a new unit and would email me a pre-paid shipping label if he was able to get a new unit.

Since my unit shows absolutely no sign of wear and frankly I would not have even known it was refurbished if it wasn't so prominently labeled as refurbished, I'm probably just going to keep my current unit. But I must admit I would have preferred a new unit just on principle.

SteveK
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Lilac_Jive - I just got off the phone with them a moment ago. They indicated they are only authorized to send refurbished units in exchange for returned units. He did say he would try to see if he could get me a new unit and would email me a pre-paid shipping label if he was able to get a new unit.

Since my unit shows absolutely no sign of wear and frankly I would not have even known it was refurbished if it wasn't so prominently labeled as refurbished, I'm probably just going to keep my current unit. But I must admit I would have preferred a new unit just on principle.

SteveK
I don't blame you. You paid for a new one, you get a new one. They are probably trying to save costs. My opinion, they should sell refurbed units on woot. They'd do well there.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't blame you. You paid for a new one, you get a new one. They are probably trying to save costs. My opinion, they should sell refurbed units on woot. They'd do well there.
I bet if you read the warranty that it says they will repair or replace at their option with a similar unit (or something like that). They are well within there rights to do this. Now, if there were obvious problems or blemishes with it, then I think there is a valid complaint.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
SteveK
Addict

Bob - You are absolutely correct. The warranty says a unit may be repaired with new or refurbished parts or replaced with a new or refurbished unit. Mine happened to be refurbished, but again I see no sign of wear and tear on the unit and it works perfectly (unlike the one I sent them).

The warranty also states that if they elect to replace a unit after the labor warranty expires (90 days) but before the parts warranty expires (1 year), they will apply a labor charge. So that's probably what some people have been charged for.

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 01-09-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Tags
sony, sony 505 experience