Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
How to downgrade JAILBROKEN 5.8.9.2 to factory initial.

Hi, I had upgraded to 5.8.9.2, and I wanted to downgrade back to 5.7.4 to test some more things. I did not want to flash over serial, so I found a change introduced in 5.8.9.2 that works.

Again, this only works if you are already jailbroken, and can SSH to your device, but it's any easy downgrade path, you are going to want to be in airplane mode because of step 4 and the note I put between 7 and 8.

1. enable usbnet
1. ssh to device
2. mntroot rw
3. touch /PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC
4. disable usbnet
5. plug in device and copy initial factory firmware from SW jailbreak thread.
6. eject
7. settings->update kindle

Now I am back on 5.7.4, but I have not reset my kindle, and I still have that
/PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC, also, now there is a new entry on my home screen called "Kindle Feedback" with a chat icon on it, I don't think it's a good Idea to click that.

I might be able to skip # 8-10, but no instructions talked about doing a reset on the factory firmware, and I didn't think it was a good idea.

8. update to 5.8.1
9. System menu reset
10. downgrade back to 5.7.4

Now I have done steps 1-4 of the main jailbreak thread, I can start over with actually jailbreaking again.

Main jailbreak thread for reference:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
still have that
/PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC, also, now there is a new entry on my home screen called "Kindle Feedback" with a chat icon on it, I don't think it's a good Idea to click that.
Why not?
Don't you think that the people at Lab126 aren't standing by to help us?

= = = =

Seriously, I have had that option control flag on my PW-3 forever and I have touched that "Chat with Lab126" thingy . . .
At least on customer firmware, that function does not work.

It **might** work on the factory-only firmware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Got info from PW3 5.9.2 user that even with PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC in the root the device does not accept initial factory 5.7.4 - menu Update remains grey.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Got info from PW3 5.9.2 user that even with PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC in the root the device does not accept initial factory 5.7.4 - menu Update remains grey.
Get them to try it again, and then dump messages right afterwards.
It should log the reason the update was removed.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

logs attached
Attached Files
File Type: rar logs.rar (157.7 KB, 307 views)
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Code:
171107:235457 OTAController[1989]: I UserstoreScannerImpl:scanFile:filname=update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin:Parsing update file
171107:235457 OTAController[1989]: E BundleValidator:validateBundle:SP01 header not found for FB02/FB03 bundle:

This is the same line I was getting on a koa2 with 5.9.2 on it. It looks like they have fully closed that.

If it is jailbroken, you can try converting it from an FB02 package to an FB03 package, that may need a device type specified, I am not sure.

Code:
./kindletool convert -k update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin
./kindletool create recovery2 -d pw3 update_PW3_5.7.4_initial_converted.tar.gz update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.fb03.bin

It looks like you would need to update kindletool to just add an SP01 header to FB02 packages, although it looks like it might be a pretty easy change.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #7
hius07
Wizard

Will mrpi help (without changing the header)?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 AM   #8
hius07
Wizard

Well, failed with mrpi: bin file destroyed, rebooted.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #9
Onlyzen
Onlyzen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
How to Downgrade Kindle’s Firmware Version (the 2016 method)

A method to downgrade Kindle’s firmware to factory default version without any physical operation. A Kindle without jailbreaking can also use this method.

These Kindle models can use this method:

Kindle Touch 2/3
Kindle Paperwhite 2/3
Kindle Voyage
Kindle Oasis

--Part 1. Download the downgrade bin file for your Kindle--

Kindle Oasis

update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin (757MB)

Kindle Voyage

update_KV_5.5.0_initial.bin (524MB)

Kindle Paperwhite 2

update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin (377MB)

Kindle Paperwhite 3

update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin (758MB)

MD5: 14f2267189b9ecc51d89e4e86f201e75

Kindle Touch 2

update_KT2_5.6.0_initial.bin (730MB)

Kindle Touch 3

update_KT3_5.8.0_initial.bin (737MB)

--Part 2. Identify your Kindle model--

If you are not sure about your Kindle model, please check the table below.

Press “Ctrl/Cmd + F” to search on this page, and input the first 4 digits of your Kindle serial number. If you can get the result, please check the nickname, and download the specific downgrade bin file from the links above. If get no result, it indicates your Kindle is not eligible for downgrading to factory default firmware.

If you can’t find your Kindle model in the table below, please don’t do the downgrade or jailbreak job.
For example, if you have a Kindle Voyage of which S/N starts with B052, you can’t do the downgrade job. Because your model (S/N starts with B052) is not included in the table below.
S/N Prefix Model Name Nicknames
B0D4, 90D4 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (U.S., Intl.) PW2
B05A, 905A Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (Japan) PW2, PW2J
B0D5, 90D5 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (U.S.) [Mostly] PW2, PW2G
B0D6, 90D6 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (Canada] PW2, PW2GC
B0D7, 90D7 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (Europe) PW2, PW2GB
B0D8, 90D8 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (Russia) PW2, PW2GR
B0F2, 90F2 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (Japan) PW2, PW2GJ
B017, 9017 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) (U.S., Intl.) PW2, PW2IL
B060, 9060 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (4GB) (Europe) PW2, PW2GBL
B062, 9062 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (4GB) (U.S.) [Mostly] PW2, PW2GL
B05F, 905F Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (4GB) (Canada) PW2, PW2GCL
B061, 9061 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) 3G + WiFi (4GB) (Brazil) PW2, PW2GBRL
B0C6, 90C6 Kindle Basic (2014) KT2, BASIC
B0DD, 90DD Kindle Basic (2014) (Australia) KT2, BASIC
G000K9 Kindle Basic 2 Black KT3
G000KA Kindle Basic 2 White KT3
B013, 9013 Kindle Voyage WiFi KV
B054 Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (U.S.) KV, KVG
B053 Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (Europe) KV, KVGB
B052 Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (Mexico) KV, KVGM
B02A Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (Asia ?? ) KV
G090G1 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi PW3
G090G2 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 3G + WiFi (U.S.) [Mostly] PW3, PW3G
G090G4 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 3G + WiFi (Mexico) PW3, PW3GM
G090G5 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 3G + WiFi (Europe, Australia) PW3, PW3GB
G090G6 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 3G + WiFi (Canada) PW3, PW3GC
G090G7 Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 3G + WiFi (Japan) PW3, PW3GJ
G0B0GC Kindle Oasis WiFi KOA
G0B0GD Kindle Oasis 3G + WiFi (U.S.) [Mostly] KOA, KOAG
G0B0GU Kindle Oasis 3G + WiFi (Europe) KOA, KOAGB

--Part 3. Downgrade Kindle firmware step by step guide--

Turn on Kindle’s airplane mode.
Make sure you’ve make a backup of all the books in your Kindle. Remove any device passcode or parental control passcode. Charge your Kindle’s battery.
Make sure you’ve downloaded the downgrade bin file (refer to part 1).
Connect Kindle to computer with USB cable.
Copy the downgrade bin file into the root path of Kindle’s storage.
Safely eject Kindle from computer.
Go to the homescreen of Kindle, tap “menu” –> “Settings” –> “Menu” –> “Update your Kindle”.
Wait patiently until the process finishes (it might take long, so make sure the Kindle has certain battery).

--Part 4-Kindle Paperwhite 3 uers MUST read this part--

Some Kindle Paperwhite 3 (especially the white version) users reported that their device stuck at the start screen (which you can see a tree image) or loop in restarting.

If you also encounter this problem, please connect your Kindle to computer with USB. If you can see the Kindle’s storage drive all the time, please check solution A; if only see the Kindle’s storage drive flashes, please check solution B.

Solution A

Connect Kindle to computer with USB.
Make sure the downgrade bin file is still in Kindle’s root path.
Safely eject Kindle;
Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds;
This shoudl solve the problem.
Solution B

Connect Kindle to computer with USB.
Create a file called “DO_FACTORY_RESTORE” (without extension name).
Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots.
When you see Kindle’s storage drive shows up in your computer, quickly copy the “DO_FACTORY_RESTORE” file to Kindle’s root path.
Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots, then the device should work normally, but the firmware changes to consumer version.
Download 5.7.4 bin file and copy it to Kindle’s root path.
Safely eject Kindle.
Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots, then your Kindle should be in 5.7.4 firmware version and work correctly.
Another solution provided by this blog’s reader (command line)

This solution should be used in case when the Kindle’s storage drive flashes in the list of hard drives. That means it should be mount manually. Somehow it helps Kindle to continue the booting process.

1. Connect your Kindle to PC.
2. Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots.
3. Open command line (cmd.exe) and type
diskpart
4. DISKPART> string will appear. Then type
list volume
5. You’ll get the list of drives connected to your PC like this one:
DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
———- — ———– —– ———- ——- ——— ——–
Volume 0 F New UDF DVD-ROM 4482 MB Healthy
Volume 1 E NTFS Partition 156 GB Healthy
Volume 2 D NTFS Partition 309 GB Healthy
Volume 3 System Rese NTFS Partition 547 MB Healthy System
Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 223 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 5 G Removable 0 B No Media
6. Find removable volume with 0B size and No Media status. In my case it was “Volume 5”
7. Next type the following string according to the information gained on previous step:
select volume 5
Done, your Kindle should now boot normally.
Onlyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the point?

What is the point of posting another site's rewrite of our own jailbreak here, without credit or reference to the author.
Just because they failed to credit where they plagiarized it from should not give you the right to do the same.

Not a very good introduction to yourself as a new member, first post.
Here is the original that was ripped from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

Last edited by knc1; 11-08-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Well, failed with mrpi: bin file destroyed, rebooted.
I know there is also a way to do it that someone has written, using direct flash commands, but I cannot find the thread.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
hius07
Wizard

Tried to put factory firmware 5.7.4 to the device and NOT disconnecting from the PC reboot it with the long press of the button. Update process started and immediately failed with error code 15.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Tried to put factory firmware 5.7.4 to the device and NOT disconnecting from the PC reboot it with the long press of the button. Update process started and immediately failed with error code 15.
yeah, that is the same failure - the SP01 header missing.

Do you know if your user is using windows, mac, or linux?

And I would need to be reminded which file he is using.

I think I can give you a command to combine the headers with the existing package, and it will not require kindletool

it would be a very small file, and the command would look roughly like this, but it depends on the operating system.

copy sp01.header + update_factory.bin = update_factory.signed.bin

And then you would use that signed file. - This would only work if the device is already properly jailbroken.

Here is how I tested it on linux - but I did not install

I did those kindletool command I showed to create the FB03 package type. ( recovery2 )

The signature part of the file only includes the actual data, not the package type.

Then I ran this:
Code:
dd if=update.fb03.bin bs=192 skip=0 count=1 of=sp01.header
cat sp01.header update.bin > update.sp01.bin
It may be easier to get your person to download kindletool and run those command I gave though.

Or if you can do these commands And give them this fle to try. I dont have a good place to do this and make the file public

the FB03 ( recovery2) packages are safer, bucause you can put the device type in them, so you are less likely to brick someones device, buy using the wrong package.

Last edited by coplate; 11-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
hius07
Wizard

Thank you, I will ask the user if he agrees to explore, he was a little bit nervous of bricking the device.

Another user got a problem after installing hotfix on the PW3 5.9.2 - his device works fine, jb ok, but it became invisible for computer - just charging, no usb-device detected.
He is not sure that it was caused with the hotfix (he tried to use a cable with magnetic connection at the same time).
How do you think, is hotfix dangerous to 5.9.2?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you, I will ask the user if he agrees to explore, he was a little bit nervous of bricking the device.

Another user got a problem after installing hotfix on the PW3 5.9.2 - his device works fine, jb ok, but it became invisible for computer - just charging, no usb-device detected.
He is not sure that it was caused with the hotfix (he tried to use a cable with magnetic connection at the same time).
How do you think, is hotfix dangerous to 5.9.2?
I am not sure, which is why I put that new line "Not tested with 5.9.2" in the jail break instructions a few days ago.

I have updated one of my jail broken, PW3 devices to 5.9.2 and have been able to reproduce the "book image stuck on main page" for deleted active documents.

But that is as far as I could get with the time available.
Once the clerk duties of the KOA2 jail break slow down a bit, then I will get back to the PW3-5.9.2 problems.

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade