Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Book folk might enjoy watching this auction Action Comics #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

I have been a collector since I was a kid in the late 60s and this was always that holy grail. I know more copies have surfaced since then. At the time I first became interested in comic books I believe there were 4 or 5 copies known to exist. Now there are more but still it's pretty much non-existant.

Wanna predict the final price? I am thinking in this condition it has to push the $500k level. It's not mint or even close but the cover and pages are good to excellent, the color is good and it is complete. It would have helped had they had it graded. But on something like this, unless it's pure mint or just a mess, the condition is really not that much of an issue. It's the corner stone for all collectors and especially so for a DC collector.

The whole collection that seller is offering right now it amazing. Best I ever had was the first 20 books in the Fantastic Four series, Showcase #4 (first Silver Age Flash) and the first 10 from the Hulk Series. Last I had 15 of the first 25 Spiderman series, did not have #1 but had 3, 4, 6, 8 and a bunch of the teens and a few 20s. BTW, those did pay for my college tuition. I would have been better off working at a 7-11 and keeping them...I would have made more money all were in XF to mint condition. Not sure what that is in today's rating system but it was as good as they came back then. I still did OK as they all, with about 100 other good to key comics of the Silver Age era, did like I mention, pay for my college degrees.

So, enjoy of you are into this or ever were...

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-03-2008 at 09:10 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
US$90,000 for a comic and it hasn't met its reserve? All people completely MAD?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
now it's even higher...

i especially love the ad just under the minimum bid amount :

"(Enter US $90,200.00 or more)
Up to $25 back with eBay MasterCard"

well, if there's up to 25$ back... !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My brothers destroyed my comic book collection. Of course it was just entertainment to me so it wasn't a big loss. It probably would have paid for my college but my university was only $575 a semester my last year so I was able to work part time and still pay for school.

I'm watching this auction, I'm amazed at what collectors will pay.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm amazed at what collectors will pay.
seriously.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you consider, however, that you can buy a pristine first edition of Dickens' "Christmas Carol" (the most desirable and rarest of his books - a small print run and hand coloured) for around £20,000 (US$40,000), it makes you wonder at the relative values put on some things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
For me, a pristine first edition of a Dickens' novel is no more valuable than a modern paperback version, paying thousands of dollars for one is as mysterious as paying huge amounts for a rare comic.

But, there are obviously collectors who value these things as objects in themselves, and are prepared to sustain a market for them. I don't understand it, but each to their own .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
right, the value is to whoever can afford such things. My family business was and is antiques so I know why most people collect and its because of the history associated with the items. What an item means in relation to society is something that is rewarding to own. People who do so have the privledge to become a custodian for our history. It matters not whether it's a book, piece of jewelry or art work...it all goes into telling a story about the evolution of the human race.

It is a shame though that because we depend on money to survive now, that people surrender their privledge and the satisfaction to know you can lay your hands on something that might have shaped a culture, made a trek around the world before the industrial age or who knows what.

And then there are those who simply are filling a void in themselves with 'things'. They have an appreciation for the items but on a different level.

No matter it is all fun. One of my prize items is a map of the Duche of Brabant (Brussells today) ca 1634. It came from an atlas and is about 28"x18" in size. It is not worth a lot of money but it is a great thing to find a piece of paper that survived that long. HEY, I just realized it's the same era as the 1634 book...now that is cool.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote