Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
[SOLVED] Thumbnail images incorrect display

I have added custom covers to a number of epub books in Calibre, using the "Generate Cover" plugin. The ebooks look perfect in Calibre and when you open the books and check page 1 (the cover) on my Kobo Glo they look fine too. However, the thumbnails are all wacky on many of them. Most show a small (half size?) cover image stuck in the upper left hand corner of the thumbnail, with white space all around.
What can I do to fix this?

Last edited by cortman; 06-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
I have added custom covers to a number of epub books in Calibre, using the "Generate Cover" plugin. The ebooks look perfect in Calibre and when you open the books and check page 1 (the cover) on my Kobo Glo they look fine too. However, the thumbnails are all wacky on many of them. Most show a small (half size?) cover image stuck in the upper left hand corner of the thumbnail, with white space all around.
What can I do to fix this?
When you send the books to your Glo from Calibre, do you have the upload covers for books checked in the Kobo driver options?

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch Driver Options.png
Views:	365
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	107406  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you send the books to your Glo from Calibre, do you have the upload covers for books checked in the Kobo driver options?

Regards,
David
I forgot to mention that I saved them to disk, then re-imported them so that the cover image was embedded in the epub, so I don't think that setting will make any difference, but I can try it.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Depends on where the image is embedded. By default Kobo uses the first page of the epub as the cover. I believe the calibre plugin overrides that behaviour.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
cortman
Zealot

I will have to take back what I said about the cover looking fine in the book too; that doesn't appear to be the case either.
Are there any solutions?
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo covers 101: The cover images are generated from fhe first page of the book. If that looks good, then the cover should look good.

From the sounds of it, the covers you want are on the first page, but are not centred and automatically sized to fill the page. You can fix that manually by editing the book and changing the code in the page. But, using either the Polish Books function of calibre, or the Modify ePub plugin should do this as well. Both of these update the files in the library, and will skip the save to disk and re-add that you are doing.

An alternative is what the other David suggested. The driver can send the cover files to the device when the book is sent. The options David was pointing to will do this. If the book is already on the device and you don't want to change it, you can use the Kobo Utilities plugin to send the covers separately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortman View Post
I forgot to mention that I saved them to disk, then re-imported them so that the cover image was embedded in the epub, so I don't think that setting will make any difference, but I can try it.
What it should do is to generate the 3 sizes of image with the large image sized to fill as much of the screen of your Glo as possible within the limits of maintaining the aspect ratio of the image. I've seen some very odd coding on the cover pages of ebooks that have resulted in equally odd looking images on a Kobo. Sending the images from Calibre skips the need for your Kobo to generate the images.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
cortman
Zealot

It appears that running "Polish Books" and selecting to replace/fix the cover has fixed the problem! Thanks a lot for everyone's suggestions!